    I have a FujiFinepix a330, 3 mp. Using the stock software that came
    with it, the best quality I can get is a 2016x1512 at 96dpi x 96dpi. Is
    this the best I can expect or will better software improve my dpi?

    Boooger, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Boooger

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I have a FujiFinepix a330, 3 mp. Using the stock software that
    Yes, 2000 x 1500 => 3 million so that's what you've got and what you'd
    expect in a 3 Mpixel camera ...
    The "dpi" number is totally meaningless until you go to print. In
    other words 2016 x 1512 at 96 dpi is the exact same file as 2016x1512
    at 4,000 dpi or 300 dpi or any other dpi when viewed on the screen ...
    until you go to print. You can change the dpi value to something
    different in pretty much any decent software package but it's
    irrelevant until you print.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Boooger

    Boooger Guest

    well.. when I go to print, I'd like better than 96 dpi. Is this a
    software thing, or 96 the best I can expect. My printer can print 600
    dpi.

    Boooger, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Boooger

    Boooger Guest

    read the rest of your previous post.. and just answered my own
    question. Thanks. What software would you reconmend?

    Boooger, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Boooger

    Bob Williams Guest

    As Bill indicated almost ANY image editing software will let you specify
    the size you want the print to be.
    e.g if you printed your 2016 x 1512 pixel image at 7" x 5" (actually 7 x
    4.5) the dpi (actually ppi) would be 2016 รท 7 = 288 pixels/inch (ppi).
    Perfect for an inkjet or online print.
    I recommend Photoshop Elements mainly because so many people use
    Elements or Full Photoshop that you can easily get online help with any
    problem you have.
    In the freeware category, Irfanview ( http://www.irfanview.com )is
    regarded highly in this NG.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 29, 2005
  6. If you are interested in only printing with very minor editing you might
    take a look at Qimage. One of the best printing applications around. Decent
    support and lifetime upgrades. It's the swiss army knife of printing.
    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 29, 2005
  7. Boooger

    Celcius Guest

    I'd second that, Ed
    I've had it for quite a while and I am totally satisfied. Although I use it
    only for printing, apparently it can be used for many other purposes.
    There's even a discussion group:
    Cheers,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Boooger

    kctan Guest

    Your printer 600 dpi is a totally different issue. It meant that printing
    dot size is 1/600 inch in diameter. Your image 96 dpi means 96ppi to be
    precise and that is 1/96 inch per pixel size (1/96x1/96 in square form).
    When come to printing, there is a relationship between them. For inkjet,
    change your image PPI to 1/3 of printing DPI and in your case is 200ppi
    printing at 600dpi. Your 2016 x 1512 is the image pixel dimensions.
    Therefore the print dimensions is 2016/200 by 1512/200 = approx 10 x 7.5
    inches.

    kctan, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Boooger

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Boooger writes ...
    There are two ways you can go, either keep this same number of pixels
    and change the resolution for printing, or do interpolation on the file
    to create more pixels. You need to decide how much resolution you
    want, as you noted 96 ppi isn't enough so say 200 ppi as a minimum. If
    you keep the same pixel count then you can almost make it to 8x10"
    (divide 2016 and 1512 by 200 for 10.08 x 7.56"). If you wanted to
    print at 300 ppi then 6.72 x 5.04" is what you can do without
    interpolating.

    If you wanted to print say 8x10" at 300 ppi then you need 2,400 x 3,000
    pixels so you'll have to interpolate your file since it's not big
    enough. Exactly how you do this depends on the software you're using,
    let us know which program you're using and someone with that program
    will chirp up with the exact steps.
    This refers to the OUTPUT of the printer, the number of dots of ink it
    can lay down. You don't need to give it 600 ppi (pixels per inch
    instead of dots per inch) for the INPUT file ... probably 180 -200 ppi
    will do OK with a printer like this and even high end printers like the
    Epson Professional models need a max of 360 ppi.

    The bottom line is that a 3 megapixel camera like you have will print
    about 5x7" at 300 ppi and roughly 8x10" at 200 ppi without
    interpolation, which is good enough for most users. Prints at these
    sizes from 3 Mpix usually look pretty good.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 29, 2005