A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011.

  1. David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011

  2. "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    > message news:j70lje$ntj$...
    >>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Now, there's a sensor that'd give me a bit of room to crop ... :)
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    Might need 64-bit versions of your software though, and I wouldn't fancy
    carrying the lenses around!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011

  3. "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message

    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    > message news:j70n74$v6m$...
    >> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:j70lje$ntj$...

    >>> Now, there's a sensor that'd give me a bit of room to crop ... :)
    >>>
    >>> Take Care,
    >>> Dudley

    >> Might need 64-bit versions of your software though, and I wouldn't
    >> fancy carrying the lenses around!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > But, hey, just think how sharp those 8 x 10s are gonna turn out ... :)
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    LOL!

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011
  4. David J Taylor

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 11, 1:52 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
    >
    >  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    That company has really taken aerospace (land and sky) by storm, they
    seem to be part of every military and space requirement for CCDs.

    RichA, Oct 11, 2011
  5. David J Taylor

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 11, 1:52 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
    >
    >  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Whew! "Gaia" For a minute I thought it was another one of those
    misguided NASA missions to study C02 or some Earth-bound phenomena.
    Nice to see NASA looking up, instead of down for a change.

    RichA, Oct 11, 2011
  6. David J Taylor

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 05:15:45 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

    > On Oct 11, 1:52 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > > wrote:
    >> A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
    >>
    >>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > Whew! "Gaia" For a minute I thought it was another one of those
    > misguided NASA missions to study C02 or some Earth-bound phenomena.
    > Nice to see NASA looking up, instead of down for a change.

    Had to find that word for a crossword puzzle a few weeks ago.
    Summat to do with the Greek Earth goddess

    Irwell, Oct 11, 2011
  7. David J Taylor

    Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:52:45 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    My missus has worked on most of the NASA projects at E2V including
    this one. Something to be proud of!

    , Oct 11, 2011
  8. <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:52:45 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>David

    > My missus has worked on most of the NASA projects at E2V including
    > this one. Something to be proud of!

    Yes, indeed, quite a few areas where we in the UK do very well, if
    quietly. One of the E2V folk posts here from time to time as well and
    it's always interesting to read his posts.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011
  9. David J Taylor

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 11, 1:10 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 06:52:45 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>A billion pixels for a billion stars - CCDs for astronomy - see:

    > >>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242383

    > >>Cheers,
    > >>David

    > > My missus has worked on most of the NASA projects at E2V including
    > > this one. Something to be proud of!

    > Yes, indeed, quite a few areas where we in the UK do very well, if
    > quietly.  One of the E2V folk posts here from time to time as well and
    > it's always interesting to read his posts.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    I wonder what they do with the rejected units? Unlikely they'd
    tolerate the kind of pixel death you see in say a lower-end Nikon APS
    sensor.

    RichA, Oct 11, 2011
  10. "RichA" <> wrote in message news:
    :

    > I wonder what they do with the rejected units? Unlikely they'd
    > tolerate the kind of pixel death you see in say a lower-end Nikon APS
    > sensor.

    Aw, they just name the stuck pixels as if they were stars...! 8^)
    --DR

    David Ruether, Oct 11, 2011