    an "ADTRON Accent 'SCSI PC Card Reader'" box, anyhow? <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 2, 2006

  2. Andrew MacPherson

    ASAAR Guest

    Oops. Sorry for the unintentional ambiguity. I was looking for a
    SCSI PCMCIA reader, and discovered that Kodak was selling one.
    After adding it to the "shopping basket" and before finalizing the
    purchase I browsed the web site to see what else Kodak had to offer
    and discovered the tripod as well as a really nice inexpensive
    camera bag. Unlike the tripod, it has a Kodak label. I added them
    to the shopping basket, checked out and voila! Didn't use the bag
    for several years, and then got the famous Fuji, which is a perfect
    fit in the bag, with the camera on one side and a WA lens adapter on
    the other. Alas, no room for the mini/maxi tripod. :)

    ASAAR, Dec 2, 2006

  3. Andrew MacPherson

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, ASAAR:

    A Fuji camera, in a Kodak case? Seems blasphemous, or something! <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 4, 2006
  4. In the end I found a coin with a 4th side. The Pentax K100D has been
    widely reduced to 350ukp... down from 450, then 400, then I cracked. :)

    I still want the all-in-one capability of a bridge camera, but I think
    it's low light situations which have frustrated me most in recent years,
    so it's situations like this...

    http://www.andrew.mcp.dsl.pipex.com/mcp.htm

    ....where I hope to justify the extra bulk, weight, and expense of a
    DSLR. In a few weeks I will no doubt be back moaning about dust and no
    movie mode. ;-)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Andrew MacPherson

    Adam Smith Guest

    On 5-Jan-2007, (Andrew MacPherson)
    wrote:
    [cut]
    You will , Andrew , you will !!
    While I'm travelling my DSLR often gets left in the Car or Hotel Room.
    Please someone give me a bridge camera with good low light performance.

    Adam Smith, Jan 5, 2007
  6. Adam Smith wrote:
    []
    Large sensor, "should be good", but I can't comment how well the
    auto-focus works.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 5, 2007
  7. Brief report after a couple of days of ownership.
    Pro: Image quality (never has pixel peeping been so satisfying),
    excellent low light performance, adequate IS, weight training.

    Anti: Big, it's big. And heavy. Did I mention big? It's quite heavy as
    well. I miss my S1's (admittedly lousy low res) EVF! Live preview is
    definitely a step forward for cameras IMO and the sooner someone puts
    out a bridge camera with a decent sized, low pixel count sensor I'll be
    all over it like a rash.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 12, 2007
  8. Thanks for the report - but what camera are you talking about?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2007
  9. Andrew MacPherson

    ASAAR Guest

    It must either be one not previously mentioned, or Andy has gone
    batty, desiring a "low pixel count sensor". :)

    The FZ-50 isn't known for "excellent low light performance", but
    the Fuji has an EVF (does the FZ-50?). The Fuji is also large, but
    AFAIK, not particularly heavy. Maybe it was all a dream.

    ASAAR, Jan 12, 2007
  10. I mentioned a 4th coin, the Pentax K100D in the post I quoted from. Nice
    camera in IQ terms (which is what matters), but lumpy... and it's
    supposed to be small by DSLR standards. I foresee it being left at home
    a lot. :)

    As for my pixel count comment, it refers to camera like the 9100/9600,
    or FZ50 wasting their great sensor by stuffing it full of 9M(teenytiny)p
    instead of a more impressive, and perfectly adequate, 5 or 6.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 12, 2007
  11. Thanks, Andrew. I better put the camera in the subect line!

    I agree about the high MP count - the Nikon 5400 and 5700 with 5MP on a
    "2/3-inch" sensor represented a very good compromise point, which wasn't
    purely marketing-driven.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2007
  12. Andrew MacPherson

    ASAAR Guest

    But there was no mention of a Pentax or any DSLR in your message
    that I replied to, making an assumption that there was a 4th coin
    something that might need a bit of additional context or some
    clairvoyance to understand what you meant.

    With your explanation, I can now understand your desire for a "low
    pixel count sensor". In your message that it came from, the
    preceding sentence had you missing your S1's low res. EVF, and the
    next sentence, where you longed for a "low pixel count sensor" it
    appeared to be linked to a similar desire for a camera with "Live
    preview". I was wondering at that point if you might be referring
    to a DSLR, but the "Live preview" comment appeared to rule that out,
    and I wondered if instead, your "low pixel count sensor" was just a
    typo, where what you wanted might be a high pixel count EVF. Sure,
    an EVF or LCD display isn't a sensor, but all of us occasionally
    garble our words, sometimes accidentally writing the exact opposite
    of what we mean. Anyway, your Pentax DSLR is probably the best of
    the bunch, so I'm sure that you'll enjoy exploring its capabilities
    in the coming days. :)

    Well now, there's Nikon's new D40, which may be the best all
    around combination of a small, lightweight, low pixel count DSLR.
    Oops. Too late. But you'll probably get used to the Pentax's extra
    mass pretty quickly. :)

    ASAAR, Jan 12, 2007
  13. Sorry, I forget sometimes that not all newsreaders operate the same way,
    and that not everyone will have easy access to entire threads. I try not
    to quote more than is strictly necessary to stop wasting space on
    servers (and my hard disk :), but sometimes that'll cause problems.

    Glad it all made some kind of sense in the end.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 13, 2007
  14. Which is why I'm now thinking about a pocket-sized camera to fill the
    DSLR's capability gaps. One thing's for sure though, whichever camera I
    choose will have a 28mm wide end. Returning to 28-ish mm on the K100D's
    kit lens has been a real pleasure after a couple of years with my Canon
    S1's 35mm wide end. You forget what a big difference those few mm make
    to the framing capabilities.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jan 13, 2007
  15. Andrew MacPherson

    Rich Guest

    The use of the term, "bridge" camera to describe over-embellished P&S
    kind of falls apart when you realize the same tiny, crummy sensors are
    used in those that are used in $200 pocketable P&S cameras.

    Rich, Jan 13, 2007