    little in this box that I'd consider using in the next.

    If you have to upgrady your PC less than a year after building it, you made
    some mistakes to begin with.

    Noozer, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    Yeah I never understand why someone deliberately tries to
    build a system that they expect to be in a landfill in 2
    years' time. $100 can often make a difference and a 2 year
    old system is relatively easy to sell for $150, if not
    useful for one's own secondary system. Who really needs a
    high-end box for a backup or generaly purpose/internet-kiosk
    type uses?

    I agree, though sometimes there is good value when early
    adpoters buy the slowest CPU. Early on the slower CPUs may
    overclock by a high %, or even if not, are usually quite a
    lot cheaper. The $ saved can often buy the 2nd CPU later,
    leaving the original for reuse or resale. Bottom line is
    that these days, if someone doesn't always be in the top 25%
    performance range they can compute for less than half the
    cost. THEN there's overclocking- kinda ironic that to be in
    the top 1% performance possible in any era you can't just
    buy your way in, have to work for it and it still may be
    cheaper than the top 25% performance range systems.

    These days though, a decent case and PSU will run over $100
    for a high-end system, it hardly makes sense to spend $50
    for low-quality case & PSU every two years then throw awy
    the old junk case & PSU.

    kony, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Donald McTrevor

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You forgot?
    It was only two-dimensional.
    Which is 939 pin? Are your for real?
    Not everyone is clever; not everyone is smart.
    The thinker.

    pcbutts1, Jul 19, 2005

  4. You'll be glad you got a Athlon64 when 64-bit Windows Longhorn fianlly
    arrives.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Agreed, although it appears to be debateable whether Don really needs
    the number crunching power of an Athlon 64.

    Random Person, Jul 19, 2005
  6. You make that sound like something very ususual.
    I wouldn't expectanyone to need to upgrade a PC within a year.
    Wow thats amazing!! Still? After a whole year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOW!!

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Something with 939 pins (approx)
    You don't say.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    It could be unusual in some cases- consider the typical PC
    is an OEM that comes far cheaper in it's base version.
    Adding many features at time of order will cost
    significantly more than buying same or better parts on the
    'net later.

    kony, Jul 19, 2005
  9. Donald McTrevor

    CBFalconer Guest

    Why? Will it avoid the impossible EULA? Will it run Linux
    appreciably better?

    CBFalconer, Jul 19, 2005

  10. Thats not true, it is normally cheaper to 'upgrade' at time of
    purchase, a look at any price list shows big disounts on such
    upgrades, as opposed to buying the items seperately.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 19, 2005

  11. What's Linux got to do with anything?

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 19, 2005
  12. Donald McTrevor

    CBFalconer Guest

    About the same as what Windows has to do with anything.

    CBFalconer, Jul 19, 2005
  13. Donald McTrevor

    Noozer Guest

    True, but most of these "is this PC OK?" type questions stress upgradability
    over usability.
    Sarcasm? For a valid statement? I know folks who aren't happy unless they
    replace something in their PC every month. I imagine that there are those in
    this group that would fall into that category.

    No smartass remarks here? I'm disappointed.

    Noozer, Jul 19, 2005

  14. What?! You must be insane Mr Falconer!

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 20, 2005
  15. Maybe not but a future buyer might find it find it desirable.

    Resale value is something to consider.

    I used to think my Cryix MII would be more than enough when I bough
    it.........

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 20, 2005
  16. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    We probably don't even want to consider that Longhorn 64
    might have sufficiently higher system overhead that same box
    is faster running XP.

    kony, Jul 20, 2005
  17. Donald McTrevor

    kony Guest

    Absolutely not. It's almost never cheaper. Some options
    aren't even available unless you choose the higher-line
    system. Instead of trying to make a vague observation, pick
    out a specific config. Take Dell for example, after many of
    their promos and discounts one can get a basic box for under
    $400, with the only cost-effective upgrade being upgrading
    from a Celeron to a P4- which is an aside as Dell just
    happens to have crazy-low Intel CPU prices, but the courts
    are looking into these things now too!

    kony, Jul 20, 2005
  18. Peobably more out of vanity than anything else I doubt most notice
    any percievable differenxr after an upgrade other than an imagined one.

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 20, 2005
  19. Firstly use www.google.co.uk and type in 939 pin AMD im sure a vast amount
    of info and products will come up.

    Secondly worrying about whether your upgrade is upgradable is the reason why
    idiots continue to use 200mhz Pentium MMX's.

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005
  20. It isn't now, but then it was.

    Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger, Jul 20, 2005