    Some people boast on and on about LiIon batteries. Why do you prefer
    AA's?

    thanks.

    mert, Nov 15, 2004

  2. mert

    Aerticus Guest

    Hi mert

    It sounds as if you have completed your homework pretty well.

    FWIW we all have to get used to changing spec on digital cameras. When I
    put all I mean all: manufacturers, brandholders, distributors, wholesalers,
    retailers and, of course, the people all this has been set up to serve:
    customers.

    I think we may all rest assured that next year's kit will be to next year's
    spec - just like computers...

    LiONs ~ AAs
    My preference is for AAs as they are readily available most places in the
    world and I'd prefer to take rechargable NiMHs confident that if there is no
    recharge option I can get by on a bundle of alkaline based AAs. LiONs don't
    readily provide an easy alternative power supply that is readily available
    almost worldwide

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 15, 2004

  3. mert

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Availability price and convenience. I would permit battery type to influence
    my choice between comparable cameras. However, in your case the cameras are
    not directly comparable, the G6 is clearly superior in lens quality,
    resolution, external flash bracket etc. You must decide between the price
    and features of the two and in that comparison I would downgrade battery
    type to a minor consideration. For myself it would be the A95 based on price
    and my modest needs, but the G6 is a fine camera.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 15, 2004
  4. mert

    C J Campbell Guest

    You have to accept that any camera you buy will be obsolete within a week.
    :)

    I like lithium ion batteries much better, but you should have at least one
    spare. They recharge very quickly.

    C J Campbell, Nov 15, 2004
  5. mert

    Aerticus Guest

    AA NiMHs take 60 to 120 minutes to recharge depending on the recharger.

    The one I have will recharge from 12 volt auto outlet and recharge up to 4
    AA (or AAAs for that matter)

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Just to add my 2 cents. The fact that the A95 has 4 AAs is a plus, From
    what I have read they provide plenty of power. I too am in the market
    for this camera.

    Ron

    Rockin Ronnie, Nov 15, 2004
  7. My Ray-O-Vac 2000 nimh take 15 minutes in a Ray-O-Vac charger.

    Rockin Ronnie, Nov 15, 2004
  8. mert

    Aerticus Guest

    yeh - way to go Rockin Ronnie

    Aerticus, Nov 15, 2004
  9. mert

    Sabineellen Guest

    My uniross will take 30 minutes. Though the main reason i got it to upgrade
    from my 1 hour charger was that it could charge 1 or 3 batteries too at a time,
    and not necessarily 2 or 4.

    Does anyone know if there's a downside to these rapid chargers? do they make
    NIMH batteries last less?

    Sabineellen, Nov 17, 2004
  10. mert

    Aerticeus Guest

    Hey mert

    whatever you do don't pocrastinate

    remember that time in IT world moves a lot quicker than time in any other
    world.

    By the time you make your mind up the spec will probably be totally as is
    T-O-T-A-L-L-E-E different

    Aerticeus

    Aerticeus, Nov 17, 2004
  11. mert

    Sabineellen Guest

    I can't find the original post but I'll reply to this one as if it the one.

    I don't know if you saw the a95 and handled it, but i was looking at one today
    in a shop next to subway (the sandwich place). It actually was bigger than i
    thought. Much bigger than, for example, the Olympus c60. The other one that was
    surprisingly big was the KM G600. I don't think the A95 has much size advantage
    over the G6, i really don't think it's that much smaller that size matters
    between the two.

    Sabineellen, Nov 17, 2004
  12. I have used AA NiMH batteries for a few years and my complaint is
    their high rate of self-discharge. If you don't use your camera very
    often, you'll find your batteries discharged just when you need them.
    LiIon batteries are supposedly better in this regard.

    -Tripurari

    Tripurari Singh, Nov 18, 2004