A letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RiceHigh, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. RiceHigh

    RiceHigh Guest

    http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/A_Letter_to_the_CEO_of_Pentax_Corporation.html

    The letter was sent out by registered mail on 3.1.06 but it is rather
    disappointed that there has been no response of any kind from Pentax so
    far. I also discovered that inside the viewfinder of my "repaired" *ist
    DS there was a small portion of an underneath optical element had been
    broken when I got it back after the "repair" by Pentax Japan. Indeed, I
    had added this in the letter to the CEO too, right before I sent it out
    by post.

    I posted this case at the Dpreview Pentax SLR Forum and updated the
    forum readers the latest progress. But very unfortunately the day
    before I got banned suddenly without any reason given (not even to
    mention if the reason is fair and reasonable or NOT), despite I have
    sent two enquiry emails to Mr. Phil Askey for asking WHY. They just
    ignore me totally. (Well, yes, I know that Phil Askey and his staff has
    the sole rights to censor any speech at his *private* forum!)

    Oh, too bad and I think I can see a very dark side of this world. So, I
    just wish to ask what is "Consumer Rights" in this planet? Noted that
    my Pentax *ist DS DSLR is indeed still under warranty but it has been
    destroyed now and the first service request was made on 9.9.05 when I
    just bought it less than two months and obvious AF problems were found.

    Any comments and anyone can help and tell what I can do now?? TIA for
    any assistance!

    RiceHigh, Jan 19, 2006

  2. This was posted and answered ad naseum in Comp.gr.apps.photoshop.

    John McWilliams, Jan 19, 2006

  3. RiceHigh

    SMS Guest

    The letter was rambling, and way too long. You can file a lawsuit
    against them in small claims court. They won't show up, and then you'll
    have to find a way to collect, which will be impossible.

    As to dpreview, that site is okay for camera reviews, but the forums are
    run with an iron hand. Even the reviews are often of limited value, as
    it is almost unheard of for a camera to get anything less than
    "Recommended," they are simply terrified to say anything bad, even when
    it's true.

    I guess what you can do now is to write it off, and switch to Nikon or
    Canon.

    SMS, Jan 19, 2006
  4. RiceHigh

    HornBlower Guest

    They can't say anything bad. If they did they wouldn't be supplied with
    review units of the cameras. Plain and simple. When doing reviews for the
    most part you need to be fully prepared to pucker up and kiss some hind end.
    Otherwise find something else to do.

    HornBlower, Jan 19, 2006
  5. RiceHigh

    Bill Funk Guest

    Out of curiosity, what would the lawsuit be for?

    Bill Funk, Jan 19, 2006
  6. My pointing out it had been hashed out in another NG was a subtle plea
    to not repeat this crap here.

    John McWilliams, Jan 19, 2006
  7. RiceHigh

    Alan Browne Guest

    I think you mean 2006.01.03.
    I wrote a regular post letter, much less complex (hint) than your letter
    to Minolta a couple years ago. Right to the CEO. It took about 6 weeks
    and I got a very succinct reply from someone in the appropriate
    division. These things take time to wend their way. Your letter is so
    long and complex that it will likely take forever to wend its way.

    Alan Browne, Jan 20, 2006
  8. RiceHigh

    RiceHigh Guest

    I still hope that the CEO or his staff will reply me and I shall wait
    for that to see if one day it really happens.

    But btw in the meantime, I am well prepared to start a new DSLR lineup,
    I think that's the most practical thing I can do and need to do now.

    Thanks for sharing your "CEO" experience too. See you.

    RiceHigh, Jan 20, 2006
  9. RiceHigh

    Iain Laskey Guest

    Not in my experience. I review PC stuff and whilst TBH, most stuff is good
    enough, hence reasonably good reviews (thankfully not much real junk gets
    to market these days) the odd dog does get through. I've given pretty
    damning reviews on some items and I still get review kit. If it were
    otherwise, word would get out and the manufacturer would get boycotted by
    all the magazines. Journalists tend to be a fairly tightly knit community
    and any 'difficult' manufacturers soon get found out and discussed.

    That said, The US IT press does have a reputation for very poor review
    standards with glowing reports given where it's not deserved. The rest of
    the world is more willing to criticise.

    Iain

    Iain Laskey, Jan 22, 2006
  10. RiceHigh

    RiceHigh Guest

    I see that at Dpreview, nearly all reviews are glowing, especially
    those Canon ones. Occasionally, there are some really "bad" reviews
    (what I mean "bad" is about the rating given by Phil Askey). The Fuji
    S3 Pro review is a good example. But it is very strange that the sample
    photos are excellent and indeed is somehow better than those many DSLRs
    in the "highly recommended" reviews. Sometimes, I have really no idea
    on how Phil Askey gave his rating and why and how come the big
    difference in his yardstickS.

    Recently, I am considering the 5D and downloaded a bundle of sample
    photos from Dpreview and Steve Digicams and I was surprised to find a
    big difference in image quality. Despite Phil Askey did make a remark
    on the corner performance of the 5D camera, he still made the highest
    rating for the 5D. Fortunately, I can see how worst the corner
    performance of the 5D even with L lens mount. I think Steve has done a
    very good and decent job for his honesty and braveness to publish and
    point out this 5D weakness. I think after his 5D review, the situation
    what HornBlower suggested would happen to Steve.

    Anyone who interested can go to both review sites to have a look and
    compare for those sample photos.

    Actually Dpreview.com is the most famous and popular online review site
    now. It is an UK site and I think Steve Digicams is an US one, btw. All
    in all, I don't think it is something geographically dependent on your
    suggestion about standards and reliability. I think the standards,
    honesty of editors or even braveness are much more personal dependent,
    IMHO.

    Best Regards,
    RiceHigh

    http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

    RiceHigh, Jan 22, 2006
  11. I have to disagree with you strongly here. During the late 80's-mid 90's
    I wrote a software and hardware reviews for magazines such as PC
    Magazine, Databased Advisor (and various other titles of theirs)
    Infoworld, ComputerWorld and other IT magazines. I would almost always
    get my products direct from the product company's PR dept. with no
    problems or strings attached as to what I would write. Did I write
    positive reviews? Yes, when the product warrented it. Did I write
    negative reviews? Yes, again if the product was bad. I was honest in my
    opinions and never bowed to advertising pressure even though I was asked
    on several occasions to try and find something positive to say about a
    product I had otherwise panned. I was lucky enough to have editors that
    backed me up and trusted my opinions.

    As for Phil, I can't talk to his policies or agreements with
    manufacturers. I can say during an almost 10 year writing period, I only
    had one company consider me persona non-grata for a while after I wrote
    a mostly negative review for their flagship product. They called me up
    to the corporate suite at Comdex one year (The article came out the same
    time as Comdex that year) and asked me how I could write such a negative
    article. we went through my review point by point and there was nothing
    in the article that was incorrect as to the functionality of the product
    nor in the comparisons to how other programs handled the same tasks.

    They were not happy with the outcome, but they were unable to find
    anything wrong with my conclusions that the product was geared for end-
    users and that database developers would hate the program. It did take a
    while before I as able to get more products for them directly, so I had
    my editors do so.

    Craig M. Bobchin, Jan 23, 2006