    tried "run as administrator" and "taking ownership" What else can I do to
    correct this?
    Thanks.

    Bob, Mar 18, 2008

  2. Hi
    What the IP scheme is?
    How are you trying to connect?
    Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 18, 2008

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks for the response Jack.
    I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see when I
    run ipconfig?
    I navigate to the executable and click it.
    Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
    assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.

    Bob, Mar 18, 2008
  4. Bob

    Dave Guest

    the executable is on the remote machine and the camera plugged into that
    machine via usb?? if so, you have very little chance of that working. Most
    modern windows apps need to be installed on the machine they are running
    from so that all the associated dll's, ocx's, and devices they need to
    access are available. some webcams supply you with a streaming application
    that lets you connect to the camera using something like windows media
    player or a web browser that supports a java or active-x control supplied by
    the webcam. you would have to read the manual for the camera to find out if
    they support some kind of remote access like that.

    Dave, Mar 18, 2008
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Dave
    The webcam (software and hardware) is preinstalled on the remote machine
    which is a laptop.

    Thanks for the tip. I'll check out remote access.

    Bob, Mar 18, 2008
  6. Hi
    Each Network Device has an IP number. These numbers have to be on the same
    subnet in order to allow smooth Network traffic.
    As an example a Network device can have an IP of 192.168.1.100 the first
    three groups of numbers have to be same for all devices in order to be on
    the same Network.
    192.168.1.100 is on the same network but 192.168.2.100 is not.
    The camera might come with an IP number that does not match the Network, and
    thus you can not connect to it. Read the manual to find what is the default
    setting of the camera.
    As for the Firewall, it depends on what Firewall is used and how it is
    configured. You can have a situation that certain type of traffic is allowed
    and other does Not.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 19, 2008
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Jack,
    The camera is preinstalled on my Acer XP laptop which runs Zone Alarm
    firewall. I've added the camera executable to the allowed programs.
    A manual for the webcam was not included with the laptop. The "Help" within
    the software does not address the issue.

    On the Vista machine running Windows firewall I've tried (without success)
    to add the camera executable to the exceptions but receive "The specified
    path does not exist".
    Dave suggested "Remote Access" is the way to go. What do you think?

    Bob, Mar 19, 2008
  8. Hi
    I thought you have a real IP Webcam.
    The Webcams that are embedded in Laptops are Not universal in the way the
    work. They are Not a natural network Device and sharing them with other
    computer depends on how their propriety software was designed by the
    manufacture.
    If its own software does not allow sharing you can try Remote control, If
    you Network is fast enough you can use an Application like UltraVNC to
    control and see the laptop's screen while it is running the Webcam. (
    http://www.uvnc.com/install/index.html ).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 19, 2008
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Sorry I didn't mention the cam was embedded in my laptop in my original
    post. I wasn't aware that it would make a difference.
    I'll check out your suggestion.
    Thanks again.

    Bob, Mar 19, 2008