A decent fax-viewing program for XP --- suggestions, please?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *alan*, May 4, 2007.

  1. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Our department will be moving from Windows 2000 to XP, which is fine, except
    for one issue. Incoming faxes are stored digitally and normally accessed by
    a large number of employees through the Kodak Imaging utility which came
    bundled with 2000 and which does not work with XP. XP apparently has
    bundled in a different default fax viewer made by Global 360 --- problem is
    that the Global 360 viewer is a piece of cr-p: its unchangeable default
    presentation presents the entire document as an unreadable full page and one
    must always click for a 100% view. The page rotation and next-page controls
    are located inconveniently and obscurely at the bottom of the screen. After
    one has achieved a readable 100% view, wheel-scrolling down magnifies and
    wheel-scrolling back up de-magnifies. If one wishes to scroll at a
    consistent 100% view, one must resort to the scroll-bar on the side.
    Additionally, a simple print command leads one through an unbelievably
    sluggish "Print Wizard" which requires 4-5 extra clicks to print the
    document. Fax viewing on XP will, in short, become a miserably irritating
    chore.

    Here's what I'm looking for: a fax viewing program which is closest to the
    Kodak Imaging utility on 2000. Important features would be:

    1. Default viewing at 100%.
    2. Page rotation, next-page, and zoom controls at the top of the screen.
    3. Single-click print command.
    4. Wheel-scrolling independent of zoom.
    5. Compatibility with XP.

    The department is quite willing to purchase the program or licensing or
    whatever would be involved, so it is NOT a requirement that the program be
    free.

    Thank you.

    *alan*, May 4, 2007

  2. *alan*

    Mike Easter Guest

    If you search for kodak imaging on XP you will find people have made
    batch files to install several of the win2k kodak files and make some
    registry entries. You will also find in your search the company
    promoting the new windows imaging, and you will also find a page which
    sez that you can extract the Win2k files from the 2k disk and use its
    ..inf file to intall the kodak app on xp.

    http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1128453,00.html
    Install Kodak Imaging for Windows XP
    -- If you would like to install Kodak Imaging, extract these files from
    I386 folder of Windows 2000 CD: [...] Right-click IMAGEVUE.INF and
    select install.

    Mike Easter, May 4, 2007

  3. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Thanks, Mike ---- that would be a perfect solution. I'll suggest this route
    to the IT guys tomorrow.

    *alan*, May 4, 2007
  4. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    P.S. I just ran across this little article, though, which raises the issue
    of breach of copyright and/or licensing:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=3&threadID=168204&start=0
    "It is in fact a copyright violation to take Imaging for Windows from a
    prior O/S and 'drop' it into XP; this activity is also a violation of both
    eiStream's and Microsoft's licenses to end users."
    I'll still run it by the IT guys tomorrow, but I'll bet that's the first
    thing they'll bring up.
    So I'm probably still gonna be looking for a program that'll have the same
    features . . . .

    Oh well, "if it's too good to be true . . . . "

    *alan*, May 4, 2007
  5. *alan*

    Mike Easter Guest

    The batch files were previously posted at the same site where someone is
    claiming the usage in an alternate Win OS is a copyright issue.

    The company doing that promotion sez that the program that you don't
    like is better than the program that you do like.

    http://www.alliancegroup.co.uk/ImagePro.htm <that page also sez you
    can't use the software without a license>
    Yep. That's what that guy sez and that's what the people who sell the
    software say. You can also try out the software at alliance for 14 days
    before you have to pay for it
    http://www.alliancegroup.co.uk/Imaging-for-Windows.html A 14 day
    evaluation of Imaging for Windows 2.8 is available

    You could check that out and see if it is like the one you don't like or
    if it is like the old one. If it is like the old one you can buy the
    license.

    Mike Easter, May 4, 2007
  6. *alan*

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    I'd look at it from the other end, can the fax server be persuaded to
    deliver in PDF format?

    Desk Rabbit, May 4, 2007