A fun game to play with George Preddy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Canon 10D = 6.3MP, SD9 = 14MP.

    Interpolated. But no one serious uses interpolated stuff.

    George Preddy, Jan 22, 2004

  2. 10D = 6.3MP interpolated
    SD9 = 3.4 MP interpolated within each photosite.

    Braindead Preddy, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Foveon = 3.4MP, Bayer = 6MP

    Braindead Preddy, Jan 22, 2004
  4. but not the inventor opf 3CCD as you claim.
    which is blatantly untrue, as so much of the other crap that foveon post.
    So they resorted to lying about the pixel count.

    Braindead Preddy, Jan 22, 2004

  5. producing. Not invented.

    All the rest of it basically says that CMOS is the technology to use for
    cameras, which you have been debunking consistently in this very newsgroup.

    Braindead Preddy, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Where on that page can we find the above claim about 3-sensor
    camera's???????????????????
    Apparently you think an X3 sensor is a 3-sensor camera??????
    You are clueless, beyond hope.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 22, 2004
  7. 75%????????????????????????????

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 22, 2004
  8. SNIP
    75%??????????????????????????????

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.
    The question was "CAN YOU POINT TO JUST ONE EXAMPLE" (capitalized because
    your eyesight also appears to be poor). Apparently cou can't, so it was
    another lie.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 22, 2004
  10. First you say the are at 10.29M locations (very misleading in the context
    of the question that specifically mentions "on the focal plane"). Then
    you say spatial offsets are only relevant when sampling the same color,
    because, as you know, they are at 3.43M locations.
    But they sample the same 3.43M locations.
    Exactly. Now you're getting it.

    So in conclusion, and in theory, the Foveon can more precisely
    determine the average frequency of photons hitting a specific
    photosite. In practice, the Foveon cannot reproduce colors
    faithfully. Furthermore, though it might appear that it resolves
    fine details, in practice (SD9/SD10) some details are in fact
    aliased artifacts (read: noise) that were not low pass filtered
    (something any 2nd year engineer student can identify). This
    noise, while pleasing to some SD9/SD10 adherents, is a distortion,
    an artifact, akin to something you would get when sampling a
    woman’s voice without a Low Pass Filter at 3000 Hz.

    On the other hand, a Bayer sensor can resolve finer details with less
    noise, thanks in part to more photosites, and in part to engineers who
    understand Nyquist.

    It would be interesting to compare a Foveon and a Bayer with
    the same number of photosites spread over the same area, using
    the same lens, and both low pass filtered to the same spatial
    frequency (preferably below Nyquist). But my guess is that
    we will never see such a Foveon sensor/camera.

    William Wallace, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Lionel

    Bill M Guest

    I see you've learned nothing...as I've said many times, go learn how
    Bayer REALLY works, you'll look less the fool.

    Bill M, Jan 22, 2004
  12. No it does not.
    Neither do Foveon.
    No - it does not guess. It interpolates.

    All meassuring systems are approximations to reality.
    The photons that hit the lens are just a tiny fraction
    (and here I mean *tiny* and not the huge 25% you are
    talking about) of the light emitted from the subject.
    Those photons comes in all wavelengths, visible or not.
    There is an integral number of the photons, but the
    wavelengths of the photons is a continous spectrum.
    The detecting sensor has a non 100% efficiency and also
    a limited bandwidth. There is also noise in the
    electronic circuits to consider. All in all there
    are lots of things that makes the detection an approximation.
    Not to speak about the very limited detection of three
    passband for meassuring color. And for Foveon the entire
    color filtration and reconstruction method is very
    dubious.

    So - no - detecting actual colors. That you cannot.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jan 22, 2004
  13. (blah)

    George, try and look closer:

    This is a question. It was adressed to you.
    This means that the warden asking you this question
    expects you to answer this question. It would be
    nice if you would try and find an answer, because
    you always mess up the floor of the electroshock
    therapy room that we would have to take you to
    yet again, if you don't try and be a nice loony.

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Nope. Written by Foveon, the most dishonest company
    right next in line after Silicon Film.

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  15. No. Current top of the line products use single
    chips and progressive scan. On Bayer imagers....

    Your technical level of knowledge dates back to
    the early seventies, poor chum. But hey, after
    30 years in the isolation ward.....

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  16. No, they are unmistakable. Sigma *does* have lateral
    offset. So George is sort of right calling it 10.x MP,
    but he fails to understand that exactly this in
    combination with their substandard sampling and far
    inferior interpolation algorithm is responsible for
    their crappy results.

    They simply combine three subpixels of random accuracy
    while Bayers interpolate from 9 sources of precise data.

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  17. Bullshit. That was invented almost 20 years before
    Foveon was even founded.

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  18. Wow, you are indeed badly challenged by simple math.
    Hint: 2/3 do not equal to 75%.

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  19. You must be crosseyed, then. Or maybe you stuck your head
    too close to the drawings, vision is poor at such close ranges.
    Look again, Georgie, old Gremlin, it's not that hard.

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004
  20. Being a crook doesn't make him awesome, you know.
    You mean he is beaver meat now?

    Michael Quack, Jan 22, 2004