    but I seem to recall hearing it mentioned somewere as a common real-estate
    add. Apartment building with a sign that says "If you lived here, you'd be
    home by now")

    The Man With No Name, Oct 26, 2005

  2. The Man With No Name

    Koenig Guest

    They air them where there is going to be the maximum exposure to
    movie-watching patrons. You see these same ads at the cinema. I don't
    think I have seen one of these ads on a TV series DVD.

    The whole point of the commercial is the anti-movie piracy message.

    Koenig, Oct 27, 2005

  3. The Man With No Name

    Jordan Guest

    I guess they figure people are watching DVDs instead of television. I
    have to admit though, the first time I saw one I was tempted to pirate
    it and put it online. But they're so dense they wouldn't get the joke.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Oct 27, 2005
  4. It's quite simple. They want you to get so upset that you'll go
    download a movie off the net. Then they will sue you and make more
    money from that than if you'd bought the DVD.

    :)

    Øystein

    =?iso-8859-1?q?=D8ystein_Tvedten?=, Oct 27, 2005
  5. The Man With No Name

    V01TeK Guest

    You're wrong. Simpsons, season 5. Gets fast-forwarded every time.

    V01TeK, Oct 28, 2005

  6. and the chance of that is?

    (answer: not high enough to offset the number of people pissed off by it).

    Beautiful Femur, Oct 30, 2005
  7. You know the funny part in this whole thing is that the prices of dvd
    titles have fallen so much so fast (and I am talking about new and used
    quality titles and not El Cheapo Crapo titles) and that good quality
    dvd recorders have dropped so much it is now literally not worth it
    99.8% of the time to steal it!

    tabernacle2002, Oct 30, 2005
  9. The Man With No Name

    Bob Guest

    No one is stealing anything.

    Bob, Oct 30, 2005
  10. The Man With No Name

    Richard C. Guest

    =============================
    Bizarre statement.
    Dangerous thinking.

    Richard C., Nov 2, 2005
  11. The Man With No Name

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Why is it bizarre and dangerous. Its very true. Who needs to pirate a
    brand new movie that sells for $14.95 or last years movies that sell for
    9.95-12.95. It is stupid to buy a pirated copy when a legit is so cheap.

    SBFan2000, Nov 2, 2005
  12. The Man With No Name

    Sean Black Guest

    It's stupid to *buy* a pirated copy anyway.

    Sean Black, Nov 3, 2005
  13. The Man With No Name

    Bob Guest

    Not if you live in a third world country where you do not make enough
    to be able to afford a legit copy.

    Look at it this way - if people in the 3rd world get copies, they
    learn out culture, which means they become capitalist consumers which
    means they buy stuff from us that cannot be pirated. That increases
    employment in the US.

    IBM used to give the large engineering universities free mainframes -
    multimillion dollar 360s and all that good stuff. Why?

    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  14. The Man With No Name

    Richard C. Guest

    That is correct.
    What is wrong is your original statement.
    When someone pirates, they are stealing.
    You seemed to say they were not.

    Richard C., Nov 3, 2005
  15. The Man With No Name

    Bob Guest

    They are not stealing. They are circumventing copyright laws.

    Bob, Nov 3, 2005
  16. Cheap and getting cheaper all the time!
    Heck as an example just this week a local Super Market (I do most of my
    food shopping in btw) ran a blow out sale (5 for $20) on a bunch of
    older dvd titles I wanted to get (but not at the OAP) like Matrix-1
    (which I had but only in P&S so I snapped up a widescreen copy)
    THX-1138,Twister,Duel,The Hustler,Scream-1 & 2 & 3,Fletch and a movie
    called Dying Young.
    And on top of that I used a little smarts,since as I was going to the
    store this week anyway to buy my weekly groceries so I clipped an $8.00
    off a $50.00 (or more) purchase store coupon that was in the store
    flyer this week, so I figure that I got my ten dvds for a grand total
    of $32.00!

    tabernacle2002, Nov 3, 2005
  17. The Man With No Name

    khangu Guest

    Still, why pay $10-$15 when you can just leave the computer on
    overnight with Bittorrent and wake up with a brand new movie in your
    hard disk.

    tabernacle2002, Nov 3, 2005
  19. The Man With No Name

    SBFan2000 Guest

    only in your twisted head

    SBFan2000, Nov 4, 2005
  20. The Man With No Name

    SBFan2000 Guest

    This is such stupid BS it doesn't even warrant a reply

    SBFan2000, Nov 4, 2005