    headset microphone.
    Best regards,
    Dima

    D, Oct 24, 2007

  2. D

    Bob I Guest

    I suspect that it isn't the Microphone that is humming but that a HUM is
    heard in the headphones WHEN the microphone is plugged in? If that is
    the case then perhaps the problem is the filter capacitors on the
    motherboard or powersupply are the problem?

    Bob I, Oct 24, 2007

  3. D

    Guest Guest

    Your card may not be up to the job. Creative bought E-mu as I remember,
    think about a 1212m, it has balanced line and the same converters used in
    the Pro Tools stuff. You probably will never be really happy with the card
    you have now. For currently $50.00 on E-bay you can get a 1212m, a daughter
    card will even give you time code.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/EMU-E-MU-1212M-...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Guest, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Line in on the SB will be fine too. We're just fighting a lousy mic
    input and a selection of more-or-less lousy microphones. You can get
    away with lousy sometimes But not always.

    Laurence Payne, Oct 24, 2007
  5. D

    D Guest

    Thanks Bob I for your opinion!
    A HUM is heard in the headphones WHEN the microphone is plugged in and
    not muted. The hum is not heard when the microphone is muted.
    How to know which filter capacitors are the problem: on the

    D, Oct 24, 2007
  6. D

    Bob I Guest

    That would be a hardware issue, the powersupply would be the easiest to
    swap out. You've proved the soundcards don't make a difference.

    Bob I, Oct 24, 2007
  7. D

    D Guest

    Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
    Could a mainboard BIOS setting be the problem? The same hum was with
    an old power supply. The hum increases if I increase the microphone
    volume.
    Best regards,
    Dima

    D, Oct 25, 2007
  8. D

    Bob I Guest

    I would doubt that a BIOS setting would have an effect on this. Since
    the hum is being picked up in the microphone circuitry and being
    amplified, increasing the mike volume increases the sounds. You might
    try moving the sound card to a different motherboard slot to see if
    there is any reduction in the hum by moving it further away from some
    component.

    Bob I, Oct 25, 2007
  9. D

    D Guest

    Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
    I installed the sound cards to different slots. This did not help.
    Best regards,
    Dima

    D, Oct 29, 2007
  10. D

    Bob I Guest

    Then it would seem that the motherboard would be the problem. Is there
    perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

    Bob I, Oct 29, 2007
  11. D

    nobody > Guest

    Bob I wrote:

    snip

    Has anyone considered a bad AC outlet ground?

    Also, I've lost track of the REAL symptoms. Does the microphone output
    hum or do the headphones hum just because the mic is plugged in?

    nobody >, Oct 29, 2007
  12. D

    Bob I Guest

    Yes the headphones hum when the mic is plugged in and not muted.

    Bob I, Oct 29, 2007
  13. D

    Jim McCardle Guest

    I have personally had this sort of problem quite a while back. It was
    really bad if you moved the mouse. I found updating the mouse
    software fixed the problem. Also check if the IRQ that the sound card
    is using is being "shared", this can cause some problems also.
    JMCC

    Jim McCardle, Oct 29, 2007
  14. D

    D Guest

    Thanks Bob I for your help!
    There are no any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.
    Dima

    D, Oct 30, 2007
  15. D

    D Guest

    Thanks Jim McCardle for your reply!
    The hum is with a Logitec mouse. I will check with another mouse. It
    is really bad if I move the mic farther from the system case.
    Dima

    D, Oct 30, 2007
  16. D

    D Guest

    Thank nobody > for your reply!
    My apartment house does not have a third groud contact in AC outlets,
    because it is old. They cannot make the ground in such an old
    building.
    Dima

    D, Oct 30, 2007
  17. Is that what you've been told? Of course they can, in exactly the
    same selection of ways it would be done in a new building. Here in
    the UK it's legally required, and even the oldest buildings find a way
    :)

    Laurence Payne, Oct 30, 2007
  18. D

    D Guest

    Thanks Laurence Payne for your reply!
    Yes, that is what I've been told. But now, they are considering my
    requirement.
    How to check a quality of the grounding in AC outlets? I don't believe
    my apartment house electricians completely.
    Best regards,
    Dima

    D, Oct 30, 2007
  19. D

    Unknown Guest

    If no third ground contact, have an electrician remove the two contact
    outlet and install a three contact outlet. Connect the ground to the metal
    box.

    Unknown, Oct 30, 2007
  20. D

    Bob I Guest

    Also that metal box better be connected to earth!

    Bob I, Oct 30, 2007