    assigned manually.

    Thanks
    Amy.

    Amy L., Dec 5, 2003

  2. It would think it useful in cases where there is a differnet administrative
    authority on each side of the trunk. If you don't want their default VLAN
    polluting your default VLAN, so you can shunt untagged (default) packets to
    a VLAN other than your own default of 1. Or you might want to make it so
    that any default-default VLAN ("1") is explicitly enumerated on the trunk.
    If you have strict control over your VLANs and never expect to see a VLAN 1,
    this may help find rogue VLAN members.

    But I am really just guessing :cool:

    Phillip Remaker, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Amy L.

    KR Guest

    The command decides what will happen to an untagged frame that arrives
    on a trunk port.

    In your example, that will (or at least should) never happen, as you
    have two trunk ports interconnected. But if you have a client directly
    connected to a trunk port, and that client is sending both untagged and
    tagged frames (say, a Cisco IP phone tagging VoIP traffic with 802.1p),
    the command makes sense.

    KR, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Amy L.

    shope Guest

    If VLAN 1 is "native for that port - you can change this on various devices.
    But one of the issue you can get with a large VLAN structure is that the tag
    numbers are not used consistantly - this is one way to alter tag numbers as
    they cross the system since native vlan tag doesnt get included in the
    frame.

    Having said that the most common use seems to be in IP telephony, where a
    non tag aware device sites on a switch embedded in an IP phone and uses a
    single connection shared between the 2. The phone uses tags for its
    traffic - hey presto logically distinct voice and data traffic in different
    vlans.

    shope, Dec 6, 2003