    usa, only to the uk?.

    Any advice / recommendations would be appreciated

    Thank you

    Mike, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Mike

    DVDHelp.us Guest

    Playing PAL discs in an NTSC player isn't usually a problem. Most of the
    players sold in the US do this without a problem.

    However, region coding is going to be an issue for you. Do a search of this
    page (the only page I recommend on that site. LOL) before you buy any
    particular model.

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php

    --
    Jake

    Webmaster
    http://www.dvdhelp.us

    Usenet service for heavy downloaders:
    http://kickme.to/giganews

    DVDHelp.us, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Am i right in thinking the players in the us are slightly different to those
    in the uk?.
    ie power wise? and they are set to output ntsc not pal ?

    Im thinking of buying a toshiba 330 from amazon.com. according to that site
    I can make this multiregion via a hack.
    I currently have one of these players bought here in the uk which is
    multiregion but a uk model.

    Forgive my ignorance, i'm unsure what works and what won't.

    It also turns out most of your tv's of which ill be buying are all
    progressive
    scan to, so i should also consider a progressive scan dvd player!

    Mike, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Mike

    Eric Guest

    dvd player!

    The JVC's at 220Electronics have been highly regarded:

    http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/jvc600.htm

    http://www.220-electronics.com/

    Good luck!

    Eric, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Mike

    TB Guest

    "Mike" > Am i right in thinking the players in the us are slightly different
    to those
    One thing you need to be aware of is while many players will *play* a Pal or
    NTSC format dvd, it may not have the onboard converter so the picture
    displays properly on your tv or monitor. Surprisingly, many of the cheap
    Hong Kong dvd players have this feature built in. The Daewoo S151 dvd player
    for instance is all region and also has a Pal/NTSC onboard converter and
    goes for under 100 bucks. It does not have progressive scan and it is a
    "cheap" player that doesn't output as quality picture and sound as say,
    higher end Pioneer, Toshiba or Sony dvd player but it will do the job.

    Almost any dvd player can be hacked to provide playback of any region dvds
    including the few that have onboard PAL converters, but to get a really
    decent player w/progressive scan and top flight image and sound, you may
    need to check out online sellers who do mods for the better "name" players.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Mike

    luminos Guest

  7. I bought a philips 724, it converts PAL to NTSC and is SUPER EASY to
    make region free. Just punch in 1111 on the remote and then choose
    region 0. As far as I remember it works with both 110 and 220 volts
    and it has component/composite/S-Video outputs.

    Keld Landin-Petersen.

    Keld Landin-Petersen, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Mike

    DVDHelp.us Guest

    Well, everything is different power-wise. We run on 110, you run on 220. I
    can regale you with stories of American tourists suddenly discovering that
    their hair dryer has become a flame thrower, if you like... <G>

    DVDHelp.us, Sep 3, 2003
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    lol

    Mike, Sep 3, 2003
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated
    Its the same here we have cheap daewoo etc players which seem to do
    everything but
    the picture quality is not as good as the pioneer/tosh/sony players.
    I would like to buy one of these 3 brands because these are the 3 best for
    dvd players imo.
    I will probably be looking to buy a Rear Projection or Plasma screen, again
    one of the above 3 brands.
    Do you guys not have a couple of wellknown, reputable online stores you use
    to buy your multiregion players from ?.
    Here i the UK we have 2 or 3 where most people order their multiregion dvd
    players from
    one infact is amazon.co.uk but your USA amazon.com doesnt appear to supply
    multiregion versions.

    Mike, Sep 3, 2003
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    was ideally looking for a tosh, pioneer, sony, but will definately have a
    look at this, thanks for the info.

    Mike, Sep 3, 2003
  12. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks .

    At the top of the page though it says:

    LOW PRICES Guarantee 220 Volt Appliances

    These must be uk models?. Cheaper just to bring mine with me ;-)

    Mike, Sep 3, 2003
  13. Mike

    Mike Davis Guest

    Mike,
    You guys on the other side of the pond have different gear available,
    but of course it's all available on the web. I live in the US and have a
    number of players, but for multi-region and/or multi-format I use a Momitsu
    DVD-V880. It's an HK sourced machine and not only does PAL to NTSC, NTSC to
    PAL, but it also has a progressive scan DVI output with a built-in video
    scaler!!!! It also has the normal componant outputs for non-hdtv displays.
    To be fair, I own some pretty nice (read expensive) players and the image
    quality of the DVI output from the Momi' to an HDTV display, a projector in
    my case, is incredible at either 720p or 1080i. This goofy little player
    only cost's 220US and in many respects equals the image from a medium grade
    standalone scaler. Un-effing-believable.
    Here's the link so you can read about some of the stuff that is
    available at low cost:
    https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/main_frame.htm
    Welcome to America, or as they say in Ireland- "All the bloody best!"
    Mike Davis

    Mike Davis, Sep 3, 2003
  14. Mike

    J S Baldry Guest

    Jake,
    Regarding playing PAL DVD's in the US.
    I wonder if you could add some specifics to the generalized "Most of the
    players sold in the US do this without a problem".
    I have a (legally) region-free PAL DVD (from the UK) that I want to play
    in the US on a US DVD player.
    I have a Tenlab PAL/NTSC convertor box that enables my NTSC TV to
    correctly display from a PAL source.
    My Region 1 DVD player (Sony DVP-S300) refuses to play, saying "Playing
    this disc prohibited by area limits"
    My computer says that the disk is Region 1 thru 6

    I wonder if the "most" is more like "most new" ... any examples of
    current DVD players (Sony if you know) that you know play PAL would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Jon

    J S Baldry, Sep 5, 2003