A3 inkjet printers and archival permanence

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Henson, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Dave Henson

    Dave Henson Guest

    Hi all

    I have been asked to produce some portraits and I'm also looking at selling
    some of my prints. I'm currently using an Epson Stylus Color 900 which is
    nearly 5 years old (ancient!) and only does A4. So I am looking to upgrade
    to a good quality photo printer that can handle A3. Does anyone have any
    recommendations?

    Also I have seen threads on this group about the archival permanence of inks
    but none recently. What is the current situation? Can one assume that all
    good photographic printers are now likely to use inks that have some
    stability? If someone is hanging one of my pics on their wall I don't want
    them coming back to me after a year with a severely faded image asking for a
    reprint.

    Thanks,
    Dave Henson.

    Dave Henson, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Hi Dave

    Two words: Epson 2200

    Happy imaging ...

    stan

    Stanley Krute, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Dave Henson

    Gea Jones Guest

    Hello,
    I bought an Epson 1290 A3 Printer, photo quality, it is Brilliant,
    I can't remember but I think I got it from embay about £40 cheaper,
    you can get A3 paper from choice stationery,
    but as for Archival quality, I guess you would be better off sticking to the
    original Epson paper and inks,
    I try to save money, but if it was for something I was going to sell, then
    it would have to be the best
    Gea

    Gea Jones, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Dave Henson

    andrew29 Guest

    The 1290 inks aren't well rated for archival purposes. Lyson inks may
    well bv better in this regard, and they have very good colour
    saturation.

    http://www.lyson.com/Technical Support/mrestableframe.html

    For long term stability the Epson pigment inks of the 2200 are a
    better bet.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Dave Henson

    Dave Henson Guest

    It seems that the 2200 is not available in the UK. I have had a look at the
    2100 - does anyone have any opinions on this?

    Cheers,
    Dave.

    Dave Henson, Nov 18, 2003