    3- Once all look straight, I need to resize all the images.

    Is there any photo program for Windows so can do what I need in *batch
    mode*?

    John Dalberg, Aug 3, 2005

  2. John Dalberg

    PatMarquis Guest

    I use XnView. Open XnView in browser mode, select the files to be modified,
    right click one of them and select "Batch convert". Hit the "Advanced
    operations" and select the modifications to be performed (Rotation and/or
    Resize) and hit the arrow button to add it to the sequence and select it on
    the right to change the parameters. You can even save the operations as a
    script for future use. Hope this helps.

    Patrick

    PatMarquis, Aug 3, 2005

  3. John Dalberg

    Canongirly Guest

    ACDsee

    Canongirly, Aug 3, 2005
  4. John Dalberg

    Proteus Guest

    The mogrify command of ImageMagick is incredibly powerful for batch image
    processing of just about anything you can imagine doing with images. It is
    for the Linux OS, but you could boot a bootable version of Linux such as
    Knoppix (free download at knoppix.org) and the run mogrify on your images
    files on your MS-Windows hard disk.
    http://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/manuals/ImageMagick/www/mogrify.html

    Proteus, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Right, the batch conversion of XnView can be used for this.

    Perhaps an even simpler way for the "90 degree orientation" problem using
    XnView:
    XnView supports the EXIF orientation flag. If the camera has an orientation
    sensor and writes the orientation into the JPG file, XnView will rotate the
    image accordingly when viewing. Making this rotation permant (for other
    graphic programs) is also possible (Tools > JPG lossless transformation >
    Rotate image based on EXIF value).

    Greetings,

    Helmut

    Helmut Müller, Aug 3, 2005
  6. John Dalberg

    Blob Guest

    Picasa
    http://picasa.com

    Select photos, Ctrl-R to rotate right, Ctrl-Shift-R left. Click Export
    and enter in the size and save directory, click OK.

    Blob, Aug 3, 2005
  7. John Dalberg

    Matt Ion Guest

    www.irfanview.com

    If you're working with JPGs and your camera has an orientation sensor,
    thus using the EXIF orientation flag, it will also auto-rotate images
    shot with the camera in portrait position.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0531-2, 08/03/2005
    Tested on: 8/3/2005 3:36:25 PM

    Matt Ion, Aug 3, 2005
  8. John Dalberg

    HvdV Guest

    ImageMagick is also available for Windows, to write scripts with it you'll
    need something like a Linux shell, for example from Cygwin.
    Yesterday I needed to convert a bunch of 'bmp' images, I did that with
    ImageMagick's 'convert' and the following tiny csh-shell script:

    count=0
    ls $1*.bmp| while read rootName
    do
    echo "converting $rootName to $1$count.tif"
    convert $rootName $1$count.tif
    count=`expr $count + 1`
    done

    -- Hans

    HvdV, Aug 4, 2005
  9. John Dalberg

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Irfanview will do that. Free too.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 4, 2005
  10. 1- Some photos need to be rotated 90" left. I want to display all the
    Not sure what you mean by "batch mode" in this context. If you just mean it
    does them all on one command, and assuming we are talking about jpeg images
    here, then feel free to download my (free) PhotoMan application from
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/home.htm.

    In PhotoMan, open the folder holding down the Ctrl key, click on each photo
    which needs rotating. Right click on any of the selected frames then choose
    from the menu:

    Selected Files
    Rotate
    Clockwise

    (or anticlockwise if that's what you want). PhotoMan will then do lossless
    jpeg rotations of all the selected files. This runs as a background
    process. The rotations are in-situ, meaning they overwrite the original
    files but as it's lossless, that's no great loss (groan).

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Aug 4, 2005
  11. John Dalberg

    Proteus Guest

    HvdV wrote:

    Not sure why you need scripts, it should be possible simply using the
    command line options. Very powerful tool. Yeah I forgot about Windows users
    and that they can use Cygwin to run a 'sort of' version of Linux within
    Windows.

    Proteus, Aug 4, 2005
  12. Windows users may not need Cygwin to access the powerful scripting
    functions of Windows. What was once a "DOS prompt" has become, with
    Windows NT, 2000 and XP a very powerful language and, if that isn't enough
    for you, the Windows Scripting Host (WSH) provides a Basic-like language
    accessible from the command prompt.

    Unfortunately, command-line is currently out of fashion, so information is
    a little harder to find. Typing HELP at a command prompt will list some
    of the available commands. The WSH is described here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/scriptinga.asp

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 4, 2005
  13. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    I meant by batch mode as in doing it all in one command in the GUI. I
    really do not want to this using scripts or going to the command prompt.
    As easy as possible is what I want. Think of your grand mother trying to do
    this.

    John Dalberg, Aug 4, 2005
  14. John Dalberg

    Proteus Guest

    John Dalberg wrote:

    yeah I understand. But a GUI with menu options can almost be as complicated
    as command line for some. For example, you could use mogrify command in a
    commline line (terminal) mode as follows
    mogrify -format .jpg *.tif -quality 90
    to convert all TIFF images in the current folder (directory) to JPEG images,
    with 90% quality (10% compression).

    Or you could do
    mogrify -shave 5x5 *.jpg
    to remove 5 pixels from the image edges of all jpeg images in current
    folder; useful for example to give shaved images to someone or have shabved
    images printed and keeping the original unshaved images for copyright proof
    purposes.

    The mogrify command is not too hard, really, and there are example usage
    guides that show and explain every option with examples. But I am a geek so
    of course I am biased to the power of the command line over graphical
    interfaces.

    Proteus, Aug 4, 2005
  15. John Dalberg

    Proteus Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    Only with Windows users. Linux users LOVE the command line! (in addition to
    the GUI). I could not live without it-- so useful: batch mode commands to
    operate on hundreds of files, displays debug info when running certain
    apps, faster than finding applications in menus and submenus, easy on the
    eyes, etc.
    http://linux.sparlo.net

    Proteus, Aug 4, 2005
  16. Yes, I was talking about Windows - I though that was clear. I suspect
    that the Windows command line is similar in its power to other OSes, it
    just isn't used as much.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 4, 2005
  17. John Dalberg

    Proteus Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    ...>

    Actually the Windows command line is pretty weak compared to Linux/Unix; for
    example, with *nix OS there is 'bash completion' so that pressing the tab
    key completes the desired filename or pathname, and also with *nix you can
    add on a '&' to the end of the command to make it run in background mode as
    a process task; *nix allows 'piping' of commands to other commands, and
    lots more.

    Windows is a fine operating system, more user-friendly than *nix (but that
    gap is rapidly narrowing each year-- and entire countries and cities around
    the globe are dumping Microsoft and switching to Linux-- China, Brazil,
    Munich, Venice, Paris, US Military, etc.); but *nix simply is more powerful
    as regards mulitasking, command line usage, networking, and GUI stability
    (since the GUI in *nix is not part of the operating system whereas with
    Windows if the OS freezes so does the GUI which is an integral part of the
    OS). *nix was designed in the 1960s from the ground up for mulituser,
    multitasking, and networking; MS-Windows was designed in the 1980s and was
    never originally intended for multiuser, multitasking, or networking.

    Proteus, Aug 4, 2005
  18. I'm using command-line here in the sense of scripting language. Actually,
    you can run processes in background in Windows with the "start" command,
    and there is some command completion (it's optional). But what I'm really
    talking about is the ability to run a set of commands from a script,
    perhaps on a scheduled basis.
    Your information about Windows appears to be based on Windows 3.1 or 9X.
    The current versions (and the previous NT-based versions) were designed
    from the start for multi-user, multi-tasking and networking. This work
    was done in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and was able to build on the
    best from the other OSes of the time.

    [If the OS freezes, be it Windows or UNIX, you are stuck wherever the GUI
    is located. On my own systems, running 24 x 7 Windows NT, 2000 and XP,
    the number of crashes is now of the order of once per year.].

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 5, 2005
  19. John Dalberg

    HvdV Guest

    For example to renumber, call some more tools, build a little GUI (replace
    bash with wish) for the grandmother-type user, run it from a web server, and
    so on :)
    But indeed the result of 'man mogrify' is impressive, thanks for pointing out.
    -- Hans

    HvdV, Aug 5, 2005
  20. John Dalberg

    HvdV Guest

    To write true grandmother-proof software requires *many* more lines than the
    just 1 mogrify line.
    If you can get through the manual of your camera and remember how to access
    all the settings and modes then it should be doable to type something like
    'mogrify -rotate 90 *.tif'. Why not give it a try?
    It might not only be the command line itself, but the idea of navigating
    through a filesystem with arcane commands like 'cd' and 'ls'. You need some
    sort of mental picture of the filesystem to be able to do that efficiently
    with a command line. IMO on Windows the cluttered layout of the filesystem
    doesn't help either, but that is probably a biased opinion too.

    -- Hans

    HvdV, Aug 5, 2005