    If the source was 4:3, then it seems silly to not want 4:3. If the
    source *wasn't* 4:3, then the MPEG file won't be, either, and you'll get
    what you want. Pretty simple, actually.

    Jeff Rife, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Pity that the source isnt 4:3
    Wrong. When saved in dvr-ms or ts format, you dont get 4:3

    When saved in mpeg format, it is.
    Fraid its nothing like as simple as you claim.

    Rod Speed, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Rod Speed

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Rod Speed () wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
    Get better software. There's a bunch that converts from .TS to MPEG-2
    (by just stripping out the ATSC nulls, PSIP, etc.) and you end up with
    a MPEG-2 file of the exact same resolution as the original HDTV stream.
    I have 3 different pieces of software that do this just fine.
    Yeah, it really is. Run it through any of:

    HDTVToMPEG2
    Fusion Converter
    NeroVision Express

    That's all I own, but I know that other people use other software that works
    exactly the same way.

    Jeff Rife, Apr 30, 2005
  4. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Dont need to.
    What was being discussed was what format it was SAVED in.

    I already save in dvr-ms or ts format and convert to mpeg and dont
    get that 4:3 problem. I only get that when its SAVED in mpg format.
    I have even more than that and thats how I produce the mpeg files.

    Separate issue entirely to the original
    that proposed SAVING in mpg format.
    Nope, not with SAVING IN MPG FORMAT TO SAVE A STEP IT ISNT.
    Doesnt save a step.
    Doesnt save a step.

    Rod Speed, Apr 30, 2005
  5. Rod Speed

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Rod Speed () wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
    Apparently, you do.
    Here's where you need the better software. When the Fusion HDTV saves
    in MPEG format, it just saves the MPEG stream stripped of ATSC info.

    So, get a better recorder and you will solve your playback problems.
    I don't know why you are so paranoid about "saving a step". All the
    software I listed converts from .TS to MPEG at 12x real time (or better),
    with no need for human intervention after it is started (and some you can
    automate completely to convert right after the capture).

    Jeff Rife, May 1, 2005
  6. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wrong again.
    Thats what my card does too.
    Because that was what was actually being discussed.

    Nothing 'paranoid' about that.
    Pity what was actually being discussed WAS SAVING THAT STEP.

    Rod Speed, May 1, 2005
  7. Rod Speed

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Rod Speed () wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
    If your recording software saves a 16:9 program as 4:3 when saving as
    MPEG, exactly which piece of software is broken: your recording software
    or your player?
    OK, then live with it and stop bitching here. If you are OK with your
    recording saving in the wrong aspect ratio, then be OK with it and don't
    complain that you can't find a player to fix the problem, when the problem
    is the recording software.
    Apparently, it doesn't, since it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 from 16:9,
    and this is causing you problems on playback.

    If your recording software didn't do this, you could record straight to
    MPEG, save the step you are whining about, and play back with *any*
    software you choose.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Coach: Yeah, Norm, how come you and Vera never

    Jeff Rife, May 1, 2005
  8. Rod Speed

    primo Guest

    No Rod is right, he doesnt need better software.
    His software just needs an operator update.

    Rod is a smartarse.

    As you have seen if you reply to his request for help he responds with
    negative comments and infers he knows more than you.

    The fact of the matter is Rod cant get his software to work correctly.
    The fact of the matter is that unlike everyone else Rod cant work it out
    for himself and had to go to multiple newsgroups begging for help.
    The fact of the matter is Rod couldnt use Google to work it out for
    himself and had to ask for help.

    And the funniest thing is that after a week of searching and asking and
    giving smartalec comments Rod still cant get it to work.

    As everyone can see you can do it and Rod cant.

    primo, May 2, 2005
  9. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    I never did 'bitch here', YOU claimed that a step could be saved
    by saving in mpeg format, YOU got that wrong. Like that or lump it.
    I didnt even complain you fool. YOU clearly claimed that a step could be
    saved by saving in mpeg format, YOU got that wrong. Like that or lump it.
    Wrong again.
    Just another of you pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, child.
    Keep desperately digging, you'll be out in china any day now, child.

    Rod Speed, May 3, 2005
  10. Rod Speed

    Jeff Rife Guest

    First thing, stop adding back snipped things. It's rude.

    Rod Speed () wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
    So, you're broken, then, I guess.

    Your original postings:

    Rod Speed () wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
    |> Must work with either dvr-ms or mpeg files because anything else is much too
    |> slow to convert into what it can use. ts files at pinch but they are much
    |> bigger.

    Rod Speed () wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:

    |> > You can save a step if you save on disk as .mpg files.
    |>
    |> That isnt viable, its 4:3 format.
    No, *I* never claimed that. Somebody else did. And, yes, you are bitching
    about not being able to find player software that plays with the format
    you *want* it to record in.

    But, you say it won't work because "its [sic] 4:3 format".

    OK, so your recording software saves in 4:3 format when using MPEG files.
    This is all we know from this statement. Because of your cryptic (and
    rude) responses, I had to spell out the following observations:

    If the original source broadcast was 4:3, this shouldn't be a problem.
    If the original source broadcast was 16:9, then your recording software
    is *broken* when saving MPEG files, since it saves 16:9 as 4:3.

    It's not the job of a player to fix broken recordings.
    As you can see, I never claimed that. Somebody else did.

    So, what, exactly is the problem you are having with your player software,
    then, that wouldn't be solved if your recording software didn't save MPEGs
    as 4:3?

    Jeff Rife, May 3, 2005
  11. Top posted and completely snipped to be as intentionally rude as possible.

    Mr. Rod Speed, you are an ass. I haven't seen anyone as arrogant and
    simplistically bullheaded as you in a very long time.

    HAND, IHTH, FOADSD.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, May 4, 2005