    over NimH.
    Regards.
    Stu.

    Stu, Dec 3, 2003

  2. There are about 4 or 5 different battery chemistries all called
    "lithium", all with different characteristics.

    The non-rechargeable 1.6 V lithium AA cells are different from the 3 V
    lithium coin cells and cylindrical camera batteries, and they're
    different again from 4.2 V rechargeable lithium ion.

    You wouldn't want an AA-sized rechargeable LiIon cell, because it would
    be 3.6-4.2 V, not at all compatible with a device designed for 1.2 V
    NiMH and 1-1.5 V alkaline cells. LiIon also needs special monitoring
    electronics during charge *and discharge*, which a camera designed for
    AA cells would not have.

    On the other hand, if a manufacturer is designing a whole camera from
    scratch, they can put the charge and discharge monitoring electronics in
    the camera or the battery pack, and deal with the different voltages,
    and basically make it all work. In that case, LiIon has a few
    advantages over NiMH: much lighter weight and about the same size for
    equal energy capacity, and longer shelf life (lower self-discharge after
    charging).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 3, 2003

  3. This is exactly right. The Sony F707 battery is amazing. My F707's largely
    been retired, but every once in a while I need a shot quicker than the week
    MF film takes to get processed, and the Sony's always there.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Stu

    Charlie Ih Guest

    However, LiIon has about 200 - 300 recharge cycles while NiMH 500 - 1000
    cycles.

    Charlie Ih, Dec 3, 2003
  5. The non-rechargeable 1.6 V lithium AA cells are different from the 3 V
    This is correct; if someone were to come out with an conventionally-sized AA
    lithium battery (with higher voltage), it could be *really* bad as people
    use them in cameras not made for their higher voltage.

    Still, it would be nice to have newer equipment that could use an AA
    lithium, as well as the common NiMH. This could be done! You'd have to
    design a new type of AA battery that had some sort of extra locating tab
    that would prevent it from being used in an inappropriate application...
    while at the same time the camera could still use a regular AA. So a
    standard NiMH AA would work in anything, but the lithium AA would only work
    in a device that had a keyed entryway or some such.

    If I were a camera manufacturer, I'd jump all over this as yet one more way
    to get people to consider upgrading to something newer!

    --Mike--
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com

    non-rechargeable 1.6 V lithium AA cells are different from the 3 V

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Stu

    Browntimdc Guest

    If you did all that, why bother even calling it AA size?
    After All it's not AA anymore.

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham

    Browntimdc, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Stu

    bigbadja Guest

    My experience with both means I'll avoid Lithium Ion like the plague.
    I rotated 3 sets of Camcorder Li-Ions [@AUD$120 each] and found they began
    to fail from 6 months. After 12 months, these 30 min batteries held a 5
    min. charge.
    I cared for these batteries, and was careful to re-charge according to
    makers instructions.
    The NiMh AA's I use in my digital camera have been a joy to use. They are
    dirt cheap compared to Li-Ion; They test as fully rechargable after over 2
    years. Like the camcorder they get frequent use.
    I will never buy another device that is dependent on Li-Ion.
    Robert

    bigbadja, Dec 9, 2003