    (The transfer rates are as measured by Win XPs n/w speed graph)

    Anyone else care to comment on the speeds they're getting wired vs
    wireless.

    bof, Oct 18, 2004

  2. bof

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 18 Oct
    Sounds about right to me. I get about 20 on my 11g connection, and about 5 on
    an 11b.

    deKay

    deKay, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Have you compared the speeds over a direct link (no AP) and AP link?

    Michael Salem, Oct 18, 2004
  4. bof

    Secret S Guest

    I consistanly get 48 - 54 mbps. Drops ocassionaly, but it's perfectly
    useable.

    Belkin ADSL modem/router and Belkin 54g PC cards.

    **SS**

    Secret S, Oct 18, 2004
  5. bof

    [ste parker] Guest

    I get near bugger all, I counted myself lucky to get 9/10 recently, but
    then I was having a lot of trouble with the direction of my PCI card in
    relation to the router it was connecting to.

    [ste parker], Oct 18, 2004
  6. bof

    [ste parker] Guest

    Are you sure that's the actual transfer speed your getting, or is it (as
    I suspect) just what the connection details say you're connected at?

    [ste parker], Oct 18, 2004
  7. bof

    bof Guest

    No, not possible, as I've only a single PC card and single WAP.

    bof, Oct 18, 2004
  8. bof

    bof Guest

    My 16-17 is via a Netgear WAP and card

    bof, Oct 18, 2004
  9. I believe that a point-to-point wireless connection can theoretically
    use the full available bandwidth (54Mbps), but with a connection via an
    AP, the limit is half that (the wireless bandwidth is shared by traffic
    A<==>AP and AP<==>B. I don't have any measured figures.

    If an ADSL connection is involved. the wireless network does not limit
    the speed -- ADSL is much slower.

    Best wishes,

    Michael Salem, Oct 18, 2004
  10. bof

    [ste parker] Guest

    It can actually limit the speed, but only if the quality of the signal
    connection drops to way, way below standard levels of course.

    I noticed this at home, for some reason (neither the PC or the wireless
    router had moved) I started getting an absolutely terrible connection
    that affected use of ADSL, it cropped up while playing a game online.
    Moving the router and the PCI card helped get things back to normal (ie.
    well above 1mbit transfer again), but I still don't have the connection
    strength I had to start with, or the connection strength I can get from
    a laptop with PC card (all Netgear). Annoying.

    [ste parker], Oct 18, 2004
  11. bof

    Secret S Guest

    Hmm, you could be correct! How do I determine the actual speed?

    **SS**

    Secret S, Oct 18, 2004
  12. bof

    [ste parker] Guest

    I don't know about the supplied Belkin software, but the supplied
    Netgear software shows data tranfer rates when you copy something
    between devices via the network adapter.

    Alternatively, copy a file of known size across the network and time it
    :) Filesize (in MegaBytes) divided by time in seconds = MBps, multiply
    this by 8 to get Mbps (Megabits per second)

    [ste parker], Oct 18, 2004
  13. the 54 is the symbol rate over the air, not the data payload it
    carries. Bit of marketing double-speak.
    with a test utility I got 70-80 on wired and 17-24 on 802.11g with the
    same kit in the same room. Turning off security features and 802.11b
    compatibility can help, also my belkin stuff has a "g only " mode.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Oct 18, 2004
  14. bof

    [ste parker] Guest

    Aha! Unrelated to the OP, but I did set up 128 bit WEP around the sort
    of time when I noticed my connection not being as good as it once was on
    my wireless setup, didn't realise that this could cause any problems (no
    matter how small). Nor did I know about getting rid of the other
    compaitbilities (which I have no need of, but is an option on my
    wireless router), will have to give it a go and see what happens!

    [ste parker], Oct 18, 2004
  15. bof

    bof Guest

    If you've got WinXP on one of the machines press CTRL-ALT-DEL and click
    the Networking tab

    bof, Oct 19, 2004
  16. bof

    Secret S Guest

    Right! The network tab tells me I'm getting an average of 24mbps, never been
    lower then 11mbps, quite often 36 - 48.

    **SS**

    Secret S, Oct 20, 2004
  17. bof

    bof Guest

    Looks like you're doing well then, having done a bit of research most
    sites indicates a max of around 20Mb/s.

    bof, Oct 21, 2004
  18. bof

    Secret S Guest

    I do live in a small terrace house. Think Coronation Street in the country
    ;-)

    **SS**

    Secret S, Oct 22, 2004