    I have tried a couple (Spybot and something else I cant remeber) but found
    them scrappy and not effective in comparison.
    What do you guys recomend?

    Guest, May 10, 2007

  2. I simply use the included Windows Defender.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 10, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Colin, I have that switched on but I dont think is as effective as
    something like Spyware Doctor but that wont work on 64bit!!!
    Still looking for one!

    Guest, May 10, 2007
  4. Actually, I'm with Colin on this. I think Defender is quite good. Can't say
    the same for OneCare - I don't like it at all. but the built in Defender,
    combined with running with UAC turned on (the default) and with IE7 set to
    anti-phishing mode makes a very good anti-spyware solution, IMHO.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 10, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I would like to agree with you but the reviews are dreadful!
    So still hunting, it took me ages to find Spyware Doctor and now that doesnt
    run on 64bit I feel at a loss.

    Guest, May 10, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm using Symantec's Corporate product. It includes 5 licenses that I end up
    using for 5 different installations (32 and 64 bit). The x64 version doesn't
    have all the same options (i.e. 'Tamper Protection' of the registry). It is
    in the $200 range. The $70 CA product I bought really stunk. I never felt
    like it did anything. BTW Symantec is considered to really slow down systems.

    I've also heard very good things about f-prot. $50 for 10 licenses. I'm
    going to give it a try and have two virus engines scan my computers. I do
    use the MS built in firewall and set the necessary exceptions. I use a more
    powerful firewall at the point of connection to the internet though.

    I also am beginning to use a passive ethernet tap (Snort on Linux) in order
    to profile my traffic.

    Guest, May 10, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Which Symantec product is it? 360? Internet Security? or Anti Virus?
    I already have the Anti Virus but am unsure about the others.

    Guest, May 10, 2007
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My bad. F-Prot doesn't have a 64 bit version yet!

    I bought my Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate version a few months ago where a 5
    lincense minimum was required. I can only find this version now for sale:

    http://www.symantec.com/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=vir_prot&pvid=av_corp

    Note that it is an anti-spyware anti adware capable product. And it did
    alert for me on 2 or 3 times for adware.

    I hate the all in one products Symantec sells because they keep you from
    your computer or false alert alot or are constantly being asked to be
    configured. It seems to be a marketing ploy to make you think their product
    is doing something for you. There small business/corporate products are
    reasonable. Even though MS's built in firewall is okay. If I were you I'd
    use a firewall on your internet gateway too. :)

    Guest, May 10, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yep Ive got the Vista Anti Virus runs like a dream doesnt slow any thing down
    loads really quickly and you can do a scan while you are working if you
    minimise it and it wont cause any grief.
    I didnt think I'd ever say it but well played Symantec!

    Guest, May 10, 2007
  10. Guest

    Graham Guest

    The best anti-spyware sits in front of the keyboard. That would be you.
    Don't visit dubious sites, don't open dubious emails, don't run things
    from dubious sources. Keep your operating system, browser and email
    program patches up to date.

    Both Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/) and
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) will run just fine on
    x64 and are very well regarded.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 12, 2007
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Graham,
    Finally someone found one!!! I've been asking in loads of forums.
    I used the Lavasoft one as I found the Spybot to be a bit churlish in its
    appearance-throwback to XP.
    You are right about the user being the best spyware detective but someimes
    as you know these spyware programs are cunning and can hide, especially in
    software.
    Turns out my computer was squeaky clean but thank you very much and I am now
    protected.

    Guest, May 12, 2007
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Eskimosound

    I've been using the Panda software suite for some time
    (www.pandasoftware.com) and found it to be very effective. I have it running
    on both 32 & 64 bit versions of XP (both are offically supported) and have no
    issues. They offer licencing covering 3 PC's and have evaluation versions to
    download. I have found the software (I am using the Titanium version) to not
    be to resource hungry either which is a good bonus.

    Hope this helps

    Royston H

    Guest, Jun 11, 2007
  13. Guest

    slook_you

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Tappan NY
    64 bit anti-spyware

    Besides live care (which I use), AVG free edition works as well as the free spybot. AVG is not compatible with live care though and is relatively slow but it is fairly effective. The spyware doctor was one of the better ones so it is a pity that it did does not work on 64 bit systems. Hopefully this will be remedied.

    slook_you, Jun 30, 2008
  14. Guest

    furm

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Vista 64 bit antispy

    I have Sunbelt Counterspy works on my 64bit Vista.

    furm, Feb 5, 2009