802.11g WLAN performance - HELP!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a very simple wireless home LAN:
    2 x XP SP2 PCs with 802.11g PCI adaptors (Mecer WPG2400) set to AUTO detect
    speed, connections ("good" to "excellent")
    1 x 802.11g AP (Mecer ARM904) connected via ethernet (cable) to ADSL router
    and WAN
    Network is connected and working
    BUT: throughput transferring file from PC to PC is +- 5mbps - my
    understanding is that I should be able to obtain 20-30mbps, depeding on
    conditions.

    Q1: should I expect better performance? If so, how do I home in on
    bottlenecks?
    Q2: when I connect to the network, I get a warning "network does not support
    turbo mode", although all the components in the network do. How can I enable
    turbo mode?
    Q3: pointers to the relevant registry entries, registry key descriptions and
    suggested values/tweaks would be vey helpful!

    Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm sure that there are lots out there
    that could benefit from some expert advice on what appears to be quite a
    common WLAN problem!

    Guest, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Guest

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Regular 802.11g should provide a bandwidth of 16-22Mb/sec. at a very close
    proximity.

    Once you move the client from the Access Point (Wireless Router) it is
    highly envioroment depended and every thing is a "fair game".

    "Speed" (Bandwidth) expectation of Ethernet Home Networks using Windows
    98/2000/XP. - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html

    Turbo mode is propriety setting and depends on the specific chipset that is
    used by the manufacturer. Your original hardware manual, and or the Brand
    support might help solve the issue.

    If you experience distance problem these pages might help.

    Extending Distance: - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless -
    http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    The most common "Trick" (and might be the only "Tweak" concerning
    performance) is Optimization of the TCP/IP stack.

    Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks so far. Here's an update: I connected a 3rd computer via an ethernet
    CABLE to the AP to test each wireless connection separately. Both computers
    TRANSMIT at a consistent 21-22mbps to the test PC, as expected. BUT both
    computer RECEIVE from the test machine at around 5mbps and judging from the
    netmeter graph, it looks as though the connection speed varies widely during
    the transfer. I would have expected both TX and RX rates to be the same, but
    this is not the case.

    Any suggestions??

    Guest, Jun 27, 2005