    Hello,

    When I had an A75 I never had dark corners in the pictures. With my new A80
    I can see many pics with dark corners.... What's going on? Is it defective?

    Ryan H., Jun 17, 2004

  2. The Canon A series digital cameras have a high degree of sample
    variation...each individual unit is very unique. Some have a tendency to
    get firmware errors for no apparent reason, other have vignetting/blurry
    corners, where some (probably the majority) work as they should.

    Richard Cockburn, Jun 17, 2004

  3. A lot of the point and shoot cameras will vignette (dark corners) when
    shot very wide with a large aperture. Go through the pictures and
    compare the focal length with the aperture and see if you can narrow it
    down to that. If so, no problem - it's just what lenses (especially
    lower cost ones) do.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Ryan H.

    Ryan H. Guest

    I guess Im gonna have to exchange it with another A80.

    Ryan H., Jun 17, 2004
  5. Ryan H.

    jspen Guest

    Yes you should exchange it, possibly test at the store. I have tested over
    7 higher end P&S cameras
    (and several cheap ones) in the past 2 years and none had the problem of
    dark blurry corners at wide angle.
    Sounds like a quality control issue. Don't accept it or look at another
    brand if it is a recurirng problem.

    jspen, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Sounds like an issue with someone not understanding the optics.

    Some lenses will show some vignetting when used wide angle with the
    maximum aperture. This commonly occurs at the corners and can be
    distracting, but is easily fixed by stopping the aperture down one or
    two steps. It is not a defect, but a matter of design.

    However, without any test shots it's impossible to diagnose it one way
    or another.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 17, 2004