A:\ is not accessible. I/O Device error

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Guest, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have windows XP. This computer is new to me, but not new. I have a ton of floppys from my old Sony camera and I want to upload some pictures. The floppys work fine on a friends computer who has Windows 98. EVERY floppy I put in, and try to open, the computer gives an error

    "A:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O Device error."

    If I knew what this meant I could probably fix it. The device manager says it is working fine and so does the driver. PLEASE HELP, I have been at it for hours, and I am more confused than when I started. Thank you. Mel

    Guest, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Guest

    Some0ne Guest

    may be your floppy drive has hardware problem. for example; data cable is
    unplugged or plugged wrong. can you check your floppy drives status led
    always light? if it's, your cable probably plugged wrong. and also, are you
    get this error message every time / every diskette you try open ?

    I have windows XP. This computer is new to me, but not new. I have a ton
    of floppys from my old Sony camera and I want to upload some pictures. The
    floppys work fine on a friends computer who has Windows 98. EVERY floppy I
    put in, and try to open, the computer gives an error

    "A:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an
    I/O Device error."

    Some0ne, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Guest

    Earl Guest

    Put in a new floppy and see if you can read and write information to that
    floppy. If so, the issue is with the floppy diskette from your friend's
    system (more about this below). If you cannot read and write to the new
    floppy, then you have an issue either with the drive, the cable, or the
    motherboard. It is not any more complex than that. Floppy drives go for
    about $5-10 and cables a bit less, so it should not be a big deal to fix the
    hardware problem.

    On the other hand, I suspect you probably have a read issue with that
    particular floppy. What many folks forget is that a floppy disk is a
    magnetic medium where the data gets arranged by the recording device, i.e.,
    the drive itself. If you have a drive that has been around forever, it may
    be seriously out of alignment, and while the pc that records the floppy can
    read it, any other floppy drive likely will not be able to do so.

    Earl, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Guest

    sylamps

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    i have a similar problem and i'm working on i. what computer has this floppy
    io problem; windows xp sp1,sp2? do you have any idea of your
    motherboard and does allow for bootable usb devices.

    sylamps, Oct 6, 2006