    Collection version, $12-$20 depending. Are they both anamorphic or
    neither? Does anyone know? Thanks.

    Dan

    Dan_Musicant, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Dan_Musicant

    Chris Oxford Guest

    Unfortunately, none of the versions of A Clockwork Orange released are
    anamorphic.
    There are actually 3 versions out there; one released in 1999; after strong
    complaints about the first release
    (along with The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and a few other Warner Brothers
    releases that were sourced from old masters), Warner restored and
    remastered several of these films for a second release a year or so later.
    They even had 5.1 surround sound mixes on the second release (note that
    there is a banner on the top of the new cover that says "Restored and
    Remastered"). However, this newer version was not anamorphic either
    (although it does look and sound much much better than the first release).
    The final release was a box set of sorts, with the DVD within
    no doubt being the same as the previously released remaster.

    Chris Oxford, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Dan_Musicant

    theyak Guest

    Hey, dummies, Kubrick didn't want anamorphic, so they aren't anamorphic.
    For all the complaining that goes on in here that widescreen is best
    because it's how it's supposed to be I'm suprised this question is dared
    asked.

    theyak, Apr 29, 2005
  4. You call them dummies? I think you're the one confusing a few issues
    here. Sure, Kubrick preferred 4:3 to widescreen but A Clockwork Orange
    is released in widescreen. Wether Kubrick was happy with that has
    nothing to do with it being anamorphic or not, as anamorphic enhancement
    does not change the aspect ratio - it is a quality enhancement. Properly
    framed, the 1.66:1 ratio would contain the same picture in either
    non-anamorphic or anamorphic video.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Dan_Musicant

    Patrick Neve Guest

    I thought A Clockwork Orange was in variable aspect ratio.

    Patrick Neve, Apr 29, 2005
  6. Dan_Musicant

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    No, only Dr. Strangelove has a variable ratio. Lolita, Clockwork Orange,
    and Barry Lyndon are letterboxed throughout.

    The lack of anamorphic enhancement is entirely due to Leon Vitali,
    Kubrick's assistant, who has a complete lack of knowledge about the
    technical aspects of filmmaking yet insists that he is the definitive
    authority on Kubrick's wishes about these matters.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 29, 2005
  7. Dan_Musicant

    damnfine Guest

    I always hated Lord Bullingdon.

    damnfine, Apr 29, 2005
  8. Dan_Musicant

    napalm68 Guest

    How old is the bastard, and how long until he kicks the bucket and we can
    get a decent 21st century release :p

    napalm68, Apr 29, 2005
  9. Dan_Musicant

    John Howells Guest

    I was pleasantly surprised to find that the recent broadcast on Channel 4 in
    the UK was anamorphic, which I recorded directly from the digital broadcast
    stream on my PC and then wrote to DVD. Made me glad I did not pay for any of
    the second-rate non-anamorphic retail versions.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Apr 30, 2005
  10. Dan_Musicant

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    OK. I've only recently learned what anamorpihic is (both in
    film and digital video) so I'm a nubee. How the hell did you do
    that?? You somehow ended up with an anamorphic DVD of a TV
    broadcast???

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Apr 30, 2005
  11. Dan_Musicant

    John Howells Guest

    Well, the broadcast was anamorphic, as are many in the UK, and therefore so
    was the recording.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Apr 30, 2005
  12. Dan_Musicant

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    Mind sharing the name and type of capture device you're using?

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Apr 30, 2005
  13. It's probably what we Brits call "a DVD recorder". Stop me if I'm
    getting too technical. : )

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Apr 30, 2005
  14. Dan_Musicant

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    Yes, Steve. Stop !! ;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Apr 30, 2005
  15. Dan_Musicant

    John Howells Guest

    It's actually a DigiTV card from Nebula (or a Vision+ from TwinHan - I've
    got two PCs, one with each). The clue was in "... which I recorded directly

    John Howells, Apr 30, 2005
  16. Dan_Musicant

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    Thanks John! You've opened my eyes;-0)

    I have an "over-the-air-waves" HDTV capture card, but it doesn't
    tune the digital cable channels (gee, I wonder why;-0). So I
    had put it away in favor of the Hauppauge analogue capture cards
    for non-digital. Not too long ago I added a Motorola digital TV
    recorder, from the cable company, but its meager 80 gig HDD will
    record barely 15 hours of digital or a tad over 4 hours of HDTV
    material.

    However, I'd forgotten that I had the HDTV card until this
    exchange and I believe it has component input, which can mate to
    the Motorola's component output.

    You've been a big help - I hope ;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Apr 30, 2005
  17. Dan_Musicant

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:15:42 +1000, "napalm68"

    :How old is the bastard, and how long until he kicks the bucket and we can
    :get a decent 21st century release :p

    I don't know how long but I read a post recently suggesting it's
    probably not long now, maybe within a year. I guess I'll hold off. I
    really do want this movie on DVD, but will wait for the _inevitable_
    anamorphic version.
    :
    ::> :>> I thought A Clockwork Orange was in variable aspect ratio.
    :>

    Dan_Musicant, May 1, 2005
  18. Dan_Musicant

    Andrew Venor Guest

    The cable channel INHD was showing not too long ago in wide screen High
    Definition A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket. So
    wide screen video transfers of those films have been produced. My
    theory is that they are holding them back from DVD until HD-DVD hits the
    stores.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, May 1, 2005
  19. Dan_Musicant

    Sam Rouse Guest

    What's the big deal, anyway? The letterboxed ACO as found on laserdisc is
    barely letterboxed - the flick is supposed to look like a porn flick that you
    might tune in on pay-per-view in a sleazy motel. If you are looking for a
    perfect 1.85, it's going to be artificially matted and lose some of the picture.

    Sam Rouse, May 1, 2005
  20. Dan_Musicant

    Richard C. Guest

    ========================
    The big deal is that even 1.66:1 should be anamorphic on a DVD.
    If it is not it must be "zoomed" fro a 16:9 set and THEN it will be cropped
    top and bottom.
    If it is anamorphic, it will have barely visible bars on the left and right.

    If you zoom the LD (as I have done) on a 16:9 set, you lose about 20% of the
    picture.
    If you do NOT zoom it, you see it about 66% of the size is should be on the
    screen.

    No one is asking for 1.85:1 on ACO. Just an anamorphic DVD!

    Richard C., May 2, 2005