  1. "you could probably build a much cheaper platform using
    the AMD Sempron processors."

    Oh dear.

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005

  2. "AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor"

    Oh dear! Oh dear oh dear.

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Why Longhorn, why not now.

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Yes im throwing mine away now :-s

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005
  5. No apps. Worse than Linux!

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 20, 2005
  6. No apps so why when Longhorn is released?

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005

  7. All major firms have surely started working on making 64-bit versions of
    their programs and drivers. Longhorn will have that support when it
    arrives. XP-64 is just a prototype really.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Donald McTrevor

    Fakename Guest

    Who said anything about the target being 1 or 2 years away?

    After 3, 4, or 5 years it WILL BE cheaper to buy a new one than upgrade
    the one you have to the current specs. RAM architectures are changing
    every few years so you'll need a new motherboard. You'll need a new
    video card to work with your new motherboard too. Right there you've
    replaced 90% of of your machine. If gaming is a factor for you then
    this is especially true as gaming requirements are the thing that is
    pushing the computer hardware industry.

    They days when an EFFECTIVE upgrade meant throwing another stick of RAM
    into your machine are over.

    And no one said anything about putting the old machine in the landfil.
    It will still be useful, just not as useful as it once was. At work
    we're still recycling P3, 733mhz machines. They run all the business
    type apps we want them to. Hell, I even put a 450mhz machine back into
    production not too long ago.

    But if you're talking upgrading vs. purchasing in the consumer PC
    market, purchasing wins hands down.

    Fakename, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Yes I noticed Dell do not 'do' AMD.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 20, 2005
  10. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    Hmm. Suppose that nets you a 15% performance increase. Now
    add up how much it would cost to replace ALL your
    applications. IMO, for most people it will be quite a
    while before that makes economic sense, they could gain more
    from merely buying the next-step-up CPU and/or upgrading
    sooner if the performance is an issue. It may be quite a
    while before the typical non-"workstation" needs over 2GB
    memory per process too.

    kony, Jul 21, 2005

  11. You can run 32-bit apps in XP-64, so I would only have thought that the
    performance of those apps could only be better in Longhorn. As far as I can
    tell Longhorn is planned to be 64-bit in the most mainstream editions.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 21, 2005
  12. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    That's about how long a cheap power supply with last in a
    modern box, if it makes it past the first few months.

    You have no idea what you're talking about, unless you're
    only considering OEM boxes.
    Your math is off by a large margin.

    Nobody ever said "upgrade" only mean one part did they?
    Actually I made a very valid point when I specifically
    mentioned the case. It would seem pretty clear that if the
    case were mentioned as a part to spend more on, it'd be
    reused.

    All depends on what you're buying. Purchasing new also
    means all new software, unless you want to no longer use old
    PC for much or only use the 2nd rate junk that OEMs pack
    with new PCs (besides office and windows).

    kony, Jul 21, 2005
  13. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    What are you thinking will cause this "better"?
    MS has made some vague claims about "some" things being
    faster in Longhorn, but so they did with past OS, using
    questionable methodology to arrive at such conclusions. It
    seems fairly clear that Longhorn itself will have higher
    overhead, and I fully expect that running same things you do
    today will be slower with Longhorn 64, not faster. Booting
    the OS might be faster, as well as a few power management
    areas, but a few seconds booting or 3 seconds off a wake-up
    are things I'm not nearly as concerned about as the REST of
    the time, regular system uses.

    We'll see how it does... can't help but think a properly
    tuned 2K or XP box will be a better choice until MS has
    released a service pack or two. Even then, I'm sure the
    Longhorn EULA is going to be a thing of *wonder*.

    kony, Jul 21, 2005
  14. Donald McTrevor

    Ardent Guest

    Do not despair. What is your motherboard? Look at the manual and the
    Web sites. I have a machine which I have been using with Cyrix 300 and
    a 4gb hard disk for several years and with the resources in the web I
    have upgraded it to AMD 450 mHz and 80gb hard disk. Definitely better
    performance now.

    Well, I do have other much larger machines which I use for my regular
    audio and video editing as well as CAD related work.

    HTH

    Ardent, Jul 21, 2005
  15. Donald McTrevor

    CBFalconer Guest

    Are you *sure* that is the most appropriate adjective?

    CBFalconer, Jul 21, 2005
  16. Donald McTrevor

    VWWall Guest

    You can get a free evaluation copy of WindowsXPProf x64 right now. I've
    been using it for a few months. It uses something called WoW, (Windows
    on Windows), to run 32-bit apps. They seem to run OK, but certainly
    don't run better! It's a problem finding 64bit drivers, and I haven't
    seen any real 64bit apps yet.

    AMD64 3000+ in a MSI K8MM ILSR MB (754pin) Found drivers for everything,
    even the on-board video. It's an inexpensive way to try 64bits. (<$200)
    Plug in an APG card, and it makes a pretty good Win32 system.

    There have been 64bit Linux distros for some time now! The Windows x64
    is available only in OEM. (Figure that EULA!) :-(

    VWWall, Jul 21, 2005
  17. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    True, but I never claimed "ram and video".

    Most things, yes, but practically, the difference is reusing
    as much as possible because it WILL reduce cost of buying
    same thing again. Certainly that must be weighed against
    the value of having a 2nd system for use or resale. There
    are different scenarios and desires- it's not the best
    option for everyone but for some it can be.

    Yes I hate that too but at least knowing it you can shop
    appropriately IF you shop there at all. I don't buy Dells
    but i can see an arguement for it in a corporate setting.

    If you say so.

    kony, Jul 21, 2005
  18. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    Probably more appropriate for public consumption than what
    I"ll be muttering when I read it, let alone a year or two
    later when non-affiliated MS zealots grace us with their
    (re)interpretations of it.

    kony, Jul 21, 2005
  19. Donald McTrevor

    Fakename Guest

    So you'll reuse the case. That leaves a bunch of old parts left over
    that are harder to sell than a working computer. What does that save?

    Fakename, Jul 21, 2005
  20. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    It saves $100, less if you only buy junk parts but junk has
    it's own risks beyond long-term viability for reuse. How
    much time would you put into selling parts? How much is
    that time worth? Lots of old boxes never get sold. If you
    didn't reuse the case it's just another waste of $.

    Maybe you're not the person it's the ideal plan for, but
    others DO know their needs, goals, etc, well enough to make
    that choice.

    kony, Jul 21, 2005