800a0e7a Error using asp and access database

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    We'll searching has made me end up here and with no answers.

    I recently installed winxp 64bit pro and after setting my hp photosmar p1000
    to some random ass driver (brother PCL5e) that worked...then i moved on to
    installing programs and such and then to IIS.

    Everything installed fine and i setup permissions to my folders/files in IIS
    manager but when i pull up a page i get the following error.
    ---------
    ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'

    Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

    /tia/nav.asp, line 15
    ---------

    i've seen this posted on a few forums but no one can seem to answer the
    question, WHY???!!!!

    Why does it say that and when i goto to the odbc and try to configure the
    access driver i then get an error saying

    The setup routines for Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) ODBC driver could not
    be found. Please reinstall the driver.

    Well am I missing something because the MDAC page on microsoft does not list
    any compatible updates or installs for x64 pro. Please can someone give me
    an answer to this?

    Guest, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Ken Tucker [MVP], Jan 18, 2006

  3. For ODBC, you need to use the 32-bit version. The following may help:
    From a post by Pascal Deliot:

    It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
    you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
    on the 64-bit side of the system.

    32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
    side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
    64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

    To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
    and for 64-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    hi ken thanks for the reply...i voted for your suggestion!! Let's hope they
    do it someday!

    -Brandon

    Guest, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    hey charlie thank you for the reply, your suggestion seems to do the trick.
    now i just need to configure it so it works like it use to. i'm glad to have
    you guys help on this newsgroup!

    Guest, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    so i typed what you wrote and the odbc window opens and i can configure the
    access driver but if i goto start control panel it opens the same window but
    wont allow me to configure any drivers....

    and when i check the site i'm testing i still get the same error.

    can you help me set my iis and odbc up so my old stuff works on x64? thanks
    man!

    Guest, Jan 19, 2006
  7. No help here - I don't use ODBC for anything. But I knew Pascal knew his
    stuff, and he seems to have resolved it for most folks, so I saved his
    message. You're probably better off asking over on a NG that covers ODBC
    issues.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 19, 2006