Access point: Second laptop kicks first one out

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Boris, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    I added a Netgear WG602 wireless access point to my home network today.
    Everything works fine as long as I'm the only one connecting to this access
    point. When a second laptop is started though after a couple of seconds the
    first laptop is not online any more. Actually the wireless connection to the
    access point still exists. The laptop keeps sending data but does not
    receive anything (or nearly anything). When I try to ping the gateway all
    packets are lost.

    When I repair the connection (the first laptop has Windows XP Pro. SP2
    installed) everything works again. However you see the same problems after a
    few seconds on the other laptop (which has Windows XP Home SP2 installed).
    Again Windows says everything's fine (there is even a strong signal).
    However no data is received anymore.

    I would appreciate any hints how to get two laptops to work with an access
    point at the same time. I don't know if it's important but the network is
    currently WPA/TPK encrypted and uses channel 10. There are a few other
    wireless networks around me.

    Thanks in advance,
    Boris

    Boris, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Boris

    David Hettel Guest

    Hmm it sounds to me like you are using static addressing, and have assigned
    both laptops the same IP address.

    Wireless - Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/#wireless
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Boris

    John Navas Guest

    Try it with *all* security (WPA, MAC filtering, etc.) disabled. Make
    sure SSID broadcast is enabled, and is a *unique* value. Best to start
    with the access point reset to factory default settings, with just the
    SSID changed.

    John Navas, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Boris

    Boris Guest

    I switched off all security functions and made sure SSID is broadcast. The
    SSID is unique, too. I also use DHCP and no static IP addresses. Again only
    one of the two connected laptops could actually use the Internet.

    There doesn't seem to be any problem with the wireless connections
    themselves. While one laptop is used to browse the Internet the other laptop
    can talk to the webserver in the access point (for remote configuring).
    However both laptops browsing the Internet at the same time is not possible.

    Could this be a problem caused by the router and/or Internet provider? The
    access point itself has been patched to the latest firmware.

    Boris

    Boris, Nov 14, 2006
  5. Boris

    Boris Guest

    I forgot to add that I changed the channel from 10 to 1 for testing
    purposes. However I couldn't find then the wireless network anymore - it
    didn't show up in WZC. I had to connect to the access point with an Ethernet
    cable to change the channel again as the network had completely disappeared.

    Boris

    Boris, Nov 14, 2006
  6. Boris

    John Navas Guest

    Do the two machines have different IP addresses?

    John Navas, Nov 14, 2006
  7. Boris

    John Navas Guest

    Bad sign. Suggests strong interference or defective hardware.

    John Navas, Nov 14, 2006
  8. Boris

    David Hettel Guest

    What is the IP address of your Laptop and the subnet mask? To me it sounds
    as if your WG602 is not configured correctly, or it's DHCP server has been
    disabled. I suggest posting the details of the laptop's IP addresses and
    subnet mask both when connected to the WG602 and when the WG602 is removed
    from the network. You may also want to check that the two laptops have
    different MAC addresses, there's a very slim chance that for some reason
    they might have the same address.

    David Hettel, Nov 14, 2006
  9. Hi

    Access Point was added to which device?

    Do you have a Router?

    Did you configure the Access Point so that there would be only one DHCP
    active?

    Is the Access Point core subnet the same as what ever is doing the Routing?

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 14, 2006
  10. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Thanks for all your replies so far! Here are some more details to track down
    this problem:

    * DHCP is enabled.
    * The two laptops have differenct MAC addresses.
    * The access point is connected with an Ethernet cable to a ADSL modem -
    actually a set top box. See
    http://www.homechoice.co.uk/overview/set_top_box.html. This set top box
    isn't mine and wasn't configured by me. I just plugged in the access point
    to the port called "network" and all worked until I started a second laptop.
    * The IP address of laptop #1 is 89.168.23.181 currently. Subnet mask:
    255.255.248.0. Gateway: 89.168.23.254
    * The IP address of laptop #2 is 89.168.24.165 currently. Subnet mask:
    255.255.248.0. Gateway: 89.168.31.254
    * The IP addresses of the DHCP and DNS servers are the same.

    What I don't understand is why the IP address of the gateway is not the
    same. Could this be a problem?

    Boris

    Boris, Nov 15, 2006
  11. Boris

    Boris Guest

    After browsing the website of HomeChoice which seems to be the provider here
    where I am I found this on
    http://www.homechoice.co.uk/faq/IfIgetwirelessbroadbandcanIuseitonmorethanonecomputer.html:
    "You can connect up to three desktop computers without using wires."

    Can someone explain what that means? Where does this limit come from? Can
    they configure something on their end that you can't connect more than three
    desktop computers? If there is such a limit and as I simply plugged in my
    own access point - is it possible that their connection is configured for
    one desktop computer by default (the website says something that *they* can
    provide wireless access; maybe they change the limit then once they can
    charge money for it)?

    Boris

    Boris, Nov 15, 2006
  12. Boris

    David Hettel Guest

    From what you've posted, it appears to me that your DHCP server is NOT
    working in the Netgear WG602 box. You should be getting an address in the
    192.168.xxx.xxx range generally 192.168.0.xxx and the netgear would be at
    192.168.0.1. What appears to be happening is you're pulling and address from
    the ADSL modem. And if that is indeed what is happening then yes the network
    can limit how many computers can connect.

    Sorry I just did a search on you Netgear WG602 it is a Wireless access
    point, not a wireless router, that means the netgear doesn't have a DHCP
    server in it. That it is not the correct thing for your needs.
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/WirelessAccessPoints/WirelessAccessPoints/WG602.aspx I
    should have done that first. You don't have the hardware that you need. What
    you need/want is something along the lines of the KWGR614 wireless router.

    David Hettel, Nov 15, 2006
  13. Boris

    Boris Guest

    I just looked up the documentation to be sure: You are right, the WG602 has
    DHCP *client* support. However I actually don't care as the laptops do get
    different IP addresses? That said everything should still work fine no
    matter from which DHCP server the IP addresses come from? From what I
    understand now the restriction is an articifial one coming from the
    provider?

    Boris

    Boris, Nov 15, 2006
  14. Boris

    David Hettel Guest

    If your WG602 had a DHCP server, and the NAT that goes with that it would
    appear to your ISP as one device taking up one IP address. As it is now your
    network appears to your ISP as three devices, the WG602 taking one IP
    address and your two laptops each with a different IP address. Your ISP is
    providing you with three real, public IP address. Those IP address take/cost
    money there is only a limited number of them available. Think of them as
    store fronts on the main street downtown. There are only so many stores on
    the main street. After a while you run out of street that is still downtown.
    If you want a store, you're going to need to either buy it or rent it.
    Because you buy or rent one, it doesn't mean you get the ones on either side
    of it for free too.

    So yes you could call your ISP up and tell them what you need to do, you
    have X number of computers plus one access point that you need IP address
    for and I'm sure they can provide a package that will fit your needs. But
    they are going to charge you for the IP address you are using. Or you could
    get a wireless router, that has both a DHCP client and a server, that would
    use only one IP address, and provide the ability to connect many computers
    to the internet all at the same time. The choice is yours. Right now your
    equipment doesn't support what you want to do. I'm sorry.

    David Hettel, Nov 15, 2006
  15. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Is the access point itself really using another IP address? I wonder as I
    should see then its IP address when I trace the gateway's IP address?
    Thanks for your explanations! What I wonder though is what kind of set top
    box HomeChoice provides. HomeChoice seems to be the provider here (I'm
    really new here where I am and still try to figure out the technical
    environment), and the set top box they provide is this:
    http://www.homechoice.co.uk/overview/set_top_box.html
    Unfortunately there is no technical data about this set top box. I wonder if
    it has a built-in router which can be activated somehow. Has anyone any clue
    where this set top box comes from (there is only a picture at the webpage
    without any name or link to the vendor)?

    Thanks for all your help so far,
    Boris

    Boris, Nov 15, 2006
  16. Boris

    John Navas Guest

    No, since the access point is just a bridge, not a router. The IP
    assigned to the AP is used only for the web management interface.

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2006
  17. Hi
    Hmm... While Access Points do not Do NAT.
    Most Access Points (AP) do have DHCP server (including the one discussed
    here the WG602).
    In a peer to peer Network with No Internet connection there is No need for a
    Router, and thus No credible DHCP, so the AP has one to assign an IP to the
    Wireless client.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 16, 2006
  18. Boris

    John Navas Guest

    Not true -- the WG602, like other APs, has a DHCP _client_, not a DHCP
    _server_. The DHCP client is used to set the IP address of the web
    management interface for some other device acting as a DHCP server.
    Again, not true -- the AP is just a bridge, and so has no role in IP
    assignment, like any other network bridge. IP assignment is typically
    done by a DHCP server on the network or manually.
    Perhaps you should drop the credential claim.

    John Navas, Nov 16, 2006
  19. Boris

    John Navas Guest

    Oops -- typo. That last line should have been:

    management interface from some other device acting as a DHCP server.

    John Navas, Nov 16, 2006