    peter Guest

    For a few minutes I thought about borrowing a Gigapan Pro and entering
    the image in the SI. It would drive Bowser crazy

    peter, Nov 21, 2010

  3. Bruce

    peter Guest

    At one point I seriously thought about feting one. It can be sued to
    make some great images. But I decided that the gee whiz effect really
    didn't satisfy me.
    In the SI you will see two examples of the direction I am taking.

    peter, Nov 21, 2010
  4. David J Taylor, Nov 21, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I'm so pleased you enjoyed the image I linked to, and that you managed
    to resist the strong temptation to descend into pedantry about the
    pixel count.

    [Of course, had you done your research properly, you would find that
    their claim of a world record for a 360 degree panorama is justified.]

    Bruce, Nov 21, 2010
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Of course. ;-)

    It isn't the greatest pano. The choice of viewpoint (the Centre Point
    office tower) is a disappointment because there are too few
    distinctive 'foreground' features to make the image interesting.
    However it is one of the few tall office blocks in London which offer
    an unrestricted 360 degree view.

    So this pano is more of a technical tour de force than an attractive
    image. The Rio pano is a much more interesting image.

    Bruce, Nov 21, 2010
  7. Bruce

    nm5k Guest

    Way down there at the airport some stu is saying, welcome
    to Rio in Spanish.. And probably to stay in their seats until
    the plane comes to a halt at the gate.. :/
    You can tell it just landed from the puffs of tire smoke
    floating in the air, and also the speed brakes are up..
    Hard to tell the exact model without getting out comparison
    pix, but looks like an Airbus.. maybe a A319, as it looks
    kind of short.. Could be a A320..
    Pretty wild being able to pick out that kind of detail from
    such a large image.

    nm5k, Nov 21, 2010
  8. Which rules out viewing on the iPad, for example.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 22, 2010
  9. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Anyone who is foolish enough to waste $$$ on an iPad
    deserves all they (don't) get.

    Bruce, Nov 22, 2010
  10. []
    You obviously don't have one, do you, Bruce?

    Don't prejudge how others might value a particular piece of kit, even if
    you perceive it to be of little value.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 22, 2010
  11. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I had one loaned to me by a client for ten days. That was more than
    enough time to decide whether it was of any use.

    I tried very hard to like it - I have been an Apple user almost
    continuously since 1989 when I spent almost GBP 9000 on an Apple Mac
    SE and Laserwriter III NT - but I found it to be an exercise in
    complete and utter pointlessness.

    It also made me look more critically at my iPhone 3G, which I have
    since sold and replaced with an Android phone.

    My partner uses a tablet, principally to read books and use social
    networking sites while travelling. After trying an iPad, my partner
    chose an Android tablet that cost a surprisingly small fraction of the
    price of an iPad.

    Bruce, Nov 22, 2010
  12. I had one loaned to me by a client for ten days. That was more than
    Fair enough, Bruce.
    I agree that it's overpriced for what it it, but I cannot agree that's
    it's "an exercise in complete and utter pointlessness." I am not an Apple
    user normally, but in terms of photo storage and display I feel the iPad
    does have something to offer, albeit that the present software needs to be
    improved (it's seems like first generation to me). The SD-only nature
    suits me as all my current cameras use SD cards. It's a better reader
    than the Kindle, and all the functions like Web browsing, Twitter, Maps
    etc are way ahead. I like the display size as well, although I'd prefer
    less weight. I hope that the competition between these products will
    bring swift improvements in them all.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 22, 2010
  13. Bruce

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I think that's because it is first generation ;-)
    Well it's the first iPad.
    I guess so, but I'm also guessing that price and performance wise
    Apple
    will be pretty near the top of the pile, just like any other device.
    Which probably means I'll buy the Apple device if and when I want one.
    So for I've managed to live my life without a mobile phone, but when I
    get one
    it''ll probably be an iPhone of some type.

    Whisky-dave, Nov 22, 2010
  14. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    No Flash on the iPad, nor on the iPhone. Macs are different.

    Bruce, Nov 22, 2010
  15. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    It's good to see you commenting about something you actually own,
    rather than your usual definitive pronouncements about equipment that
    you have never seen or used. But the fact that you have spent a lot
    of money on your iPad means that you will inevitably defend it - fear
    of "buyer's remorse" tends to drive people's opinions about something
    they just spent their hard-earned money on.

    The consensus is that the iPad makes a very bad reader. My partner is
    an avid bookworm and reads several books a week including very active
    participation in a local book club. Several members of the club have
    bought iPads but all of them have gone back to their previous readers
    or bought new ones because the iPad is so inadequate. They mostly use
    Kindles but a substantial minority use the Sony readers. Their E Ink
    screens are vastly superior to any backlit device, especially one with
    a screen as glossy as the iPad's.

    My partner uses an Android tablet to read books on the road (due to
    lots of travelling for work) but only to avoid carrying two devices.
    The Kindle has just been replaced by a Sony reader that stays at home.
    I sometimes use the Sony but I prefer reading traditional books.

    The iPad is a nice toy that makes a statement about its owners - they
    are people who like nice toys. It is a massive triumph of marketing
    over substance. Alas, it suggests that Apple may now be pandering to
    fashion rather than designing things that work well.

    That's a very slippery slope to be on. Let's hope the Mac designers
    don't take the same route, otherwise I will cease to be a Mac user.

    The iPhone is rapidly losing market share for the same reason - it
    makes a great toy but a lousy cell phone. Once the iPad novelty wears
    off, and the upcoming Android alternatives start using the new version
    of that OS, watch the iPad's sales plummet too.

    PS: It was a LaserWriter *II* NT. One keystroke too many. It cost me
    GBP 4295 + VAT and offered a "superb" 300 dpi from its state of the
    art Canon-made engine. ;-)

    Bruce, Nov 22, 2010
  16. I'd reply, Bruce, but not when you're making insulting remarks.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 22, 2010
  17. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    I don't own an iPad and don't expect to ever have one. However, some
    of the members of the camera club I belong to have them. The device
    seems to be an excellent way of presenting images where other methods
    are not available.

    I'd never knock someone else's idea of what toy is invaluable to them.
    If you like it, and you can afford it, go for it.

    My mobile phone is an example of a toy that offers too much. It has
    all sorts of features that I'll never use. I make and receive phone
    calls, and send the occasional text message to my son and
    daughter-in-law (who can't take calls at work), but all those other
    bells and whistles are wasted on me.

    tony cooper, Nov 22, 2010
  18. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Looks like my remarks were accurate ...

    I don't know quite how you escaped my kill file, but I'll put you back
    so I am not tempted to waste time exposing any more of your nonsense.
    ;-)

    Bruce, Nov 22, 2010
  19. No need to do that, Bruce, simply reply in a civilised manner. I'm quite
    happy to have a dialog about topics of mutual interest - just keep the
    insults out of it when people don't agree with your opinion.

    David J Taylor, Nov 22, 2010
  20. I don't own an iPad and don't expect to ever have one. However, some
    Indeed, but the supplied software does need to be improved - organising
    slide shows into folders, and being able to set your own display order,
    for example. By default, the images are shown in order of EXIF taken
    date....
    Quite! Live and let live, perhaps?
    Same here. I have the cheapest possible phone, and it does for me. I
    feel the same way about the facilities it probably has, but which I don't
    use. A clear display and easy to see keys are more important than it's
    camera.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 22, 2010