    Hi I dont know if this is the right place to ask but its a start, How do i
    report someone for abuse on newsgroups please.
    If anyone can help, Its greatly appreciated.

    Tracymidd, May 5, 2006

  2. Contact your ISP's abuse team, see what they say.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 5, 2006

  3. Tracymidd

    Tony Guest

    You have to work out from the headers of the post where it originated from
    and report it to whoever controls the news server from where it was posted.
    You could try using Spamcop (www.spamcop.net) but it is possible to make a
    post totally anonymously so that it is virtually impossible to trace where
    it originated from.

    Tony, May 5, 2006
  4. Tracymidd

    Tracymidd Guest

    I am on ntl myself, but just having a few problems with someone on a
    newsgroup, and
    I was just going to report it to Ntl, have been to Ntl website and cant find
    any link at all there
    and when i go to contact it takes me in circles, lol.
    Thanks
    Tracy

    Tracymidd, May 5, 2006
  5. Tracymidd

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Have you tried?
    http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/NetReport/index.php

    fred-bloggs, May 5, 2006
  6. Tracymidd

    Beck Guest

    Reporting it to your isp will not help. You have to report it to their isp.
    Best thing to do with trolls is to ignore them really. They will soon get
    bored and go away.

    Beck, May 5, 2006
  7. Why not just quietly killfile them and stop responding to their posts?

    Bill McDonald, May 5, 2006
  8. Tracymidd

    gangle Guest

    Define "abuse."

    gangle, May 5, 2006
  9. Hi Tracy
    We can discern from this one post so much about you from the archives,
    your UK location, color of your hair, your photographic hobby, even the
    cell phone you use! etc etc etc. And also have no doubt that users in this
    group will have looked up your details.
    Just as an example but within this thread is an abusive post to you, if you
    right click you'll receive the properties info, which details the path as
    www.dizum.com
    You will quickly realise that the specific poster is probably non-traceable.
    You use OE, which has Tools/Message Rules/Blocked senders list,
    though all it will take is the user to change online names.
    Your only real choice is to not respond to trolls, if there is an abuse addy
    in the headers you can try that, but doubtful to be of any success.

    Just This once, May 5, 2006
  10. Tracymidd

    Jimchip Guest

    Just because you are "just having a few problems with someone on a
    newsgroup" doesn't mean abuse is involved. Some glurd said "Define abuse"...
    Good idea.

    Jimchip, May 5, 2006
  11. Tracymidd

    thanatoid Guest

    The previous post included the following header:
    Looks like a fake.

    This one, OTOH, looks legit.
    Also, abuse can take many different forms and is often simply
    something you have to accept. If someone REALLY hates you, they
    will find a way to get around the "restrictions". Don't get
    paranoid, they're just cowards hiding in the bet.
    Some ISP's will cancel someone's account after a single
    complaint, some will never do so. Anyway, another account is not
    hard to get, so it's a hard war to win.

    It's one of the things one sometimes just has to learn to live
    with and ignore.

    Good luck in any case.

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #14
    Installing a spellchecker is a good start.

    thanatoid, May 5, 2006
  12. Tracymidd

    Whiskers Guest

    snip
    snip

    Probably genuine; it's actually a moderately well known usenet service:
    <http://news.greatnowhere.com/>. How's your Latvian?

    Not all valid genuine domain names have an associated web site, so it
    isn't enough to find no web site to assume that a name 'isn't genuine'.

    The command dig will look in your (or your ISP's) DNS server(s) for any
    occurance of a registered domain name; or you can use a web-based service
    such as <http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html>. Try it with greatnowhere.com

    Whiskers, May 5, 2006
  13. Tracymidd

    Tracymidd Guest

    because the person doing this is Emailing me non stop too, ( direct to
    email, not through newsgroups.)
    Tracym

    Tracymidd, May 5, 2006
  14. Tracymidd

    Tracymidd Guest

    For me to Define this, is to in this case steate what is happening to me, a
    person I dont know for some reason, started swearing and
    generally being not nice, then proceeded to contact me via email to threaten
    me, stating they knew who i was where i lived and that they were
    able to 'get into' my computer, etc,
    to me this is abuse, swearing, cussing, and threatening behaviour.
    I dont want to be spoken to like this, and i would never speak to anyone
    like i have been, and wouldnt threaten anyone.
    some of the things this person has stated in some of the emails to my addy,
    I dont know how they knew, I have never responded to any of the emails sent
    to me alone, only to a couple in a polite manner through the newsgroup.
    This is my description of abuse In 'this' case.
    Tracy

    Tracymidd, May 5, 2006
  15. Tracymidd

    beenthere Guest

    Use the Help system in OE to learn about message rules.
    Set up a rule for email to block the person out.

    beenthere, May 5, 2006
  16. Get a new hotmail account and stop using real email addresses in newsgroups.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 5, 2006
  17. Tracymidd

    thanatoid Guest

    Not too good.
    I could have found a better example but I hope the OP understood
    my point.

    thanatoid, May 5, 2006
  18. Hi Tracey
    It's usenet, you've seemingly lived your life out online, no detail spared?
    You've now been targeted by one of the imbecilic trolls.
    You need to start afresh, a new disposable email addy but only give to
    those you trust. And use a fake email addy for posts in NG's.
    If the emails have threats that cause you genuine concern:
    http://www.cleveland.police.uk/policing_cleveland/districts/middlesbrough/policestations_mboro.htm

    Just This once, May 5, 2006
  19. Tracymidd

    Jimchip Guest

    The emails sound abusive...Forward them with the headers to your ISP.
    Swearing and cussing really isn't abuse. Threatening is. If you are going to
    read USENET then you need to have a little thicker skin wrt swearing and
    cussing. Threats, in any shape or form, (verbal, writing, by letter, by
    email) are not only abuse but may be criminal. You seem to be a little
    sensitive, prissy, even, about someone "not being nice"- People are under no
    obligation to be nice to you. If you are sure you've been threatened and not
    just over-reacting to what you consider someone "not being nice" then you
    need to report it.
    Define "Threaten". You could even post the email parts that you claim are
    threatenting. (Be sure to xxxx out email addresses, etc)

    Jimchip, May 5, 2006
  20. Tracymidd

    Tracymidd Guest

    Nope this person, has named the area I live in, ( a place within 3 miles of
    where I live)
    and stated some things they would like to do to me, (saying they know
    people
    with gun's etc ) beyond that, I have been using the newsgroups since 1999
    with
    no problem and all this came about because I posted an offer to share on a
    freebie group.
    and the person seemed to take offence and it carried on from there,
    I am not over reacting, But just lately had a lot going on in my own life to
    the point I had to move
    'County' because of someone I knew from the net last year causing me grief,
    and stalking me,
    fired a sports starting pistol at me (following me, ringing me, texting
    etc)when I involved the police,
    and the person was waiting for it to go to court, had their friends
    harassing me and breaking my
    windows, (person involved ended up with 18mth in prison for it)
    With the carry on just lately over the last week, it has reminded me of what
    I moved away from,
    I didn't need this and just wanted it to stop, I am going to close the
    matter on here now, I have
    blocked off 4 different emails which they are using, and I am going to deal
    with the matter elsewhere,
    Thanks for the help off those who offered it. I just want to end the matter
    on here.
    Cheers.
    Tracy

    Tracymidd, May 6, 2006