    http://www.pbase.com/camping05/image/51727429/large

    The original size is pretty large and will take a while to load.

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Scott W

    googlegroups Guest

    I was wondering how I was going to see much extra detail until I
    realised it was a 14MP image. :) What camera did that come out of?
    1DsII cropped?

    I saw a steam train passing through our
    smack-bang-in-the-middle-of-suburbia station the other day, which was a
    bit of a surprise...

    googlegroups, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    It came out of a Sony F828, there is really no limit to the resolution
    when you are willing to stitch.

    Silverton is really a neat town, the train come right into the town and
    just stops in the middle of the street.

    You got of love steam trains, there is nothing else like them.

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 4, 2005
  4. : You got of love steam trains, there is nothing else like them.

    And the ride on the train provides some spectacular photography
    possibilities. Standing on the end platform and realizing the side steps
    are hanging over a cliff that seems to be a thousand feet or more,
    straight down! And at the same time the opposite steps are only inches
    from a vertical rock wall extending up into the far distance.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Scott W

    railfan Guest

    Thanks! FWIW it's the Durango & Silverton Railroad. Been there, done
    that!

    Bob B.
    Canada

    railfan, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Scott W

    Don Bruder Guest

    Side note to nowhere (Or maybe to Silverton?)

    C.W. McCall (Yeah, same guy that did "Convoy") spoke/sang of the
    Silverton back in the 70's, giving what I think might be the catchiest
    description of a train ride I've ever heard:

    She was born one mornin'
    on a San Juan Summer
    back in 18 and 81
    She was a beautiful daughter of the D&RG,
    and she weighed about a thousand ton.
    Well it's a 45 miles through the animus canyon,
    so they set 'er on the narrow gauge
    She drank a whole lotta water
    and she ate a lotta coal,
    and they call her the Silverton (Silverton Train!)

    Chorus:
    Here comes the Silverton, up from Darango
    Here comes the Silverton, a-shovelin' coal
    Here comes the Silverton, up from the canyon
    See the smoke and hear the whistle blow!

    Well now, listen to the whistle in the rockwood cut,
    on the highline to Silverton town,
    and you're gonna get a shiver
    when you check out the river -
    which is 400 feet straight down!
    Take on some water at the Needleton tank,
    then you struggle up a 2-5 grade
    And by the time you gitcher hide past the snow-shed slide,
    you've had a ride on the Silverton (Silverton train!)

    Chorus

    Now down by the station, early in the mornin'
    there's a whole lotta people in line
    And they all got a ticket on the train to yesterday,
    and its-a gonna leave on time
    Well it's 45 mile up the animus canyon,
    so they run 'er on the narrow gauge
    She takes a whole lotta water and she needs a lotta coal
    and they call her the Silverton (Silverton train!)

    (Repeat chorus to fade)

    Don Bruder, Nov 4, 2005
  7. I had the pleasure of taking a trip on the railway in 1992; took lots of
    photos hanging off the coach sides etc. It certainly was spectacular.

    David

    David Littlewood, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Scott W

    Frank ess Guest

    A memorable experience, truly.

    Parent "D&RG" was Denver and Rio Grande, that ran past my
    grandparents' house in Utah.

    Frank ess, Nov 4, 2005
  9. Scott W

    Father Kodak Guest

    Agreed. And of course, a wonderful place to visit is the British
    Museum Railway Museum in York, England.

    And I might add that railways photography requires large aperture
    (prime) lenses, good wide angles, a motor drive or a digital camera
    with a deep buffer, AND a very high resolution sensor or 35 mm film to
    capture all the detail.

    Either two film bodies or a digital camera that supports ISO 1600 ~
    3200, with full-frame, to protect our investment in all those lenses.

    ---Lady Margaret Thatcher--

    Father Kodak, Nov 4, 2005
  10. Yeah.....When I was a kid, I used to go to sleep every night with the sound
    of those things choo-chooing in the distance. It was one of the loneliest
    sounds on earth.....I was very sad when they replaced them with the
    soul-less diesel electrics. Now the young people think that the sound of big
    rigs on the freeway are the loneliest sounds......Pretty sad, when you think
    about it.........

    William Graham, Nov 4, 2005
  11. Scott W

    Charlie Self Guest

    I'm not sure what the motor drive or fast primes or ISO 1600 are for,
    but you might check out a guy who did it all without any of that:
    http://www.linkmuseum.org/index-1.html

    MF and LF, bulb flash, some incredible effects and some incredible live
    action shots without special set ups (and even more incredible ones
    with special arrangements).

    The museum is in Roanoke, Virginia, formerly a railroad town, and one
    with a few strong connections to the past, including the museum
    honoring Mr. Link.

    Charlie Self, Nov 4, 2005
  12. Scott W

    DaveW Guest

    Huh? Until about 5 years ago, the one piece of "required" equipment for
    all railfan photographers was Kodachrome. A second camera for black and
    white was optional for those who knew what they were doing and for night
    work. None of this fancy enhanced color, high speed stuff. These days,
    many are of course rejecting real photography all together and using
    "digital cameras". Railfans tend to be curmudgeons, you know.

    Fortunately, those Kodachromes have, for the most part, held up quite
    well since the early days of diesels and the last days or regular steam
    engines. Not so for those foolish enough to have used anything else.

    Regards,

    DAve

    DaveW, Nov 4, 2005
  13. Scott W

    Robert C. Guest

    Not necessarely about steam locomotives, but about trains in general: one
    thing I miss is train travel. When I get to visit Europe I enjoy travelling
    by train. There is nothing like the clack-yty-clack of the steel wheels
    against a steel track. There is a train that goes from almost anywhere to
    almost anywhere, something that is non-existant in North America. The
    passenger train that once linked the East to the West (May 10, 1869: Union
    Pacific-Central Pacific-"The Last Spike" ``Transcontinental Railroad``) has
    all but been forgotten to freight service. (Canada is not much better, our
    service keeps being cut more and more: My town no longer has rail service;
    the station has been demolished; the tracks have been removed.) Very Sad.

    ~Robert C.

    Robert C., Nov 4, 2005
  14. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    We took the train trip the day before I took the shoot of Silverton. As
    you can imagine most on the train with fan of old steam engines, I
    belive I saw one film camera, the rest where all digital.

    It would appear that not all railfans are slow on the up take with new
    technology.

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 4, 2005
  15. Scott W

    RobGN Guest

    How about this: The **Newfie Bullet**

    http://www.worldisround.com/articles/61316/photo8.html

    The fastest train in Newfoundland! Rumour has it that on it's maiden
    trip it was 72 hours late!

    (Reason: In Newfoundland heavy snows can make trains snowbound and
    trains delayed.)

    RobGN

    RobGN, Nov 4, 2005
  16. Ah, I can hear Paul Simon now:
    "Mamma don't take my Kodachrome,
    Mamma don't take my Kodachrome,
    Mamma don't take my Kodachrome,
    Mamma don't take my Kodachrome, awa-aaaa-aaa--aaay."

    Not a bad film, actually. I still use it in my old Konica FC-1.
    I've done some great pictures with that camera.

    Regards,
    Fred.
    (Please remove FFFf from my email address to reply, if by email)

    Fred Williams, Nov 4, 2005
  17. Scott W

    Frank ess Guest

    Yes, sad. Among my favorite videos is a series called "Great Train
    Voyages", or something close. Each an hour's worth of travel on, among
    others, a train across Australia that required a change of gauge going
    from one state to another; up the Andes; across Canada; across Russia.

    There are other videos available. Too bad the reality isn't as
    accessible.

    My two best actual rides were from Pittsburg, California, to Wichita
    Falls, Texas, (Painted Desert in a mid-day thunderstorm) and the
    Copper Canyon trip from Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico, to Creel,
    Chihuahua. I don't know if you can still do the first one, but the
    second was available recently.

    Come to think of it, the poor quality of my little green Kodak's
    photos from that trip was a principal reason I bought into 35mm in the
    next couple of months.

    Frank ess, Nov 4, 2005
  18. Yeah....My mother and I traveled from New York City to Berkeley California
    by train during the second world war. I can still remember watching the
    towns go by at night while lying in my Pullman car bed.....And eating
    breakfast in the dining car in the morning.......Hot cereal served on a
    tablecloth and real silverware.....

    William Graham, Nov 4, 2005
  19. My town no longer has rail service;
    We have a train here in Salem that goes to Portland....I've never taken
    it.....My bad!

    William Graham, Nov 4, 2005
  20. Scott W

    Robert C. Guest

    I found some archives of railway pictures from the Canada Science and
    Technology Museum Website which might be of interest :
    http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=49&photoid=93825910

    ~Robert C.

    Robert C., Nov 4, 2005