a photo cataloging program that can export with catagories?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Carl Jones, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Carl Jones

    Carl Jones Guest

    Hi all,

    I've just finished having a play with adobe photoshop album 2.0 and
    paintshop pro photo album v5. But unfortunatley neither of them do
    what i'm looking for.

    I'm after an application which, like the above will let me organise
    all my photos into categories and/or dates. That's great, they both do
    that very well, however what i'd also like is an ability to export my
    catagloue to a folder/disk and still mainting the date or category
    structure.

    for example, say i've setup categories for family, holidays, scenery
    and cars and setup 100's of pictures in each. What i want is an option
    to "Export catalogue to disk.." option which lets me specify a
    destination and it would then export my photos' retaining the
    catalogue structure as folders

    c:\photos
    + c:\photos\family\
    img1.jpg... imgx..jpg
    + c:\photos\holidays\
    img1.jpg... imgx.jpg
    + c:\photos\scenery\
    img1.jpg... imgx.jpg
    + c:\photos\cars\
    img1.jpg... imgx.jpg

    Does anyone know of an application which allows me to do this? Seems
    the 2 i've tested above seem to want to insist that their app is the
    only one you use so dont offer this feature :((

    Thanks in advance

    // Carl Jones

    Carl Jones, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Carl Jones

    Terry Guest

    It's not clear to me what you want to do. Do you want to:

    1) export the catalog as a a text file.

    2) copy (or move?) the image files themselves into a new directory
    structure, reorganized by categories.

    3) Something else...

    I *think* you mean (2), because you talk about exporting to a
    folder/disk, not to a file.

    My first question would be -- why do you want to do this? If you have
    an image that is in 5 different categories, you will end up with 5
    copies of your image. Could be a huge waste of space. (For example, in
    your example, you seem to have img1 through imgx in every category...)

    As for an application, IMatch can do any of the above, though
    depending on exactly what you want to do, it might take writing a
    simple script, or you might have to do each category one at a time
    (all the images in one category can easily be copied with one
    command).

    Could you clarify exactly what you're trying to do? And perhaps why
    you want to do it? There may be a better solution to your problem.

    Terry

    Terry, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Carl Jones

    bagal Guest

    There are many ways to do what you are after.

    1 - use a database, spreadsheet or word document
    2 - have a look around (like what you are doing) for a dedicated program

    FWIW here is a sure fire way to a DIY solution
    1 - Open a new Word document

    2 - create a table

    3 - paste a thumnail JPEG into 1 cell of the table

    4 - in the same row paste a link to the file (include path details in the
    link)

    5 - in the same row enter key word eg beach San Tropez 2003 summer Europe
    boats coast mountins (watch your spelling! :)

    There - that's about it!

    Fill in the table for every and boy do I mean E-V-E-R-Y image you want to
    list

    How to use it?
    Open up the Word document
    do a find on mountains
    look at each thumnail one at a time that the keyword search brings up
    if the thumbnail looks good - click on the link

    do that for each occurence found by Find

    switch to image viewer and you have your shortlisted images open for viewing
    :)

    You can do a version of the above in a speardsheet (sp!) or database

    You may also be able to use Office CAG (Computer Art Gallery) but I can't be
    bothered going into the details about if, how why at the mo'

    let us know how you get on

    db

    FWIW doing it yourself actually gets you reacquainted with every image you
    wish to catalogue

    bagal, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Carl Jones

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    (Carl Jones) wrote in @posting.google.com:
    I use a program called ThumbsPlus <www.cerious.com> and while there is no
    export function it will certainly let you arrange your files this way. I
    currently have a my images arranged in a similar structure. T+ is simply a
    thumbnail program with a database and it will let you organize your images
    pretty well any way you want with the ability to add keywords and a lot of
    other things. They have a fully functional trial version available for
    download.

    Fuzzy Logic, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Carl Jones

    Carl Jones Guest

    Hi Terry,

    Essentially instead of currently having all my images in different
    DCIM_1.._x folders on my drive I would like them to be sorted I
    categories. I appreciate there'd be duplicate photos as some photo's
    are in more than 1 category but i'm really not that bothered about
    that (storage is so cheap these days anyway) it's more the convenience
    of being able to get to the pictures I want without having to load up
    an application each time, especially if i'm on a different PC or
    somewhere where i dont have the pictures but could still ftp to my
    machine to get the pictures.

    Thanks

    Carl Jones, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Carl Jones

    Terry Guest

    In that case, for simplicity, why not just use windows explorer.
    Create the directory structure to match your categories, and drag and
    drop the pictures into the right directories. That way you don't ever
    have to bother about a separate application. It seems to me this is as
    easy or easier as using another application to assign the categories,
    then using that application to copy the files into a new directory
    structure.

    I guess it depends on your OS. In windows XP you've got thumnail view,
    while in earlier versions of windows you don't, so it's a little less
    convenient.

    Another option would be to use Irfanview. Irfanview lets you easily
    view your images, large or thumbnail size. It also has easy to use
    copy and move commands, and you can set up directories in the move and
    copy dialogs. So it's just two keystrokes to move or copy a file from
    where it is to one of several different directories. (Freeware,
    http://www.irfanview.com/)

    Actually, I would expect that adobe photoshop album and paintshop pro
    photo album both have easy to use move and copy commands, as well, but
    I don't use them so can't verify this.

    Terry

    Terry, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Carl Jones

    bagal Guest

    Yup IrfanView = good, very very good (free too = excellent!)

    Carl - I reckon IrfanView with a Table in Word is a sure fire quick n easy
    way to get started

    You may always print out pages from Word too :)

    das B

    bagal, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Carl Jones

    bagal Guest

    ooops ! I forgot!

    Try www.cerious.com

    I knew there was something about 'thumbs' at the back of my memory :)

    das B

    bagal, Jun 11, 2004
  9. Carl Jones

    stewy Guest

    If you're using a Mac, I'd suggest iPhoto - not the improved (and expensive)
    new version in iLife but the old one. This will organize Slideshow lists.
    Simply click and drag pictures from the main Library into different
    categories of 'slideshow'. You can re-order and even drag from slideshow to
    slideshow. As you're just creating 'aliases' of an original picture,
    processing time is reduced. and saviving each category to disk if the
    library starts getting 'klunky' after 800 or 900 pictures - the newapp has
    apparently solved this 'klunk'.

    stewy, Jun 12, 2004