    but not worthy of a journalistic account.
    The article says "...the self-described Russian spammer". I still like the
    Dotes 'rumainian hacker" theory :)

    Jimchip, May 7, 2006

  2. Tracymidd

    Jimchip Guest

    [snip]

    And here you are chiming in...

    Jimchip, May 7, 2006

  3. Tracymidd

    Mara Guest

    I particularly liked this bit:

    "Blue Security's website was operating normally on Friday, after being
    inaccessible most of the week. Reshef said on Thursday the attack appeared to
    involve a breach of the internet's backbone that blocked incoming traffic to the
    site.

    However Todd Underwood, chief operations and security officer at internet
    routing analysis firm Renesys, said the site's inaccessibility seemed to result
    from a traditional denial of service attack, in which an attacker floods a
    target with incoming packets of data."

    So, in other words, either BS is flat-out lying, or they haven't got a clue what
    they're doing. Or both. I'd say both. Given that they also threw the attack on
    an innocent party, I'd lean more towards the former, though.
    Just more publicity shilling.
    It does begin to look more and more like a publicity stunt. MD can be a little
    quick on the trigger at times, but usually he's pretty much on the money.

    Mara, May 7, 2006
  4. Tracymidd

    Mara Guest

    Yep. Like moths to a flame, the trolls come out.

    "More food for the Bin Monster."

    Mara, May 7, 2006
  5. Tracymidd

    Jimchip Guest

    You've given bad advice on spam just recently. And yes, those ISP
    blocklists you've touted can be supp;emented with other blocklists and
    news.admin.net-abuse.sightings is a source.

    The only thing silly is "You mean there are people who actually re-post spam
    to make sure it dosn't get missed?"

    Jimchip, May 7, 2006
  6. Tracymidd

    Mara Guest

    And there you have it. Irrefutable proof that Whiskers has no idea what usenet
    abuse is, about abuse desks, about .sightings, about usenet, what the abuse
    groups in general are for. In spades, no less.
    In fact it is the sole reason it exists. And it is definite proof that Whiskers
    was wrong in the beginning and has been wrong throughout. But I'll bet you any
    amount of money you care to name that sh/he/it never, ever admits it.

    You know. Just like Magrat.
    It's not just silly, it's stupid, all the more so because this was "Whisker's"
    opportunity to actually *learn* something, and instead, sh/h/it chose to troll.
    It will loudly proclaim its opinion, even if proven wrong, to be more important
    that established rules.

    "You *are* the company you keep, after all."

    Mara, May 7, 2006
  7. Tracymidd

    Mara Guest

    Mara, May 7, 2006
  8. Tracymidd

    Whiskers Guest

    I've given my advice; you've given yours. What's the problem?

    If you are still using "blocklists" you need to move into this century
    soon.
    Not as silly as paying someone for the privilege of telling them all about
    every item of spam you get ;)) Ah well, to each his own.

    Whiskers, May 7, 2006
  9. Tracymidd

    Whiskers Guest

    snip