802.11g cards can't see 802.11b network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I have Belkin 802.11b wireless router that I have used for my wireless
    home network. It works fine with my older notebooks and my belkin 802.11b PC
    cards I've used on my older computers. Now I have two new Gateway notebooks
    with built in 802.11g cards. My problem is that these computers with their
    built in 802.11g cards cannot see my home 802.11b network. Of course I've
    called Gateway and they say there must be a problem with router. Belkin says
    there must be a problem with the cards in the computer. Having called both
    places multiple times, spoken with different people, and reinstalled multiple
    drivers, I'm still no closer to getting this working and I've still not
    gotten a satisfactory answer as to why this isn't. I've traveled with these
    new computers and I know their built in cards work because I've used them at
    coffee shops and they always find the wireless networks there.

    I can use my old Belkin PC cards in these new computers and that works
    fine. However, I would like to continue to use them on the old computers
    (without the built in cards) and use the built in ones on the Gateways. Can
    someone tell me if this is going to be possible? Are these frequencies not
    compatable? Do I need to get a new 802.11g router, and then if I do that
    would I need to get new 802.11g PC cards for the old computers?

    Thanks in advance for any guidance.

    Ed

    Guest, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 20, 2006

  3. Guest

    Lem Guest

    In addition to Jack's response, and to respond to the very last question
    you had, if you buy a new 802.11(g) router, most (all?) home wireless G
    routers can handle a "mixed" network of both 802.11(b) and 802.11(g)
    clients. There are two caveats:

    When G routers first came out a couple of years ago, the presence of B
    devices on a mixed network often slowed the performance of the entire
    network. I don't know if this problem still exists.

    And, as Jack said with regard to your B router, your B computers most
    likely only are capable of WEP encryption. Because all devices on a
    wireless network must use the same encryption level, you will have to
    use WEP, even though your new 802.11(g) router and new laptops are
    capable of better encryption.

    Lem, Aug 21, 2006