95MP imager to be launched into space......

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Feb 20, 2009.

  1. David J Taylor, Feb 20, 2009

  2. David J Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    Not the largest ever. It has a .95 meter aperture with a 1.4 meter mirror,
    compared to 2.4 meter for the Hubble. Kepler has a very specific and
    limited mission, to continually image a segment of the sky for four years
    looking for very tiny variations in star brightness that indicate transits
    of relatively small planets. The large sensor is there to allow its entire
    field of view to be monitored continually.

    Incidentally the smallest extasolar planet yet discovered was discovered
    with the 1.8 meter telescope at the Mount John University Observatory in New
    Zealand.

    J. Clarke, Feb 20, 2009

  3. David J Taylor

    ASAAR Guest

    What a waste of money. Is there room on board for our talented
    anti-DSLR sock puppet troll? With just his little CHDK enabled
    Powershot, he'll be able to produce much better images, some of
    which will be sure to eventually stand beside his other award
    winning photos.

    ASAAR, Feb 20, 2009
  4. ... just the problem of sending the film back to the labs for processing.

    <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 20, 2009
  5. David J Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    Actually that particular job couldn't be done by film, since it's a
    photometry job, not an imaging job.

    J. Clarke, Feb 20, 2009
  6. This imager is taking six-second exposures continuously for three or more
    years....precision is the key to detecting the small variations of light
    resulting from a planet crossing a star's disk.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 21, 2009
  7. In the 60's, the first spy satellites returned their film to earth by ejecting a
    capsule that was caught by an airplane. Really.

    The capsule had a parachute and the airplane towed a trapeze-like thing that
    snagged the chute. I assume it worked at least some of the time. It's no
    wonder they went digital as soon as they could. -- Doug

    Douglas Johnson, Feb 21, 2009
  8. Yes, I know.
    Did they ever use analog transmisisons? I recall that some of the early
    satellites used TV cameras.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 21, 2009
  9. Rich wrote:
    []
    I was wondering what the pixel size was, but didn't read enough to find
    out. Remember that anything launched into space was probably designed
    with technology that's 5-10 years old, so I wouldn't expect it to compare
    with the latest ground-based instruments. Did you like the curved focal
    plane?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  10. David J Taylor

    ASAAR Guest

    Your fav. company has been there, done that! :)
    Aren't some (all?) current FF sensors stitched? Also :
    http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27013

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/dalsa.shtml

    and one of DPR's forum participants, Eric Fossum is not only an
    inventor that has a stitched circuit patent applicable to sensors,
    there's also this DPR forum post (reformatted a bit) :
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6690076.html

    ASAAR, Feb 22, 2009
  11. Yes, I know, my wife used to use a Schmidt Telescope on a regular basis.
    I was more interested in the implementation with flat silicon sensors and
    correcting lenses, with the multiple sensors also being mounted on a
    curved plane.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 23, 2009