A Plea: Differentiate between Lens Chromatic Aberration and Sensor Chromatic Abbertion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by digiboy, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. digiboy

    digiboy Guest

    As it says. Many publications seem unable to differentiate, but then
    we don't have a term that allows us to differentiate.

    So I propose we have Lens Chromatic Aberration (LCA?) which is our old
    favorite caused by unbalanced diffraction between the elements in the
    lens and Sensor Chromatic Aberation (SCA) which is caused by the
    functioning of the sensor/micro-lens/interpolation of the sensor
    system.

    DPReview has a review of the new OES 1Ds II and if you zoom in on the
    picture of the bridge in the area of the church you see red and green
    fringing which must surely be lens independant?

    It does seem possible that aberrations in the lens may be revealed by
    the very high spatial resolution sensors, but unlikely?

    Just my 2p worth

    DG

    digiboy, Dec 5, 2004

  2. digiboy

    imbsysop Guest

    "digiboy" <> wrote in message
    > As it says. Many publications seem unable to differentiate, but then
    > we don't have a term that allows us to differentiate.
    >
    > So I propose we have Lens Chromatic Aberration (LCA?) which is our old
    > favorite caused by unbalanced diffraction between the elements in the
    > lens and Sensor Chromatic Aberation (SCA) which is caused by the
    > functioning of the sensor/micro-lens/interpolation of the sensor
    > system.

    I think that last one is mainly refered to as being PF .. Purple Fringing ..
    the terminology is quite simple and well established IMHO .. ?

    imbsysop, Dec 5, 2004

  3. "imbsysop" <> wrote in message

    > "digiboy" <> wrote in message
    >> As it says. Many publications seem unable to differentiate, but then
    >> we don't have a term that allows us to differentiate.
    >>
    >> So I propose we have Lens Chromatic Aberration (LCA?) which is our old
    >> favorite caused by unbalanced diffraction between the elements in the
    >> lens and Sensor Chromatic Aberation (SCA) which is caused by the
    >> functioning of the sensor/micro-lens/interpolation of the sensor
    >> system.

    > I think that last one is mainly refered to as being PF .. Purple Fringing
    > ..
    > the terminology is quite simple and well established IMHO .. ?

    Seems so to me. I think the confusion results from folks reporting one
    thing as another.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 5, 2004
  4. (digiboy) writes:
    > As it says. Many publications seem unable to differentiate, but then
    > we don't have a term that allows us to differentiate.
    >
    > So I propose we have Lens Chromatic Aberration (LCA?) which is our old
    > favorite caused by unbalanced diffraction between the elements in the
    > lens and Sensor Chromatic Aberation (SCA) which is caused by the
    > functioning of the sensor/micro-lens/interpolation of the sensor
    > system.

    I think a likely cause for this is crosstalk between sensels, and
    in that case, it is called "blooming".

    > DPReview has a review of the new OES 1Ds II and if you zoom in on the
    > picture of the bridge in the area of the church you see red and green
    > fringing which must surely be lens independant?

    Yeah - that's blooming. Chromatic aberration (which is caused by
    the lens) is always radial in character.
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

    Gisle Hannemyr, Dec 6, 2004