    Ethernet? Do I require a special cable? I have a laptop with me at
    all times, but it doesn't have a Serial port (like most modern
    laptops).

    chris.crowder, Oct 4, 2007

  2. chris.crowder

    Merv Guest

    if you work on Cisco router and switches then acquire a Keyspan USB to
    serial adapter so that you can access the console.

    Do not buy just any USB to serial adpater because most of them are
    simply junk.

    You will also need a DB9 to RJ45 connector and a Cisco RJ45 console
    cable

    Merv, Oct 4, 2007

  3. chris.crowder

    speedo Guest

    speaking of usb to serial adapters being junk, does anyone else have
    issue's with garbled text when you paste into the terminal app? I'm
    using a mac so it could just be my drivers but I've always been
    curious if this is just me or if others experience the same thing?
    (I've messed with flowcontrol to no avail)

    speedo, Oct 4, 2007
  4. chris.crowder

    Scott Perry Guest

    Garbled text when pasting to a terminal application? Paste smaller sections
    at a time. The receive buffer will get overloaded on most devices at 9600
    baud if you paste an entire configuration at once.

    Larger ASA devices come with a management port. It can be configured as a
    regular interface or a stateful LAN failover port, but it is intended for
    use as ethernet management port.

    --

    ===========
    Scott Perry

    Scott Perry, Oct 4, 2007
  5. chris.crowder

    Merv Guest

    check if your trminal emulation program has an option to specify the
    inter-character delay

    If so increase this until problem is not seen

    ..
    I use SecureCRT and it does have this functionality and I have had to
    use it for a smilir issue

    Merv, Oct 6, 2007