Absolutely baffled - card not seeing network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi - I have a wireless network at home and 3 laptops "see" each other. My pc
    is not able to see the network. The wireless router is 2 days old and is a
    Belkin F5D7633uk4A and installed in the pc (bought 14 days ago) was a D-Link
    PCI card. This did not recognise the router, despite the efforts of D-link
    help desk (3 hours worth!).

    The D-Link card works fine in another pc and sees the network, so we do know
    that the card is fine. I do not wish to use this computer as part of the
    network - too slow etc.

    To avoid compaability issues, I bought yesterday a Belkin PCI cardF5D7001uk
    and installed it into my pc. Again it does not recognise the wireless
    network.

    It seemed to me that having spent 8 hours with Belkin sorting out that there
    is nothing wrong with the card and that all the configuration settings for
    wreless networking are correct insofar as the router works and the card
    works, there is probably something else wrong with my pc.

    I re-installed windows xp pro. The system recognises that the PCI card is
    there, has the correct drivers, but even though the pc is in the same room as
    the router, no signal is being received by the PCI card.

    I have, of course, checked all the obvious settings, taken off firewalls,
    removed AV software etc,wireless zero configuration etc. I have connected to
    the router with an ethernet cable, so I can access the internet.

    Is there something fundamental that I have somehow disabled in the operating
    system or setup which is causing this mega headache for me?

    The alternative, and I suppse obvious, is to keep the ethernet connection
    and set up the system so that this machine is part of the network, but not
    actually connected wirelessly. But how I do that, I haven't the faintest
    idea - after all, the manuals assume that everything is going to be hunkydory
    and all designed as a wireless setup.

    Sorry to ramble.

    Guest, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Did you make the security settings identical on the card and the router? If
    you didn't, they won't see each other.

    Pat

    Patrick Cleburne, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Quaoar Guest

    If you have set up MAC address filtering in the router, you will have to
    add the new MAC address to the filtering list. Also, if you access the
    router's DHCP client list, do you see the new computer name and MAC
    address? If you do, the problem is likely in the computer itself if you
    have already added the new MAC address to the filter list (if you use
    it). Download (Google for) winsockxpfix.exe to run on the problem
    computer. This might correct a corrupt TCP/IP stack.

    Running the wireless network setup wizard a second time can correct
    connection issues also.

    Quaoar, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hmmm... don't know about that. Could be the solution. Talk me through it,
    Patrick if you find you have a moment.

    Angus

    Guest, Oct 30, 2005
  5. I've tried this and the same error message comes up - no network in range.

    ok - think that the second option is the one to go for.... a sort of hard
    wire connection into the router and verything else wireless. Is there a
    link that will guide me through this process, please?

    Angus Gilmour, Oct 30, 2005