    this group also. Is this what I am to expect from the regulars? Perhaps
    everyone should stop the petty bickering for a moment and read this:
    www.usoe.k12.ut.us/lan/howdoi/dumb.htm

    Not An Expert Like You, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Not An Expert Like You

    Boomer Guest

    You are posting from the past. Please adjust your clock/time zone
    settings.

    Thanks.

    Boomer, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Not An Expert Like You

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:07:35 -0500, "Not An Expert Like You" <not an
    Here's a couple of bits for _you_ to read:

    From http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html :

    "A newsgroup is an already existing community of people into which you have just
    walked.
    Many of the people posting regularly there have been doing so for a long
    time, they will have established relationships with each other, many will be
    friends offline. It is up to you to fit in with them, not for them to adapt to
    suit you. Before you post your first message, lurk for a while. Forget any bad
    ideas you might have about the word 'lurk' - online it simply means to read
    without posting. By doing this, you will get a feel for the culture of the
    group, who the regular posters are, who is likely to be friendly, who is likely
    to be rude, what the group regards as acceptable in terms of thread drift,
    off-topic posts etc. Every newsgroup is different so get a feel for the culture
    before jumping in."

    From http://www.duke.edu/eng169s2/group4/alok/English/map.htm :

    "Evangelism:

    Everyone is tempted from time to time to evangelize, to stride boldly into the
    enemy's camp and throw down the gauntlet. We will never see the end of people
    who pop up on comp.sys.intel praising Macs and Amigas; who send mail to the
    SKEPTIC list that flying saucers really, truly do exist; who enlighten the
    Buddhist newsgroups that they're all bound for hell, and on and on.

    In the entire history of the net, no one has managed to do this without looking
    like a complete idiot...."

    "There's more than a couple of clues, right there."

    Mara, Oct 19, 2003
  4. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Mara <> typed
    || On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:07:35 -0500, "Not An Expert Like You" <not an
    || > wrote:
    ||| I have been following the responses to a newbie here who goes by
    ||| the ID of Spam Stop. This person asked a worthy question and was
    ||| ridiculed by several people. There would be no need for this
    ||| newsgroup if everyone was an authority in computer science. Would
    ||| it not be better to offer sound advice without the negative
    ||| comments that generate ill-will? I am fairly new to
    ||| this group also. Is this what I am to expect from the regulars?
    ||| Perhaps everyone should stop the petty bickering for a moment and
    ||| read this: www.usoe.k12.ut.us/lan/howdoi/dumb.htm
    || Here's a couple of bits for _you_ to read:
    || From http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html :
    || "A newsgroup is an already existing community of people into which
    || you have just walked.
    || Many of the people posting regularly there have been doing so for a
    || long
    || time, they will have established relationships with each other, many

    That makes it alright to be rude? Bullshit!

    || will be friends offline. It is up to you to fit in with them, not

    Bullshit!

    Robert de Brus, Oct 19, 2003
  5. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Boomer <> typed
    || ||
    ||| I have been following the responses to a newbie here who goes by
    ||| the ID of Spam Stop. This person asked a worthy question and was
    ||| ridiculed by several people. There would be no need for this
    ||| newsgroup if everyone was an authority in computer science. Would
    ||| it not be better to offer sound advice without the negative
    ||| comments that generate ill-will? I am fairly new to this group
    ||| also. Is this what I am to expect from the regulars? Perhaps
    ||| everyone should stop the petty bickering for a moment and read
    ||| this: www.usoe.k12.ut.us/lan/howdoi/dumb.htm
    || You are posting from the past. Please adjust your clock/time zone
    || settings.

    Who cares? Does it disrupt your day so much?

    Robert de Brus, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Not An Expert Like You

    ttate Guest

    well said!

    ttate, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Not An Expert Like You

    Harrison Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:07:35 -0500, "Not An Expert Like You" <not an
    Your comments are appreciated.
    As experts, we sometimes liken our roles to those of parents or
    teachers, or other human beings. As human beings, we sometimes allow
    our frustrations to get the better of us and we vent them in the wrong
    directions. I can be guilty of this, but I try to remember that I'm
    here to help and to learn, and to keep my frustrations at bay.
    That's some of us.

    Usenet is no more or no less than the personalities of which it is
    composed. It is a virtual society where people with overinflated egos
    and bones to pick can hang out and toss insults towards anyone and
    everyone, without fear of getting the crap kicked out of them as they
    would if this were a real society. Those who would never be so brazen
    in a pub or 'round the corner know no fear here in the virtual world.
    We're all 6'5" and 250 lbs. That tends to be more than some can
    handle.

    As in society, I encourage you and others to look away from the bad.
    Avoid them, cross to the other side of the virtual street if you have
    to. Focus on the few whose style and effort appeal to you and let them
    be your mates.
    One advantage we have in Usenet, which effectively offsets its flaws,
    is that it's very easy to ignore those whom we choose to ignore. A
    filter or kill file will render silent those voices you choose to not
    to hear. I encourage you to stick around, build a kill file, and help
    me and others to improve the standards around here.
    Harrison
    Skype:windowshelp

    Harrison, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Not An Expert Like You

    S.A. Guest

    You know "Not An Expert Like You", you make a good point! And 99.8% of the

    Love,

    Pedro Martinez

    S.A., Oct 20, 2003
  9. Not An Expert Like You

    gangle Guest

    Not by me.
    Expert? Who is an expert? How is that measured and determined?
    By YOU? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
    There is no WE in Usenet. How many times do you have to
    be told that?
    TINO, TINU, TINW
    An idiotic, pointless, super-generalized statement, except the part
    about "overinflated egos," which applies to you specifically.
    That's ridiculous. In person, I would tell you that you are full
    of shit.
    I encourage you not to preach your imagined piety to people you don't know.
    Your "wonderful," "pure" side of the street? All hail Harrison
    the Just and Chaste!
    So, you think you are going to get "mates" by telling people
    what to do and how to act? You are a seriously pompous ass.
    So, here it is, loud and blatant: Another saviour who thinks he
    can GOVERN and SHAPE this NG. Get in line with all the other
    loser egotists who have tried that absurd, fruitless stunt.
    You are about as original and as interesting as a clump of dirt.

    gangle, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Not An Expert Like You

    Liz Guest

    Teacher : George Washington not only chopped down his father's
    Cherry tree, but also admitted doing it. Now, do you know why his father
    didn't punish him?

    Student : Because George still had the axe in his hand.

    Teacher : Now, children, if I saw a man beating a donkey and stopped
    him, what virtue would I be showing?

    Student : Brotherly love.

    Teacher : Now, tell me frankly do you say prayers before eating?

    Student : No sir, I don't have to, my mom is a good cook.

    Liz, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Not An Expert Like You

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    We who?

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Not An Expert Like You

    trout Guest

    Your point is simplistic and insulting. Whom do you address?
    For the people that have labored long and with little thanks to help
    strangers; your decision to deliver a little lecture based on a
    thimble-full of experience in this newsgroup is annoying and misplaced.
    For the people that might be more pleasant, according to *you*; do
    you think for a moment that your wide-eyed mewling as newsgroup Saviour
    #377,412 will affect *anyone's* actions in the least?
    It is mere self-indulgence. An opportunity for you to vent a pet
    peeve that will "generate ill-will" as effectively as any troll, or rude
    reply.
    Never mind 'computers'. Learn a little about Usenet.

    trout, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Not An Expert Like You

    God Guest

    Us for starters.

    God, Oct 20, 2003
  14. Not An Expert Like You

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Yawn.

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 20, 2003
  15. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In trout <> typed
    || Not An Expert Like You wrote:
    ||| I have been following the responses to a newbie here who goes by the
    ||| ID of Spam Stop. This person asked a worthy question and was
    ||| ridiculed by several people. There would be no need for this
    ||| newsgroup if everyone was an authority in computer science. Would
    ||| it not be better to offer sound advice without the negative comments
    ||| that generate ill-will? I am fairly new to this group also. Is
    ||| this what I am to expect from the regulars? Perhaps everyone
    ||| should stop the petty bickering for a moment and read this:
    ||| www.usoe.k12.ut.us/lan/howdoi/dumb.htm
    || Your point is simplistic and insulting. Whom do you address?

    You, among other, I would suggest.

    || For the people that have labored long and with little thanks to help

    Little thanks? Most people who give correct advice, in a non insulting way,
    get thanks.

    But if thanks is all you're here for... well, *get a life* is all I can tell
    you.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 20, 2003
  16. Not An Expert Like You

    Gadget Guest

    "Not An Expert Like You" said...
    Maybe you and SS should not take it so personal and learn the ropes before
    you stick your cow-pie covered boot in your mouth.

    LOL

    -Gadget

    Gadget, Oct 20, 2003
  17. Not An Expert Like You

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:52:00 -0700, gangle wrote:

    "Harrison" apparently can't seem to grasp the fact that usenet isn't e-mail, and
    that he isn't 24's moderator and has no business trying to be. He seems to give
    fair advice, but is so totally clueless on what usenet and this group really are
    that I felt compelled to bin him simply for stupidity, along with all the other
    tiny "me too" whingers who felt obligated to cry with him.

    "Ah, well. No great loss, from the looks of things."

    Mara, Oct 20, 2003
  18. It was on Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:52:00 -0700, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that gangle made this utterance:
    Nor me, either.
    Which is why he has languished in my bozo bin for a while.
    Here, here.
    Yup, one of the reasons he's been dumped.
    A clump of dirt's more interesting.

    "At least it has a history to tell."

    William Poaster, Oct 20, 2003
  19. Not An Expert Like You

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Harrison tried to scribble ...
    No they're not.
    That's one of you, don't presume to speak for anyone else.
    I'm 5' 4" and about 80 kilo. I _am_ more than you could handle .. ;)
    nothing." as said by Edward Burke I believe. Namby-pamby liberalism will
    not get anyone anywhere, but stupidity evangelising as 'right' will make you
    look a right twat. (Paul - xxx, 2003)
    Please, killfile me .. ;)

    HAND

    Paul - xxx, Oct 20, 2003
  20. Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    I missed this thread somehow.

    Does the Cliff Notes version go like this:

    Person shows up, cries about how the group is, and demands change,
    crying about it the whole time?

    If so, I bet his ass hurts worse than the last time he visited the
    primate exhibit at the zoo. <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Oct 20, 2003