    By the way, I learned a lot from Mike Meyers (both book and video) but had
    to take him with a grain of salt as he tends to be opinionated and sometimes
    just plain wrong. I recommend checking out some other materials.

    Bruce Klorfine, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Fair enough/

    Bruce Klorfine, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Bruce Klorfine

    Crimson* Guest

    You could laminate it and carry it with you. But what practical use does
    carrying it serve you may ask? Once I was stopped by a policeman for
    speeding and when asked for my ID I flashed my A+ card was let go ;)

    Crimson*, Mar 29, 2006
  4. CompTIA used to "forbid" lamination, I think...I don't know what the
    current policy is.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Bruce Klorfine

    Crimson* Guest

    That would explain why the cop let me go. If he saw I was crazy enough to
    blatantly laminate my A+ card, what else was I prone to do?

    Crimson*, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Reply to 2 of my messages in a row? :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 29, 2006
  7. Bruce Klorfine

    Crimson* Guest

    Actually you replied to 4 of mine. It must be love!

    Crimson*, Mar 30, 2006
  8. Bruce Klorfine

    Bruce Guest

    You could laminate it and carry it with you. But what practical use does
    I don't want to get stopped by the CompTIA Police and be caught for illegal
    lamination.

    Bruce, Mar 30, 2006
  9. Bruce Klorfine

    JohnO Guest

    Are you sure that cop wasn't driving a black and white VW Bug with an
    orange logo on the side? <g>

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 30, 2006
  10. Bruce Klorfine

    Crimson* Guest

    An A+ card would probably inspire awe in the soul of a Geek Squad member ;)

    Crimson*, Mar 31, 2006
  11. Bruce Klorfine

    JohnO Guest

    Uhh, have you ever worked with any of those guys? (gals)

    I've worked with about 20 of them from the Kansas City area, as well as
    a "Field Commander" from Minneapolis, and they were really good. As in,
    Really Good.

    FWIW, their standards are a LOT higher than A+. And they get mistaken
    for cops all the time.

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 31, 2006
  12. Bruce Klorfine

    Crimson* Guest

    Then my local store must be an exception. I'm very close friends with one
    of the GS employees and her boss (who's in charge of the Precinct) has to
    bring his home PC in to be worked on b/c he doesn't know what to do with it
    himself. Of course, this is the same guy who told an older couple that
    "there is no virus made that <he> can't clean!" and then later admitted to
    the rest of the GS that he's had to call Symantec to get help in cleaning
    viruses. He also refers to TCP/IP as "that TSP stuff".

    The guys that seem to stick around in that job are people who can't achieve
    their A+ and move on to better positions. Anyone who was any good w/ PCs
    moved on quickly. Like I said, this store COULD be an exception, but the GS
    is more about advertising than knowledge. They're sort of like the Wal-Mart
    of computer service. Not that that's an entirely bad thing. So many techs
    aren't sociable and are very close-minded that that is probably why so many
    "regular" users and older people feel comfortable dealing with them.

    As far as being mistaken for police, wasn't there was some deal in one state
    where they can't use their recognizable Beetle b/c it looks too much like a
    police vehicle (California maybe?)

    Crimson*, Apr 1, 2006
  13. Bruce Klorfine

    JohnO Guest

    I hope so. :)

    The guys I've worked with were probably the top of their group in the
    metro KC area. Even before the GS, I got three of the Best Buy techs
    each year for two days to help me run a computer repair contest. Like I
    noted, so far they've all been outstanding.

    Yeah, I read about that. The Field Marshall I worked with last year
    told me they were walking through Chicago and stopped to get some
    snacks at a little store. The guy at the counter wouldn't let them
    pay....thinking they were Chicago PD. LOL

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 1, 2006
  14. When I did electronics repair, I occasionally had to call the
    manufacturer's tech support to complete a repair...what's the big
    deal? Admittedly a bit of a stretch, but if he has the resources at
    his beck and call, then he is for all intents and purposes cleaning
    the virus. There is a balance between the macho, do it all by yourself
    approach, and getting it done in timely fashion to maximize financial
    gain. I will admit that the ultimate feeling of conquest when a tough
    repair is completeld is sullied somewhat when help is needed; that's
    why I spent so many personal hours (at times) working on the toughies.
    If you go to Weight Watchers and lose 50 pounds, who lost the weight?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 1, 2006
  15. Bruce Klorfine

    JohnO Guest

    Knowing everything is impossible, but knowing where to *get* answers is
    is a critically important skill.

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 2, 2006
  16. Damn the practical! Damn it, I say! :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 4, 2006
  17. Bruce Klorfine

    Bruce Guest

    none of which has anything to do with the A+ ID card, I'm afraid. :(

    Bruce, Apr 5, 2006
  18. I'm not sure to whom you are replying, but if you allow for the
    inevitable "n" degrees of separation, it does.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 5, 2006