a decent voip / adsl / wifi router

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve R, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. Steve R

    Steve R Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking to get a new adsl router and wondered if anyone could recommend
    one.
    I need adsl modem and wifi built in with the facility to connect a standard
    (DECT) phone for use with an as yet to be decided voip service.
    I don't want to spend more than 100 gbp if possible.
    Can anyone recommend one?

    In addition I need a voip service that would work well with the above set
    up. Quality is more important than cost - in that , for UK calls at least, I
    need the quality to be as near to a standard phone as possible and have
    facilities for fowarding calls to a mobile phone.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times. I'm new to the group and
    just looking for a current recommendation.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve R, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Steve R

    clavox Guest

    Take a look at the Linksys range regarding modem router and voip.co.uk
    for the voip . Voip uk give you free calls evenings and weekends and
    good quality and a most helpful guy on their help desk.

    clavox, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Steve R

    Brian Guest

    Not that there hasn't been the odd call or two which wasn't comparable
    with landline quality, but on the whole audio quality has never been an
    issue with the VISPs I've used. I cannot think of any in particular to
    avoid. There is a range of diversion options, including to a mobile, at
    www.voiptalk.org. Their service is reliable and well-established.

    Brian.

    Brian, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Steve R

    Ivor Jones Guest

    For the router, try the Fritz!Box range - www.avm.de/en

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Steve R

    Tim Guest

    I have yet to find an ADSL router/wifi combination that works really
    well. There is always a downside.

    I would suggest you buy:

    1) ZyXEL P660R-61C Cheap and cheerful, plain router. Don't buy the
    higher models because they sometimes cause issues with SIP.

    I reckon this router is the best for holding the connection up, and also
    getting the fastest connection speed on ADSL max.

    2) Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Wireless Access point. Disable the router bit
    (via switch on bottom), and just use it as a wireless access point.
    This also gives you a 5 port switch.

    3) Siemens C460IP dect phone. This saves you needing to have a device
    with FXO ports on to connect your existing DECT phone.

    It will all add up to more than 100 pounds. I reckon about 145 + VAT.
    But you did say that quality is more important than cost.

    There are loads of service providers.

    Gradwell and Voipfone are both competent and can do forwarding to
    mobile. Call quality is generally better than a standard phone - no
    analogue cable to the exchange.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Steve R

    Steve R Guest

    Thanks Tim and everyone else for the useful advice.
    I like the look of the Siemens phone . I will have to give the setup some
    thought.

    Thanks,

    Steve
    ..

    Steve R, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Steve R

    Martin² Guest

    Apart from the Fritz!, there are two other good quality, (and therefore not
    cheap), VoIP / WiFi routers:
    Zyxel 2602 HW/L - very good, however the WiFi is not the best.
    Draytek Vigor 2800VG - excellent quality and reliability.

    However if you want to keep under £100, you should be able to find the older
    Vigor 2600VG on ebay,
    that's how I got mine, never missed a bit in 3 years.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Mar 2, 2007
  8. Steve R

    tinnews Guest

    Can I put in a vote for the Speedtouch 716WL, I bought a refurbished
    one for about £40 and it's been 100% reliable for a year or more now.
    It's better (for me) then the Zyxel it replaced, mainly because the
    Zyxel's software was a bit flakey when I tried to use the Media
    Bandwidth Management.

    tinnews, Mar 2, 2007
  9. Steve R

    Tim Guest

    That is why I suggested the P660R-61C. It doesn't have any complicated
    features to go flaky :)

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Steve R

    Tim Guest

    I have to say I've gone off Draytek. They used to be my standard
    recommended router.

    I've found that they just can't cope with ADSL MAX lines. Too many
    resyncs[1]. And often they don't connect at full speed.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Yes, the 2800G is very fussy about ADSLmax. There are also problems
    with its Wireless when using some chipsets and drivers.

    I bought my 2800G based on Vigor's reputation, but I wouldn't buy
    another.

    Cheers
    Tony

    Tony Mountifield, Mar 2, 2007
  12. Steve R

    hairydog Guest

    I've found the opposite.

    hairydog, Mar 2, 2007
  13. Steve R

    Herman Guest

    It may not fit in the OP's price range but I am mostly happy with it.

    Herman, Mar 3, 2007
  14. Steve R

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Same here, I am currently using the original Fritz!Box Fon without
    wireless, but I am awaiting the release of the 7170 in the UK, but I don't
    think it will be this year :-(

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 3, 2007
  15. Are you aware that most of the recent ones have a choice of different
    firmwares to try in case of problems? I can't think of any other
    manufacturer that offers that.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 3, 2007
  16. Yes, in fact I'm currently running 2.7.1 D79, which is a bit better
    than the E38 I was running before, but still not perfect. It still feels
    like they have some fundamental design defect, and the various firmware
    versions are just "hope for the best" strategy, rather than Draytek
    *really* understanding the issues and dealing with them.

    Cheers
    Tony

    Tony Mountifield, Mar 3, 2007
  17. I can only say that this is contrary to my experience with them. The
    2600 that I used from 2003 until about six months ago is still going
    strong in another family home, and the 2800G with which I replaced it
    worked perfectly until I changed to Orange Broadband and they supplied
    their own router. It even worked on the Orange service for a day
    because they changed the service before the box arrived. The 2800G
    doesn't have a VOIP phone socked, so I don't know if the appropriate
    version (2800VG I think) would have worked with the Orange internet
    phone service, but it was solid on the basic internet access.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 4, 2007
  18. Steve R

    Ron Wellsted Guest