    but as soon as i restart the pc it goes right back to about blank. Any
    ideas??
    Thanks mike

    mike, Jan 25, 2005

  2. mike

    Noel Paton Guest

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove what is almost certainly
    a variant of the CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.merijn.org/files/CWShredder.exe
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/CWShredder.exe
    http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/CWShredder.zip

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jan 25, 2005

  3. mike

    WormWood Guest

    Do you change your default home page this way?

    1. Go to the Web page you want to make your home page.
    2. On the Internet Explorer Tools menu, click Internet Options.

    3. In the Internet Options box, on the General tab, click the Use
    Current button.

    WormWood, Jan 25, 2005
  4. mike

    Pepperoni Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/5jxlo

    " Vulnerable Systems:
    * Microsoft Internet Explorer

    Homepage hijackers are an effect caused by some toolbar programs, trojans or
    malware. The hostile application changes the default homepage of Internet
    Explorer to something undesired and does not allow the user to set the
    homepage.

    Below are several tools which can be used to find and remove malware which
    causes the effect. Presented here is also a manual step-by-step method of
    removing more persistent homepage hijackers.
    Please reboot the machine after each step before checking if the removal was
    successful." (more)

    http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.html

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html

    Pepperoni, Jan 25, 2005
  5. mike

    WormWood Guest

    Thank you, but you should address this to mike. I use Mozilla and
    haven't had a malware problem yet.

    WormWood, Jan 25, 2005
  6. mike

    dadiOH Guest

    Personally, I like "aboutblank" because I never start IE by clicking on
    a shortcut to it. Instead, I click on a shortcut to the web page. You
    could do the same.

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...