    than the one you're using?

    Ideas?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006

  2. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
    past few days and see if there are any replies.

    From: "Jim Beaver" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Unintentional switching between windows

    From: "Jim Beaver" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Unexplained phenomenon

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
    have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
    question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my
    experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with my
    newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the broader
    readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to make
    certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question
    did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng, I
    was puzzled. Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts had
    begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
    simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines (my
    newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
    remotely ever get all the way through the list). So I thought I would try
    one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the beginning
    of the alphabet.

    Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Jim Beaver

    Whiskers Guest

    Such things can happen. I saw your questions about focus going to the
    wrong window, or whatever the precise details were, but I have never seen
    or heard of such a thing and I don't use Windows, which you do use, so I
    had no answer to give.

    Three wild guesses: video card or chipset on the way out; driver for same
    is faulty; you are using a laptop with a touchpad and your hand is moving
    the mouse pointer without you meaning to move it (the curse of touchpads).
    There are people who sort newsgroup articles by subject? How odd.
    Perhaps you should tell your newsreader that all the articles have been
    read and that you do not wish to be shown articles that have been read
    already. ("Catchup" is the usual term). Otherwise reading a newsgroup
    becomes well nigh impossible fairly quickly.
    Yes, well, there you go .... ;))

    Whiskers, Sep 1, 2006
  5. i cannot think of anything in XP that would induce such a phenomenon,
    maybe a piece of 3rd party software or a virus has something to do with
    it... It is very strange. Good luck with figuring it out.

    TIP: every time something that seems unresolvable happens to my
    computer i just install windows again and its gone... try it.

    i doubt its a hardware problem.

    James Padolsey, Sep 1, 2006
  6. Jim Beaver

    Pennywise Guest

    Do you have Tweak UI installed?
    Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>

    If so, goto mouse and turn off X-mouse

    Start | Run <type in> Main.cpl <enter> Might see if your mouse
    software has this feature as well.

    Pennywise, Sep 1, 2006
  7. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.
    As long as you don't use X-No-Archive: Yes then look for the posts using
    Then saying so will help a bit, you must have seen the other times posts
    are repeated and repeated.
    Yuck, sorting by subject, try threaded date and marking old posts as
    read when collecting new posts helps much more.
    Mark the old posts read. There can be between 7000 - 14000 posts in
    24HSHD each month.
    Didn't help, made no difference.
    More like wondering if you were going to stop due to the non responses
    to your problem.

    BTW have never seen anything like it, the original query.

    Me

    why?, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I've been tempted to do so a time or two, but have always worried
    (needlessly?) that I would lose valuable personal settings. And of course,
    compu-dilettante that I am, I'm not sure I know how to do it in the first
    place.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  9. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    Thanks.

    I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.
    Especially since in the past I've posted, got no response, reposted under a
    different subject line and gotten a dozen or more responses. I figure that
    every once in a while the first one slips through a crack. From now on,
    I'll give up immediately.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  10. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    It appears that I do not have this installed. Is it something I would
    advantageously have?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 1, 2006
  11. Jim Beaver

    Pennywise Guest

    Only if you like your programs window coming in focus (come up front)
    when your mouse touches any part of it.

    "Where normal mouse control uses single-click for selection and
    double-click to open/edit/etc, the xmouse system automatically selects
    objects after hovering the mouse over the object for a certain period
    of time (often one second)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmouse

    Pennywise, Sep 1, 2006
  12. Jim Beaver

    John Dean Guest

    Don't have an answer, but I was recently recommended to http://aumha.org/ as
    a good resource for Windows problems. Haven't had chance to explore it yet
    but maybe what you want is there.
    Alternatively, try one of the MS XP specific NGs - something in the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp ... hierarchy.
    BTW, have you checked the advanced options in IE Tools? I note there's one
    there entitled "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts." Dunno what it does,
    but maybe it does what's happening by you.

    John Dean, Sep 2, 2006
  13. Jim Beaver

    cuntbubble Guest

    Meh - just give up feeding the troles.

    cuntbubble, Sep 2, 2006
  14. Jim Beaver

    Fred Guest

    Maybe you have installed a program that is conflicting with your system.
    Wild guess ctfmon
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599/en-us

    Fred, Sep 2, 2006
  15. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I'll give these suggestions a try. Thanks for all the help. I guess third
    time was the charm, after all.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 2, 2006
  16. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:36:32 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

    Who said that?
    Oh go on then. All you had to do was say you had a problem posting, or
    maybe you couldn't see any replies. That gets more help than simply
    repeating the post several times.

    As you said you have been posting in this ng for years you must be aware
    of the many times it's thought of as a chat room and multiple posts per
    minute / day and repeating over the next few days. It's that which is
    annoying.
    Me

    why?, Sep 2, 2006
  17. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    It's quite easily inferred.

    At any rate, I'm sorry if it pissed you off, and if it didn't piss you off,
    I'm delighted. As to me, I finally got helpful answers with this version of
    my question, and no one else complained, so perhaps it wasn't a complete
    train wreck.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Sep 2, 2006
  18. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    Neither of the above.
    So which answer worked, that's usually more important than suggestions.
    More so if you post back than it can be found again if needed.
    Me

    why?, Sep 3, 2006
  19. Jim Beaver

    why? Guest

    No, it's likely to cause you more confusion :)

    I like it because I used to work a lot on Unix Workstations,

    why?, Sep 3, 2006
  20. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    Unfortunately, now, none of the suggestions has worked. As it turns out,
    the possible problem areas pointed out to me involved applications or
    functions that I don't have on my computer, and thus they could not be the
    cause. For the time being it appears I'm stuck with having my windows
    switch willy-nilly whenever I load a new page into a current window.

    Maybe I'll post the question again under a new subject line.

    Just kidding.

    Jim Beaver, Sep 3, 2006