    ask this is because my ram speed before the upgrade in my bios was 800mhz
    and now the bios says it's 667mhz even though on both boxes it says 800mhz.

    Chuck

    news.alltel.net, Jan 7, 2009

  2. news.alltel.net

    doS Guest

    uh no 32 vista bit only reports 3 gb

    doS, Jan 7, 2009

  3. True or false, you chose.

    memtest

    2x800 < 4x667

    1-4-Diethyl-1-4-4-1-2-Pentamethylbenzyl-Ethanimido, Jan 7, 2009
  4. news.alltel.net

    Buffalo Guest

    As far as the 667Mhz down from 800, perhaps you can adjust it in the BIOS.
    Otherwise the new ram is probably actually slower, regardless of what it
    says on the packaging. The computer will run the ram at the speed of the
    slowest ram.
    You could, however, remove the old stick and just use the new stick and see
    if it still stays at 667Mhz.
    As the other poster says, 32bit will only recognize 3GB of ram and I believe
    that is true, but I am not positive.

    Buffalo, Jan 7, 2009
  5. news.alltel.net

    chuckcar Guest

    1024x3=3072 1 megabyte does *not* equal 1,000,000 bytes.

    1GB=1024MB=1024x1024KB=1024x1024x1024B

    So that leaves 4 megabytes unaccounted for.

    chuckcar, Jan 8, 2009
  6. news.alltel.net

    Evan Platt Guest

    You idiot.

    Evan Platt, Jan 8, 2009
  7. PeeCee wrote:

    Uhm. Thanks. Now, this (PAE) appears to run flawlessly on linux, no crashes.
    With all the usual "drivers" to run a desktop machine.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 8, 2009
  8. news.alltel.net

    PeeCee Guest

    Sigh

    From the Wikipedia discussing hard drive size.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

    Most operating-system tools report capacity using the same abbreviations but
    actually use binary prefixes. For instance, the prefix mega-, which normally
    means 106 (1,000,000), in the context of data storage can mean 220
    (1,048,576), which is nearly 5% more. Similar usage has been applied to
    prefixes of greater magnitude. This results in a discrepancy between the
    disk manufacturer's stated capacity and the apparent capacity of the drive
    when examined through most operating-system tools. The difference becomes
    even more noticeable for a gigabyte (7%), and again for a terabyte (9%). For
    a petabyte there is a 11% difference between the SI (10005) and binary
    (10245) definitions. For example, Microsoft Windows reports disk capacity
    both in decimal-based units to 12 or more significant digits and with
    binary-based units to three significant digits. Thus a disk specified by a
    disk manufacturer as a 30 GB disk might have its capacity reported by
    Windows 2000 both as "30,065,098,568 bytes" and "28.0 GB". The disk
    manufacturer used the SI definition of "giga", 109 to arrive at 30 GB;
    however, because Microsoft Windows, Mac OS and some Linux distributions use
    "gigabyte" for 1,073,741,824 bytes (230 bytes), the operating system reports
    capacity of the disk drive as (only) 28.0 GB.

    PeeCee, Jan 9, 2009
  9. news.alltel.net

    Rick Guest

    Rick, Jan 9, 2009
  10. news.alltel.net

    Peeassha Guest

    I think that 4 megabytes of ram is the stick of ram you're using in your
    computer.

    Peeassha, Jan 9, 2009
  11. news.alltel.net

    chuckcar Guest

    chuckcar, Jan 9, 2009
  12. news.alltel.net

    The hook Guest

    hook:
    As in 'free beer' you mean?

    The hook, Jan 9, 2009
  13. news.alltel.net

    Evan Platt Guest

    I think the point is you're a idiot.

    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2009
  14. news.alltel.net

    chuckcar Guest

    No. This is something much less needed and far less rare.

    chuckcar, Jan 10, 2009