    chipset, has integrated Video and Sound so there were no cards to replace.
    As far as I can see that leaves only one conclusion, the motherboard has
    issues. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

    JTJersey, May 26, 2005

  2. JTJersey

    Spajky Guest

    could be also CD-rom dying ... disconnect it & try ...

    Spajky, May 27, 2005

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    Good thought, thanks. Yanked the power and IDE cable and I was hopeful at
    first because it ran ok for 30 minutes or so, but then the system locked
    up solid like before. Oh, well. Thanks again.

    JTJersey, May 27, 2005

  4. Try going into the CMOS and disabling the video and sound. Add an AGP card
    you might have lying around (careful of the voltage if the board is fairly
    new) and see how it does. If it does alright, re-enable the sound and see if
    that's still OK. Use a process of elimination. I'm no expert... but I'd
    eliminate these before buying another board. You could get a video card that
    might be faster than the on-board for cheeper than a board using Pricewatch.
    Use a test card first... you could even try an old PCI video, but not with
    any fast apps unless you are sure the PCI card can handle it without giving
    you another, misleading error.

    Jess Fertudei, May 27, 2005
  5. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    Damn. Just when I think I've exhausted every option someone points out an
    embarrassingly obvious possibility. I do have several cards laying around
    that I can try. Thanks. Back to work I go.

    JTJersey, May 28, 2005
  6. JTJersey

    me Guest

    I had a similar problem recently.I tried swapping out everything until the
    last thing I tried,which was the CPU,and since then it has been fine

    me, May 28, 2005
  7. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    Try going into the CMOS and disabling the video and sound. Add an AGP card
    No luck. Tried two separate AGP cards after disabling video and sound
    with the same results. Random freezes. Thanks again.

    JTJersey, May 29, 2005
  8. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    This really frosts me. That flimsy plastic bracket they bolt to the
    motherboard for the Socket 478 Heatsink/Fan had a crack at the bottom
    right side where the clip secures it. The Heatsink wasn't sitting on the
    CPU properly as a result and was overheating. The BIOS was showing a Temp
    of 60C while idle, which is high for a P4 2.2G, but the HS fan was working
    so I wrote it off as a crappy Heatsink/Fan combo. That is until the part
    came loose completely and the bottom Heat Sink clamp fell off. Replaced
    the bracket and all is working fine. I've been testing it for two days
    now and it appears the CPU didn't suffer any noticeable damage from
    overheating. Just thought I'd pass this along for future reference. Thanks
    to all who replied.

    JTJersey, Jun 4, 2005