802.1Q Cisco Trunking to a Nortel Switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by gzimmerer, Dec 4, 2009.

  1. gzimmerer

    gzimmerer

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dear Group:

    I always believed 802.1Q was a standard and that each vendor would be interoperable if they both followed the RFC. Unfortunately I am trying to get a Nortel Switch and a Cisco Switch to trunk across Ethernet ports, but easier said than done...

    I had believed I would simply include all Vlans in the Nortel port settings and then indicated PVID (Vlan 1) was not tagged.

    This should match the Cisco defaults that the native vlan (Vlan 1) is not tagged.

    Seems the native vlan IS working across the link, but the other Vlans are not.

    Any suggestions on what I am missing?

    Thanks,

    gzimmerer, Dec 4, 2009

  2. gzimmerer

    gzimmerer

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Solved

    Well it hurts when you are only partially right.... in my case it was overlooking spanning tree pruning.

    The solution is that you need an active device in the vlan on the switch to keep spanning tree from pruning the vlans and interfering with testing.

    For a reasonably good tutorial, check out ...
    velocityreviews.com article 3988091

    Maybe someone with greater rights than I will follow up with a post to the actual URL.

    gzimmerer, Dec 23, 2009