A very good (for AMD/ATI) AMD's hdmi chipset...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

  2. Brian Mathews, Mar 5, 2008

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches
    from your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
    So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
    "PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
    your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a
    especially configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the
    way forward.
    and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
    expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it
    can be turned off.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Mar 6, 2008
  4. thingy

    BTMO Guest

    Dude... Wodger. You see the issue?

    BTMO, Mar 6, 2008
  5. thingy

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, Mar 6, 2008
  6. thingy

    Richard Guest

    Looks like a really nice board for upgrading my htpc to cope with DTT -
    no component outs however for my tv unless they can do it via the dvi
    plug like some ati video cards.

    Shame that it seems most of them waste space with 2 pci slots that could
    have being pci express. This board has made me re-evaluate what I will
    get for a htpc since I now no longer need a high end 3d card just to get
    mpeg4 acceleration.

    Richard, Mar 6, 2008
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    There seems to be few pci-e add on cards especially when I consider the
    ones I have come across as junk...I cant understand why they dont
    include at least one pci-e 4 lane slot if not two....1's seem pointless
    in quantity...eg most NICs and raid controllers I have come across as
    worth buying are pci-e x 4....and i cant conceive of a setup that would
    utilise 4 x pci-e 1 lanes!

    So, for many good devices pci seems worthwhile still.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 7, 2008
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ah....I do now, should have figured that one....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Mar 7, 2008
  9. thingy

    Richard Guest

    There are tuner cards coming out in pci-e, esatas are in it, cant think
    of anything else that would be needed on a machine IMO since the HDaudio
    codecs onboard.

    More lanes would be better. They manage to make a degree of
    configuration with the SLI slots on some boards so I would like to see
    the ability to change the lanes around how I want, so all the physical
    slots could be longer ones, and just turn off the lanes that are not
    required.

    Richard, Mar 7, 2008
  10. thingy

    Richard Guest

    What would you rather watch them on? A standalone player which costs
    more then a htpc does in nz? How about a PS3 - except only teenagers
    have those...
    Only need that if your source material requires it to be present, so its
    really only a problem for those that buy their content. Another example
    of the rights respecting people getting screwed over

    Richard, Mar 7, 2008
  11. thingy

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Mar 9, 2008