    This isn't about product complexity. It ia about Cisco business
    practices. And now, i have to figure out how to obtain that "upgrade"
    assuming it is reasonably priced.

    JF Mezei, Sep 13, 2010

  2. JF Mezei

    Rob Guest

    Apparently the offered product range differs per country.
    When I required a router for a small branch office and decided to get
    the 877, the local stores (in the Netherlands) that offered it had
    the Advanced IP Services Feature Set on it by default.

    When I later got an 887, which uses the new method of installing a
    "Universal" IOS image that gets restricted via "licenses", it came with
    a Advanced IP Services license as well.

    Rob, Sep 13, 2010

  3. JF Mezei

    Uli Link Guest

    Not really at runtime.

    If there is a software crash, the IOS likes to write a chrashinfo file
    to flash, which is between 200k and 500k.
    So if you have 1MB free after the IOS image (and a possible ADSL
    firmware image which is about 1MB too), you are fine.

    Also the RAM or flash demands in Feature Navigator are not always
    correct or something like reproducable. It's a rough estimate, usually
    more on the safe side.

    I'm running two 876 routers with quite complex configs (for those small
    boxes) with 128MB RAM / 28MB flash only with IOS 15.0.M3 as field test.
    Feature Navigator demands at least 192MB RAM. Still enough free RAM left
    after serveral weeks uptime.

    I've seen IOS images for Soho96 routers ( 12.3(11)Tx, 12.3(8)YGx )
    demanding 32MB according to FeatureNavigator that needed 48MB for stable
    operations, where 32MB were merely enough to boot with an empty config.

    Uli Link, Sep 13, 2010