    through what I thought I needed to know ,which is obviously more than I
    thought. So I'm just wondering if I should purchase the 5th edition, I don't
    mind spending the extra cash if it helps me.

    carbonscoring, Sep 7, 2004

  2. carbonscoring

    SOS Guest

    What is the difference between the new CompTIA A+ exams covering the
    2003 objectives, and the CompTIA A+ exams covering the 2001
    objectives?

    Changes incorporated into the 2003 upgrade are not major. The
    certification content continues to validate important knowledge and
    skills necessary to competently install, build, configure, upgrade,
    troubleshoot and repair personal compatible hardware and PC operating
    systems, including troubleshooting basic network and Internet
    connectivity, dial-up, DSL and cable. The 2003 upgrade will also cover
    the latest memory, bus, peripherals, operating systems (Windows Me and
    XP) and wireless technologies in addition to technologies already
    represented in the 2001 objectives (e.g., Windows 9x and 2000.

    New A+ Exam Items Effective Nov 26, 2003

    * DDR SDRAM, RDRAM (Rambus), SoDIMM (Small Online DIMM)

    * Socket 423/ 478 Pentium-IV CPUs

    * USB 2.0 ports, SCSI Ultra Wide, IEEE 1394 Firewire

    * SSL, HTTPS, RSA, DES (56 bit), Triple DES (168 bit) encryption

    * 8X AGPs, cat 5e and cat 6 UTP cabling,

    * Win XP (in addition to 9x, NT4, and 2000)

    * CAD (Computer Aided Design)/ CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing)

    * Ultra ATA, SATA (Serial ATA), ATAPI (AT Attachment Packet
    Interface)

    The new exams have also went from an adaptive format to standard
    exams. Scores range from 100-900.

    SOS, Sep 8, 2004