Acceptable Perfmon values tested on the 70-291??

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by ISApose, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. ISApose

    ISApose Guest

    Hello, I am doing practice questions on the 70-291 and one of them asked to
    figure out why response times were slow with a server.

    they show a table with average, minimum, and maximum performance counter
    values of Logical Disk, memory, NIC, and proc.

    Then asks which component is the problem. I guessed wrong, and the
    explanation states:

    "The HDD is the most likely cause of the problem, as indicated by the high
    Logical Disk - Ave Disk Queue Length values in the exhibit. This counter
    monitors the number of both read and write requests that were queued for the
    selected disk during the sample interval. An acceptable value for this
    counter can be determined by adding 2 to the number of spindles present in
    the system.... so on, and so on"

    QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance counters??
    This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.

    Is this runoff from 70-290?

    ISApose, Dec 4, 2008

  2. ISApose

    JohnB Guest

    Where is your practice test question from?

    I'm studying for 291 also, and taking practice tests from Kaplan IT, and
    there isn't a single question in there like that. There were lots of those
    questions on the 290 practice tests.

    JohnB, Dec 4, 2008

  3. ISApose

    timm88 Guest

    I took the 70-291 test a couple months ago...I don't remember if there were
    perfmon questions on it , but the microsoft press book I used covers it in
    chapter 12. I know I had those questions on the 70-290 test.

    timm88, Dec 5, 2008
  4. All MSPress Training Kits have references to the specific objectives covered
    in the chapter.

    In the case of the 70-291 Chapter 12 ("Maintaining a Network
    Infrastructure")

    Exam Objectives in this Chapter:

    Monitor network traffic
    Troubleshoot connectivity to the Internet
    Troubleshoot server services

    But I don't see any question like this in my 70-291 MSPress TK Chapter 12...

    So I guess we're back to the original question:

    Where is your practice test question coming from???

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 5, 2008
  5. You *need* to know basic performance requirements for the four subsystems of
    interest.

    e.g.
    Disk Queue Length <= 2 per spindle
    CPU Utilization <= 80%
    NIC Utilization <=50% (given that 65% utilization is about the practical
    ceiling of a NIC)

    Remember, 70-291 is about the Network Infrastructure. Everything in a
    network infrastructure is dependent on the performance of the servers
    supporting that infrastructure.

    Of specific note would be the objectives:

    Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolution
    Monitor DNS. Tools might include System Monitor, Event Viewer, Replication
    Monitor, and DNS debug logs.

    Maintaining a Network Infrastructure
    Monitor network traffic. Tools might include Network Monitor and System
    Monitor.

    It's also possible that this leaked over from the 70-293.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 5, 2008
  6. ISApose

    ISApose Guest

    Transender

    ISApose, Dec 5, 2008
  7. ISApose

    ISApose Guest

    Ok, this makes sense then. Thanks for your help everyone!

    ISApose, Dec 5, 2008