    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

    TIA,

    Terry

    TG, Nov 17, 2007

  2. TG

    Mike Easter Guest

    So OE is getting online and resolving the address of the popserver.
    So whatever was in the addressline of that browser wasn't being accessed
    using whatever kind of connectivity the browser was configured to access
    with.
    Samething for that browser.

    What happens if you put in an IP address such as http://209.68.27.16/
    into the addressline of a browser? That link is for the IP Chicken
    which webserver answers to the IP address.
    What does that sentence mean? Besides called my ISP, what LAN settings
    did you set? How is IE configured in IE/ Tools/ Options/ Connections
    tab. Are you broadband or dialup?

    Mike Easter, Nov 17, 2007

  3. TG

    Whiskers Guest

    More information is required, eg which versions of Firefox and Internet
    Explorer? When you say 'timing out' what exactly do you mean - can you
    load the browsers at all? Which URLs have you tried? What error messages
    have you seen?

    Check the 'web proxy' settings - in both the browsers and in the operating
    system. I seem to recall that Windows 98 had some 'security settings'
    somewhere; check those. Look for a 'hosts' file. Clear any browser
    caches. Check the system time.

    Windows 98 is now very obsolete and hasn't had any security patches for
    years, so I wouldn't advise going on line with it unless you can keep it
    behind a very good router/firewall allowing it restricted access. If I
    were trying to revive that computer, I'd be thinking of one of the Linux
    distros intended for low-powered machines - see <http://distrowatch.com/>.

    Whiskers, Nov 17, 2007
  4. TG

    elaich Guest

    Absolute rubbish. Win98 was supported until July 11, 2006, and still gets
    patches for catastrophic vulnerabilities. It's probably safer to expose 98
    to the Net than XP or Vista, since it's a mature OS with all known
    vulnerabilities patched, and is no longer a target of malware writers.

    elaich, Nov 18, 2007
  5. TG

    Whiskers Guest

    OK, so I trusted MS when they told me that Windows 98SE was no longer
    supported in 2003 and I migrated to Linux rather than buy new hardware to
    accomodate XP. I did know they'd later given another year of support, but
    it's news to me that they were still issuing security patches less than 18
    months ago. But they aren't doing so any longer.

    I've found these references on MS's own site:

    <http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewinextndfaq> "Windows 98, Windows 98
    Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Support Extended". (Page 'last
    review' 14th Jan 2005).

    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx> "End of
    support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1" (Page
    updated 22nd May 2006) where it is stated:

    End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me

    July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98,
    Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft
    Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support,
    including security updates, by this date.

    [...]

    Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are
    outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that
    customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a
    newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as
    soon as possible.

    [...]

    Of course, that is what they said in 2002 so there is precedent for them
    changing their minds, I suppose.

    It looks as though my 'hasn't had any security patches for years' should
    have read '... months' but there still aren't going to be any more patches
    as far as I can see.

    Secunia still list three unpatched 'advisories' for Windows 98, rated as
    'less critical'. These have been unpatched since at least 2005 - one
    dates from 2003.

    Just because MS have withdrawn support does not mean that malware users
    are going to stop looking for and exploiting vulnerable computer systems.
    So I still wouldn't trust Windows 98 on-line.

    Whiskers, Nov 18, 2007
  6. TG

    nobody > Guest

    Not only that, it didn't have a lot of the XP-type vulnerabilities to
    start with. You don't need to patch what's not there.

    nobody >, Nov 18, 2007
  7. TG

    elaich Guest

    M$ patched the WMF exploit in Win9x, and has committed to patch any other
    critical exploits as needed. A sizable number of hits (over 20%) for Win98
    is still reported Net wide.

    I would still feel safer exposing Win98 than I would XP.

    elaich, Nov 19, 2007
  8. TG

    elaich Guest

    Exactly. The WMF exploit was aimed at ancient code dating back to Win3x. I
    would be very surprised to see another critical exploit of Win9x.

    elaich, Nov 19, 2007