    This is confusing to many, but it is easy to defeat the boot file
    protection by assigning a drive letter to any hidden partition in Disk
    Management.

    Dominic Payer, May 31, 2009

  2. Many of the standard "extra" programs in Vista and XP are now optional
    downloads from Windows Live. These can be quite large downloads, so be
    selective since you are on a slow connection.

    For newsgroups, you can use Windows Live Mail or any other mail program
    like Thunderbird from Mozilla.

    I assume you know that the official Windows 7 forums are web-based at
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

    Dominic Payer, May 31, 2009

  3. Tony Sperling

    Bill Guest

    Install Virtual XP and then use Outlook Express in the Virtual XP. Drag the
    Outlook Express shortcut to the "All Users" start menu program files and it
    will auto publish to the Win 7 start menu. You can then run Outlook Express
    as a "virtual application" from the Win 7 start menu. For more info and
    FREE download, see the following:

    https://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

    Windows Virtual PC Beta, a feature of Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7
    Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise, provides you the capability to run
    multiple Windows environments such as Windows XP Mode from your Windows 7
    desktop.

    Bill, May 31, 2009
  4. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Well, my knowledge of the English language doesn't get that far.
    :)
    Your question, on top of the excellent argentinean Syrah and the fact that
    today is my birthday, needs further investigation!
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 31, 2009
  5. If the online translators are correct, it may not give the same meaning
    as commonly accepted in English: Gnóstico, hereje de los primeros siglos.

    The Gnostics supposed evolved from the Jewish Kababla which were the
    learned ones, but the Gnostics were denounced as heresy by the early
    church and much of their written works were destroyed.

    Basically if one is Gnostic they are the enlightened ones.

    Bobby Johnson, May 31, 2009
  6. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, May 31, 2009
  7. Well, not sure if the question needs further investigation, but that
    excellent Argentinian Syrah certainly does!

    Happy birthday!

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 31, 2009
  8. Well, I'll be darned if I can remember what chipset it uses. Something in
    the back of my mind tells me 590 wasn't out when I bought this. Even SIW has
    absolutely nothing to say about any chipset, which is funny, it has a lot to
    say about everything else.

    I managed to install the WiFi driver in 'Compatibility Mode' and it works
    reliably enough but, Alas, mostly with no internet. Even though when I try
    and enable this I am told it is all ready installed. I wonder if my
    neighbours router is old and not fully compatibel? But then I also found two
    Unknown Devices - one ATK0110, which SIW tells me is an ACPI device and one
    that I may have forgot, it could be AWY0001 that SIW keeps quiet about.
    These have no drivers in Win 7 and may have an impact on the network. But I
    doubt it.

    I am so tired now I feel like having double-sided Alzheimer's (left-right,
    not up-down). Thank God for dual-booting!

    I appreciate your efforts Carlos - and a Happy Birthday to you! Friday 19
    I'll take my revenge on our Midsommer Festival.

    Tony. . .

    P.S. - I think I ought to stop this thread, the system is installed and
    working (mostly). If I have more I'll return above.

    Tony Sperling, May 31, 2009
  9. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Believe me, it is 590!
    The ATK0110 driver could be found inside (uncompress) the ASUS PC Probe
    package or other of those utilities offered by ASUS.
    I had that ATK0110 thing when using ASUS mobos and I solved that way.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 31, 2009
  10. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, May 31, 2009
  11. Tony Sperling

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Charlie Russel -
    If you're seeing corrupted downloads, you need to get working hardware.
    TCP includes a checksum mechanism that ensures that you should not
    actually be seeing corruption of data in transit, so in general practice
    corruption only occurs in devices that unwrap and rewrap TCP traffic
    (NAT devices are possible candidates, as are proxies), or in cases where
    your PC receives the data into RAM but fails to get said data to disk
    without corrupting.

    Dave Warren, Jun 1, 2009
  12. That is interesting - in truth, I have downloaded a large number of ISO's
    over many years and have seen very few corrupted ones. But they do happen, a
    large number of which may have been downloaded via Torrents - I shall keep
    my mind on the issue in the future, but running a CRC is a harmless
    exercise, after all, and tends to reassure you before cremating any possible
    coasters!

    I thank you Dave for bringing this to light here.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 1, 2009
  13. Tony Sperling

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <#> "Tony Sperling"
    Torrents perform even more block level and file level CRC checking, so a
    corrupt file over torrents is basically impossible outside of software
    bugs, hardware problems, or a corrupt file to begin with.

    Doing an additional CRC check doesn't hurt anything, but if it doesn't
    match (especially on a torrent) then you've got bigger problems.

    Dave Warren, Jun 1, 2009